PDA

View Full Version : Your Nicest Airline Experiences

FlyingGoggles
20th Apr 2012, 15:32
I've just had a rather nice, swift reply to a bit of positive feedback I sent over to EZY earlier this week, pertaining to a flight I took back in October. It's important at this point, to mention I am a somewhat nervous member of the SLF community when it comes to flying.

Short version of events: Nervous FlyingGoggles boards flight to Paphos, first time flying with just a friend, and to add to that, I have a visual impairment. Tell CCM about visual impairment, get treated very well, even had the offer of a personal safety demo if I needed it. I didn't need this, so politely declined. Flight delayed 45 minutes on the ground due to ATC. Flight crew invite children and anyone who wants to say hello, to do so. They then spend a lot of the delay with me and another nervous pax, reassuring us and going through all our fears and concerns. Flight then takes off and is uneventful and pleasant.

Basically, in the weeks after the trip, real life got in the way, and I forgot to submit the feedback then. As I said, I am SLF of the nervous kind, and am on various websites and forums to help with this. After recounting my good experience to another poster on one such board earlier this week, I realized that this feedback needed to reach the people involved, so sent it off. Then this afternoon, I get a very nice email saying thank you, and that the feedback will be passed on to the relevant crew.

So, anyone had any particularly memorable flights, or even customer care before/after a flight? People are so quick to put in complaints, I thought we could have a nice, happy thread where we highlight the good bits :)

average-punter
21st Apr 2012, 17:28
I never got a response to one I sent to BA :( It was a great flight from LHR-EDI. A member of the CC saw I was looking into the flightdeck and asked if I would be interested in a visit, of course I jumped at the opportunity after a quick check with the Captain he sent me in. Both the Captain and FO showed me loads of stuff and answered all my questions. I was also invited back after landing where I was shown more stuff and a few bits about how the A321 is different to the A320. Really good service and great guys.

It's a shame I never got a reponse. I remember the flight clearly. Thursday 5th August 2010 on BA1442. It was a A321. If any of the crew are on pprune, thanks very much for the great service and help you gave me :ok:

Tableview
21st Apr 2012, 17:49
I've just had a rather nice, swift reply to a bit of positive feedback I sent over to EZY So have I. I find the manner in which was this was handled both on board and subsequently to be most impressive. As we all know, in any business, things can go wrong, and it's the way in which that situation is handled which differentiates good from bad.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been using easyJet since the airline commenced services in 1995, often several sectors a month. This is only the second time I have escalated a complaint and I am a loyal supporter of easyJet, using your services whenever possible in preference to those of competitors.

On 28 MAR 12 I boarded EZY xxxx at LGW. I had checked in one bag and had one cabin bag which was neither full nor heavy, slightly smaller than the allowed size. At the boarding gate I was told that this would have to go into the hold due to lack of overhead locker space.

As it contained items such as three sets of keys, money, passport, electronic equipment, two phones, a cheque book, and legal documents which I did not want left at the mercy of baggage handlers I told the agent this was not acceptable, and was told I had no choice. Your own regulations state “you must not include in checked baggage fragile or perishable items, money, jewellery, precious metals, silverware, computers, electronic devices, negotiable papers, securities or other valuables, business documents, passports and other identification documents or samples. Conditions of Carriage Article 9.1(c).”

I trust that you will appreciate my annoyance at this point, when I had to unpack my case on the floor, remove the valuables and find somewhere to put them. I suggested that at the very least the airline should provide some type of package for such small items as this is clearly something which happens frequently. The minimum you could do would be to provide a plastic carrier bag for small carry on items.

I had to walk onto the aircraft with these items in my arms, very inconvenient, undignified, and cumbersome, and find somewhere to stow them safely. Under the seat in front is clearly not safe for keys, phones, documents, and so on. I told a cabin member that I wanted to make a formal complaint and after one cabin attendant had tried to talk me out of doing so, the cabin manager (Joe) came and offered to have a chat later in the flight.

I was able to have a long and pleasant chat to Joe, who was helpful and sympathetic, and like most of your cabin staff, is a credit to your company and I do hope this will be passed on to him. He mentioned that this is one of the commonest problems they face on a daily basis.

