PDA

View Full Version : Mobile telephone signal.

RedhillPhil
20th Apr 2012, 22:21
I'm puzzled - it don't usually take much.
I've owned a Nokia mobile telephone for a few years. I don't know the model number but it's a neat little jobby that unfolds to reveal a querty keyboard. It's served me very well in that all I need said device for is to make and receive calls. Over the past few days it's virtually impossible to get a signal with it. I have to be outside. Within the house, car or train it's stopped getting a signal. The man in the Vodaphone shop has no explanation. I've now aquired another little Nokia and now I'm getting a signal again. My question is: Do mobile telephones "wear out"?

vulcanised
20th Apr 2012, 22:31
It could be that its transmit side has lost some power output.

If the base can't 'hear' it then it will not make a connection.

exgroundcrew
20th Apr 2012, 23:19
Had the same problem with my HTC two weeks ago, it just lost signal, it turned out my phone was set to use network Mode GSM or WCDMA (2nd and 3rd Gen). But the local transmitter for WCDMA is currently very weak (even though it's only 300 yards away). Because it could just pick up this signal it tried to use it and would not switch to GSM. I have now set phone to GSM only and now have full signal. Vodafone say I will have this problem to end of April while they update their network.

stumpey
20th Apr 2012, 23:36
Signal strength? Bah! I checked the balance on mine the other week and found its only 3.50 some thing.

Seems like I'll have to get around to buying some credit this year! :{

Lancelot37
20th Apr 2012, 23:51
3.50 - wow that's about what I spend every year on my P.A.YG mobile phone. Some years its less than 3 a year.

Noah Zark.
21st Apr 2012, 01:26
Exgroundcrew,

Re: Vodafone say I will have this problem to end of April while they update their network.

I live in the suburbs of the city, plenty of population, shops, businesses, etc. around me. Absolutely rubbish signal, only improved if I swing from the light fitting in the attic, and if the full moon falls on a Leap Year Day, etc. Many complaints to the outfit throughout last year, and ended up with the exact same excuse as the above quote, except it was "after Christmas".
After Christmas came, and now the signal is worse!
I sometimes pick up the code for the next town, the centre of which is almost eight miles from where I live, but then a breeze blows, the branches move, and its gone again!
Completely underwhelmed! :ugh:

sitigeltfel
21st Apr 2012, 05:54
My question is: Do mobile telephones "wear out"?

I would have thought that the microphone on female owned phones would be the first bit to pack up. :E

OFSO
21st Apr 2012, 07:53
the microphone on female owned phones

Like indicator lamps on a French-owned car !

mixture
21st Apr 2012, 09:45
The man in the Vodaphone shop has no explanation.

They very rarely do. :E

Fareastdriver
21st Apr 2012, 09:51
They very rarely do.
Probably only started his job last week.

RedhillPhil
21st Apr 2012, 10:49
Had the same problem with my HTC two weeks ago, it just lost signal, it turned out my phone was set to use network Mode GSM or WCDMA (2nd and 3rd Gen). But the local transmitter for WCDMA is currently very weak (even though it's only 300 yards away). Because it could just pick up this signal it tried to use it and would not switch to GSM. I have now set phone to GSM only and now have full signal. Vodafone say I will have this problem to end of April while they update their network.

Ah, this might be the answer. Could you explain in words that an old retired railwayman can understand how to do that please?

sitigeltfel
21st Apr 2012, 12:59
I saw an article on the TV weeks ago about poor reception in some areas being due to the new generation of smartphones gobbling up bandwidth, and the providers struggling to upgrade their equipment to cope.

exgroundcrew
21st Apr 2012, 13:39
On my HTC you go to "Settings" then "wireless & Networks" then ""Mobile Networks" (not Mobile Network) then "Network Mode" this allows you to select either "WCDMA only"," GSM only" or GSM/WCDMA auto". I select GSM only,

This is for the HTC Desire, you may need to hunt around your settings to find this option on your own phone.

Hope this helps