PDA

View Full Version : OCZ SSD not visible in My Computer

gas path
20th Apr 2012, 17:17
Ok Ladies and Gents!
My Maxtor HDD is getting a bit noisy mechanically so I intend on replacing it.
I have installed an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and downloaded Easus Disk Copy..(Any comments on Easus?) ready to clone. On startup the 'installed OCZ drive satisfactory' dialogue popped up and it is visible in Device Manager BUT it is not visible in My Computer.:confused:
I pulled it out and the green ready light is on...Any ideas?

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2012, 18:19
Possibly you may need to initialize, partition and format it.

This is done in Disk Manager / Management (depending on what version of Windows you are using).

SD

gas path
20th Apr 2012, 18:37
Of course...stupid me! Such a long time since I've needed to do that.
Sorted now Thanks:ok:
Any thoughts on the Easeus software for cloning?

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2012, 19:30
I have no experience with Easus - I've only used Ghost and Acronis.

SD

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2012, 21:59
never even heard of it
I just use Acronis, Clonezilla and DriveimageXML depending on the circumstance because they work, the latter two are free, and you can usually use the trial version of Acronis for a one-off copy

gas path
20th Apr 2012, 22:21
Ok Thanks for that! I like free... free is good! I will investigate tomorrow. BTW my fault its spelt Easeus. I have used their partitioning tools before but never cloning, always on the lookout for something better or recommended.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2012, 22:45
Acronis True Image is by far the easiest, and you can download a 30-day trial which should let you create an image and then copy it
The other two are a bit more idiosyncratic

if the existing hard drive is a Seagate or Maxtor you can download a fully functioning free version from the Seagate website
Some of the other drive companies also have a similar deal (Western Digital for one I think...)

the Seagate / Maxtor version - DiskWizard - is here
DiscWizard | Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD)

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2012, 22:59
MM is right - disk vendors tools are good and free.

WD is Data Lifeguard Tools (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3&lang=en) - actually includes a WD version of Acronis.

SD

Bushfiva
21st Apr 2012, 01:03
EaseUS is fine, it is basically a clone of the old Partition Magic.