I appreciate that sometimes there may not be adequate space and I have observed that this is because people who board early often do so with an excess of cabin baggage and are not stopped from doing so, thus it is those who board later who are penalised. Your conditions of carriage state 'You can take one piece of hand baggage into the cabin with you …............' which you then contradict by saying : 'On busy flights we cannot guarantee that we can fit all baggage in the cabin.......'

I understand that it may not always be possible to fit all items into the overhead bins, even though at least one of your competitors offers carriage of two pieces of cabin baggage. If from time to time you need to remove passengers' cabin baggage, the least you could do is offer an alternative for small valuables and here I see a valuable marketing opportunity. An easyJet branded reusable fabric bag of the type sold in supermarkets with a slogan like 'for your bits and pieces' would be a good promotional gimmick with a small unit cost to you, would defuse the irritation that passengers feel when this happens, and could even be sold on board.

I trust you will consider this or some other solution to this problem.

Yours faithfully

xxxxxxxxxxxxxThe reply, received within a couple of hours :

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your letter dated 4 April 2012.

I was pleased to read that you are a long standing loyal supporter of easyJet so I was therefore genuinely concerned that you are so unhappy with an aspect of our service that you felt the need to write to me.

I do understand the point you are making in respect of our capacity to store all hand baggage. This is an issue that we have identified internally and are working hard to address.

The majority of our flights have a passenger capacity of 156 and your flights departed with a high passenger load. On each easyJet flight there are of course a different amount of passengers who bring carry on luggage that can be stored safely in the overhead lockers or under the seat in front of them, but from time to time an excessive ratio of passengers do and our staff have to try to find ways of storing this baggage within a very limited amount of time so that we can hopefully prevent a delay to the flight. It is a fine balance to attempt to maintain and this is why we are currently working on a project with view to making adjustments in regards to our baggage policy. When this is finalised full details will be published on our website.

For now, as the policy stands, we do our best to implement it consistently across our network where capacity allows, however each flight will have differing circumstances and from time to time our Handlers are permitted to make operational decisions taking all factors of the day into account. I agree with you that the way your situation was handled was stressful and I fully understand your annoyance. I will make sure this is passed on to our staff at London Gatwick so that they can work on a suitable way of addressing the issue.

I will also pass a copy of your letter to our Head of Customer Experience, Lisa Burger. Customer feedback and suggestions are vital to us so that we can pinpoint the areas of our operation that need attention.

I hope you feel assured that we are continually striving to provide a smooth journey for our passengers and I sincerely hope that you see a marked difference on your next easyJet service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

Best,

xxxxxxxxThe next day, I received a letter from customer services :

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx

I am extremely concerned to learn about the circumstances prompting your correspondence. At the same time, I would like to apologise and can understand the level of discontent this experience must have caused you.

This enhances my uneasiness whilst reading that your hand baggage was put into hold. I can understand how difficult it would have been for you carrying your valuables in your hand. This is not a general exercise that easyJet follows but this happens on some of the flights when they are full. Hand baggage is always accommodated on first come first serve basis and once there is no space in the overhead lockers, hand luggage is checked-in as hold at no additional charges. This is done for security purposes to ensure a smooth travel for all the passengers.

Further, we advise the passengers not to carry valuable or electronic items in hold bag as it can lead to damage of the items. However, I am grateful for your wonderful suggestion that when this situation arises, we should start offering reusable fabric bag which would definitely help the passengers in these unavoidable circumstances. Hence, I have forwarded your suggestion to the relevant department for their consideration and I am sure this suggestion will be looked on with great consideration.

I acknowledge that you found our cabin crew manager helpful and approachable. I have passed on your feedback so that the concerned staff will be benefited out of it.

I assure you that we have a standard policies and procedures to be followed by all the passengers and do not have any exception for passengers board the plane first. I assure you that all our staff at the boarding gate on different airports are on the same page. However, at the boarding gate the checks are random and if our staff believe that bag could be outside the maximum allowed, they may ask the passengers to put the same in the gauge.

