PDA

View Full Version : Scot Airways Drops GLA; Concentrates on EDI-LCY

The Guvnor
11th Jan 2002, 17:32
<a href="http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=36152002" target="_blank">Scotsman article here.</a>

snooze_ya_lose
11th Jan 2002, 21:01
Hmmm, sounds like the last gasp of a dying airline.

The only times to make money on that route are mornings and evenings, historically mid-day flights never attract much custom (which is why the ramp is always empty at that time of day!)

From what I hear, the peak-time ScotAirways flights aren't exactly full either...

Buster the Bear
11th Jan 2002, 21:09
Just compared a weekday return from London to Edinburgh. Like for like date and timings.

easyJet £60 from Luton. Peak and off peak flights.
ScotAirways £273 from London City off peak flights. 450% more expensive!. ScotAirways

unrestricted business fare is quoted as £306!

LTN man
11th Jan 2002, 23:01
Inverness, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Paris, Luton and Cambridge all dropped. If they carry on like this they will soon be a one route airline

Mister Geezer
11th Jan 2002, 23:22
According to a Scot Airways spokesman, The Aberdeen and Inverness routes have been temporally suspended' (Will we ever see them back????). The feature in the local paper also stated that Dundee - London City will continue as normal.

In the local rag today a local reader wrote in to the paper and said that he just couldn't justify flying Scot Airways (ABZ-LCY) when he could fly with BA to LGW for half the price and get the Gatwick Express into London and still save money and still get into the city of London before he would of done with the first Scot Airways flight of the day.

I hope the new EDI schedule works well.

MG

snooze_ya_lose
11th Jan 2002, 23:48
Buster the Bear, nice to be loyal, but the reason that the higher fares work is the convenience of the destination- not a phrase that describes Luton, which is basically a transport nightmare for central London-bound pax.

This is the reason that BE carry so many Business-class pax on the route.

Buster the Bear
11th Jan 2002, 23:51
The loads and more importantly the yeilds on the service from Luton to Paris were excellent. At one stage even rumours of a code share with Air France to interlink with thier world wide network, but still after all this, the route was dumped!

Lets hope for an easy to Orly soon?

16 flights per day each way between Edinburgh and London City, but a lot of these services are on BEA 146's, so what is happening to ScotAirways aircraft and crews?

LTN man
12th Jan 2002, 00:12
Have to say that I thought the Luton – Paris service was a nice little earner for Suckling but greedy Souter who took over and renamed the airline Scott Airways thought he could earn more money flying City types to places they didn’t want to go. He has dropped a B*ll*ck and has put into doubt a well established though small airline that was doing very nicely.

[ 11 January 2002: Message edited by: LTN man ]</p>

swede-basher
12th Jan 2002, 17:09
I always thought Roy and Co had a great little airline that had found it's niche and made a living for the small band working there. This latest move and the dropping of routes is very disturbing, I just hope Mr Souter and Co have not F@@ked things up. Mind you with the cost of Landing Fee's at LCY you don't need to drop too many pax to become borderline.

Best of luck to all at Scot.

fudpucker
12th Jan 2002, 17:11
Actually, the Luton-Paris wasn't a "nice little earner", it struggled to break even most of the time, and was more trouble generally than it was worth.
All said and done, I wish the company well, Merlyn and Roy know how to survive the bad times,always provided they're left to run it their way.It was the boom times they had a problem with!