PDA

View Full Version : PPL and Airline Training

skyways1452
21st Apr 2012, 12:58
Hi All,

I've recently secured work experience with a UK transport provider as part of my degree course. My plan has always been that if I didn't get a placement in the aviation industry that I would use a portion of my salary to get a PPL at my local flying club. Partly because I'm impatient to get up there and learn and partly because it would improve my chances on an airline mentored scheme. I've decided that, in the short term at least, I am not prepared to hand the likes of OAA/CTC my money on a self-sponsored basis considering the terms up for grabs and the current trading environment.

My understanding is that a PPL shows a real interest and determination to fly and something to 'chat' about in interviews. Having got myself to the final stage of many mentored schemes and cadet programmes I feel that this combined with my work experience should put me in good stead in the future.

The only occasion I've really heard where this can be a negative is in the BA FPP where there were mixed rumours that people with less (or no) flying hours were preferred probably because of the 'bad habits' theory. Can anybody comment on the FPP, or any other scheme in fact, when a PPL may disadvantage a candidate? I've heard that some have referred to BA taking 'low houred' PPLs but I'm not sure where. on the experience scale, that is exactly.

Thanks

Shawrey
21st Apr 2012, 13:59
Some flying schools are more reputable than others. A PPL from one of these reputable organisations would defiantly benefit you at interview and through applications, if at the end of it you kept your hours low.

A low houred PPL would be in the region of 50-75 hours total time. BA had a guideline of 100 hours being and absolute maximum, however some MPLs have definite cut off points. Don't forget that PPLs can cost in excess of £8000 at reputable organisations. You have to ask yourself if its really worth it.