Once again, thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us as this always widens the scope of improving our services. I hope my e-mail some way pacify your thoughts while choosing our services in the near future.

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxx
easyJet Customer Services

And if you see these one day on easyJet, you'll know where the idea came from!
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/pprunemike/EasyBag.png

easyflyer83
21st Apr 2012, 18:49
You will also be pleased to note that they do also acknowledge and follow up complaints. I, as a CM, once had a complaint against me and it was defintely followed. On this occasion it was a pax with an axe to grind (I had told him to be quiet during the demo) and so all was ok at my end but it was dealt with which is good.

PAXboy
22nd Apr 2012, 12:08
The responses from EZY are good but - of course - do not cross the line of admitting that they do allow pax onboard with more than the allowed baggage in size and/or weight! Makes me wonder if the pax who are choosing to take above the limit cabion baggage know that it's best tobe on first? :hmm:

We all know the commercial reasons for not challenging every overloaded pax and RYR also allow this - despite their protestations to the contrary.

FlyingGoggles
22nd Apr 2012, 13:07
Good to know they're quick to respond to both complaints and compliments then :) Do airlines have systems in place for staff who get compliments sent in about them? At a previous employer of mine (big UK tourist attraction) you got shopping vouchers if you had a special form filled in about you, either by guests or colleagues.

And, like average-punter, I still remember, a good 6 months on, everything about that flight.

12th October 2011, 14.25 MAN-PFO service, think the flight number was EZY 1973.

So, if any of the crew are members here, thank you :) I've gone on to fly in small 4 seaters and make a film about GA flying, and although I'm not totally over my fears with flying, I'm getting there.

Corax
22nd Apr 2012, 14:32
Any Wardair flight.

What the Fug
22nd Apr 2012, 14:36
Ryanair many years ago, but I did go to school with the steward, my father always wondered how I managed to get that plastered Luton to Cork

Hotel Tango
22nd Apr 2012, 14:49
I'm still waiting for my BEST airline experience :E

jabird
22nd Apr 2012, 15:32
Far too many to mention - if I didn't have a love of flying I wouldn't be on pprune in the first place.

To narrow them down:

1) Saudia, 1991 - after a week delay getting a Saudi visa and then a 24 hour tech delay, we asked for the usual 5 minutes in the cockpit (3 of us bothers, youngest was 8 at time). We stayed there for the whole journey down the Nile, and my other two brothers got to sit in the jump seat to land at JED! I had to "make do" with a first class seat behind (we were all cattle SLF).

2) Anything on a twotter with Winair for obvious rollercoaster reasons!

3) Very reasonable food with Royal Brunei, and even on my most recent lh flight with AF. In fact, no complaints at all about Air France. Well - we weren't offered chicken or fish (and of us) - just chicken!

And I'd also add any other airline flying scenic approaches or take offs - although that isn't really a customer service issue, it is part of the flight experience.

Can't think I've ever had reason to lodge a major complaint - as opposed to simply accepting the cattle treatment (AA pretty bad for that).

I once strayed into the premium section on an AA flight - I think I was just looking for the nearest toilet, not a larger seat! After I'd sat down for a little while, a member of cabin crew came over and gave me a massive bollocking for straying into the "business" zone. Totally pointless, rude and aggressive - but I wouldn't have expected much better on AA to be honest.

Valarie C
22nd Apr 2012, 16:01
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum.:rolleyes:

I wished to share my experience as business class passenger with Emirates, flying via Bangkok to Dubai on the amazing A380 aircrafts, magnificent interior, cabin meals etc but we found the cabin crew to be quite snobbish.

To my pleasant surprise when I travel back to Bangkok, my husband & I have enjoyed the journey very much as the full set of crew are all very friendly & helpful.:O We enjoyed the bar service & speaking to the cabin crew members & the best part is they offered to take picture with my husband, not one but two.:ok: It is indeed a wonderful experienced to be cherished.

