PDA

View Full Version : How do helicopter companies that work with Groupon & Livingsocial make any money?

firebird_uk
22nd Apr 2012, 10:33
Before starting my examination of this subject I will state that my company does sell helicopter experience vouchers and potentially loses customer to the various “voucher pimps” out there, so there is an element of sour grapes here.

However, my fundamental question is around the overall business model as I cannot see that it is viable.

For many years now we’ve had the voucher sellers like Adventure001, Red Letter Days, Buy A Gift etc offering vouchers for organisations that are willing bend over and accept their terms. The model here is fairly simple, they offer vouchers at the same price as we do but they want a slice for selling the voucher and that equates to around 30-40%.

Using this model many helicopter companies around the UK are willing to accept vouchers where a 30 minute flight in a JetRanger will cost £139pp.

Exploiting the power of social media there are a number of other voucher sellers such as Groupon and LivingSocial. Their model it completely different. Here, it’s all about pulling the punters in with big discounts. But the problem is that the pleasure flying industry does not have big margins to give away. Unless, of course, you put your prices up significantly above those of the industry in general.

Now a 25 minute flight in a Jet Banger costs £260pp!

Normally this would be commercial suicide, but with the wonder of modern marketing via Groupon you offer a 67% discount making the flight £85. Bingo, hordes of unsuspecting punters fall for the lure of the big discount. Happy days!

Or are they? When I’ve been approached by these organisations they want discounts of 40% plus. So working on 0.4hrs per lift, 4 pax at £85, 2.5 lifts per hour you’ve got revenue of £850 / hr. Assuming you get bent over and stretched for only 40%, this leaves you with £510 / hr to pay for an AOC listed/maintained aircraft, fuel, landing fees, AOC pilot, loader and the time of the ops team to M&B each lift.

Think there might still be a sliver of profit there? Well what if to do these flights you had to position the aircraft from your base to an airfield that’s 150Nm away?

Ah, the old “get an hour builder to fly it at cost” ploy gets around that. Well yes, it might, if it weren’t for the fact that when I watched them arrive the AOC pilot was in the P1 seat and the “loader” was in the P2 seat. I saw no duals removed so I have to assume there were none.

By flying punters that are miles away from your home base there’s almost no chance of follow on charter work or trial lessons, so why do it?

I’m confused, but willing to be educated! :confused:

Don't get me started on the levels of airmanship I witnessed. :=

JimBall
22nd Apr 2012, 10:40
"Now a 25 minute flight in a Jet Banger costs £260pp!"

You sure you've got that right - per passenger?

firebird_uk
22nd Apr 2012, 10:56
That's what is says here (http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/maidstone/hh-helicopters/853333).

initalcontact
22nd Apr 2012, 10:58
I think you have answered your own question firebird_uk

By flying punters that are miles away from your home base there’s almost no chance of follow on charter work or trial lessons, so why do it?

You have to ask yourself a question, if you are making no money (or very little) from these companies, just say no. Why do it?

I knew of a company that was actaully making a loss on each of these flights, in the hope they would get repeat business, which of course they never saw.

There is a saying about "being a busy fool" - I think this phrase is perfect for this situation. I am not calling anyone a fool, but I think you get what I mean.

Next time they call, say you want to increase your price or refuse their vouchers :ok:

JTobias
22nd Apr 2012, 13:44
Hi

Don't use a Jet Ranger, use a 44 and make the trip shorter !

I think you will find that most people that want a flight in a helicopter don't scrutinise the details. It's just a flight in a helicopter !

Joel :ok:

Camp Freddie
22nd Apr 2012, 13:57
I reckon a 25 minute flight in a 206 should be about £280 total, thats £70 each.
I got this figure from £700 per hour (inc vat) x 0.4, as far as I can see there is no real discount here from groupon, and £260pp for 0.4 equates to £2600 for the a/c, (260 x 4) / 0.4 = 2600, jetrangers are OK, but not worth that much, comments ?

FairWeatherFlyer
22nd Apr 2012, 16:56
The flights don't seem under priced for 0.4 (and in an area where no holding would be expected (parachuting?)), but as already states the question is what percentage is the 3rd party is taking.

Some factors that might affect this are: 1) the guarantee of volume through the 'deal is on' quantity threshold, 2) using 3rd party for a small sale and getting a secondary benefit from advertising, 3) reaching an audience who might not normally consider / look for the service, 4) being able to fill gaps at short notice to make better use of fixed costs.

There would also be some value in a vendor having the option to pull the offer pre threshold, i don't know if these companies offer that??

This does refer to Groupon taking a 50% cut and some interesting tales of what happens when you don't control volume:

BBC News - Seminar to help Berkshire businesses after Groupon cake vouchers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-15801122)

(I've just scrolled down on the cited example and it does look like prime advertising for all the services offered so as an occasional one-off it could be one of the best value adverts you'll ever get. The marketer has a sense of humour, "badger racing"?!)

goldeneaglepilot
22nd Apr 2012, 18:07
I think its worth anyone affected by the Groupon practices, that is either a customer or a competitor of the company providing the "discounted" service should contact their local trading standards office and complain.

Groupon had a run-in with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) earlier this year and gave a written undertaking to the OFT.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer-enforcement/Signed_undertakings.pdf

Investigation into the trading practices of MyCityDeal Limited (trading as Groupon UK)* - The Office of Fair Trading (http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/consumer-enforcement-current/groupon/)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa438/dh12554/Grouponundertaking.jpg

misterbonkers
23rd Apr 2012, 05:22
You should also factor in that a significant number of gift vouchers go unused (even helicopter flights).

Traditional the number is about 25%.

The other trick is to offer short validity periods but, to keep everyone happy) allow the purchaser to extend the voucher if it has expired. The fee charged direct by the provider meaning margins are mainained.

If you're selling fight by volume, and have access to one, an old longranger is one of the best bets.

Please also remember that fo every hour the aircraft is rotors running, it generally equates to 0.7 - 0.8 in the air (proven by the R44 Datcon).

So with the right machine, some smart flying, and every seat filled, you can still make money. The more hours a machine flies the cheaper its annual DOC will be thus low profit pleasure flying can mean higher profit flying for other tasks.

Ready2Fly
23rd Apr 2012, 08:42
It might work as already explained by some people here and also

a) pilots are (fairly) fresh cpl's willing to work for little or nothing just to gain hours
b) groundcrew gets close to zero but the flight to/from the area (yippie)
c) purely volume of tickets sold vs. no-shows
d) this business is just an add-on and keeps your R22/R44 another 200 hrs in the air which is already flying ~300-400hrs a year.

When i got approached by citideal and then groupon and looking at their discount selling strategy i decided no to get into the business as i found it just inappropriate to use this kind of advertising/marketing.

Your mileage may vary.

firebird_uk
23rd Apr 2012, 12:08
I can see that there is money to be made from those that buy, but never use their vouchers. However, I believe that with Groupon you have no visibility of the customer unless they register the voucher with you. It is only by being able to quote the Groupon voucher number once you have flown them that you will get paid.

If 20% do not register then Groupon keep the money.

I was also under the impression that flight time on a JetRanger was startup to rotor stop - so "the datcon" is running during any changeovers. Surely this makes 1hr = 1hr, not .7 as I accept you'd get when using a 44.

Cylinder Head
23rd Apr 2012, 12:33
This aspect of the market has gone through many changes during the last few years. Voucher companies used to add their profit on top of operator prices, now they want massive discounts and they set operators off against one another by claiming that each one is more expensive than the next. Don't believe them!

Letting voucher companies set the price artificially holds prices down and prevents market prices from rising to reflect ever increasing increasing costs. If voucher companies are not made to charge a premium over our operators' prices, returns to operators will continue to be eroded!

It is vital for the profitability of the industry that we do not let voucher companies have our services at a discount. They should at the very least be made to match our prices - is not uncommon to find ourselves undercut by them for our own products.

If we all adopt the attitude that a product costs what it costs and that no discounts are available, the voucher companies have to add their profit on top of ours and not in substitution.