Wonder how the vast difference in terms of customer service within the same airline:ugh:

Sunnyjohn
22nd Apr 2012, 20:43
Iberia - LHR to VLC 2006. We were moving to Spain with our cat. We checked the regs and bought the correct cat carrier. When we got to check-in at Heathrow, an Iberia member of staff spotted us with our carrier and asked where we were going. He then took us to first class check-in and when we got on board the cabin staff assured us that we could keep our cat and her carrier on our laps, which we did for the duration of the flight. Wouldn't happen now, alas!

easyflyer83
22nd Apr 2012, 21:03
We normally get here about compliments and complaints so it should filter down. Either way I've just checked the crew list and you did have a lovely crew including the cabin manager (an Irish girl) so I'll let her know.

WHBM
22nd Apr 2012, 21:34
Any Wardair flight.
Just before I wrote the same thing I was just scanning the earlier posts and found someone had got there first. What an extraordinary airline Wardair was, which I first used in 1969, and last in 1986, all over a quarter of a century ago and with a handful of aircraft in the fleet. They were bought out in 1989. There are still many in Canada and their destination countries who recall them.

No longer ATC
28th Apr 2012, 12:14
Bcal - DXB to HKG , new years eve around 1987...nil F class pax booked,so crew discreetly went around the M cabin asking all the staff pax to move subtly up to F cabin. They just pushed the bar trolley into F,loaded us up with snacks and told us to party on! Fab flight-almost had to be carried off the acft in HKG...

Peter47
28th Apr 2012, 20:13
I was really envious when my father, a retired RAF pilot, told me that he had been invited into the cockpit for a 747 landing at SIN when on the way to an RAF reunion in Oz. (Rather different to the piston engined aircraft he landed there.) But then he was no ordinary passenger.

Then, a few years later, having been allowed into the cockpit I was invited back for the landing at JFK which is very interesting in a crosswind!

A really nice experience! Ah those were the days!

PAXboy
28th Apr 2012, 21:14
One enjoyable sector was xmas day 1988, rding back from Banjul (BJL) to LGW on (by then) BA DC-10. I had chosen the day for easy transit and the flight was only about 40%, as I recall.

It was a daylight sector leaving aroun 10:00-ish and there was a party atmosphere! We started by making a detour shortly after rotation, across the beach. The flight and cabin crews that had arrived on the a/c that morning were there to wave us off and there was a lovely port wing down! I had a port side window!

Later, I visited the flight deck and we arrived at LGW to minimal pax and sailed through. Consequently, I have often chosen to fly on xmas and New Year. :ok:

beamender99
29th Apr 2012, 22:37
I have been lucky to have so many great experiences on flights.

A Concorde trip in November, see the sun set, rise again in the West and then set again. Take off from WAS with only seven passengers on board and then at MIA land in the jump seat.

Landing over the flats at the old HKG airport when in the jump seat.

On a trip back from YYZ, being invited to the flight deck to watch the Aurora Borealis.
An amazing sight with the clouds appearing to overtake the aircraft and all around us was lights.
I returned to my window seat determined to watch as much as possible as most of the passengers slept on.With my face against the window and pillows around my head to block the cabin lights I got a gentle dig in the ribs from one of the flight crew. They were so in awe of the light show that he was coming through the cabin looking for anyone awke to invite them up front.
Sadly oh how things have changed.

Ancient Observer
30th Apr 2012, 11:50
During the First Gulf War, many Co.s told their travellers to stay at home. Especially true of USA based corporates.

I Travelled at least monthly, sometimes weekly, to Asia on BA.

Lots of empty seats.

The crew were normally attentive and helpful.

Nothing they could do about the awful, old BA business seats, though.

Mr Mac
2nd May 2012, 10:49
There are a number but a few stand out as set out below and some more general comments :-

BCAL 707 from South America in mid 70,s which I got to go to the flight deck on as a school boy when level with Dakar. Was then invited back to stay until landing in LGW if I wanted, as nobody else asked for a cockpit visit:ok:

Cathay 747 into HKG also on flight deck in mid 1980,s pilot was a freind so got bumped to 1st Class as well :ok:.

As has been commented on before, many views of large Aurora displays - never bores me:). Also big electrical storms at night in the tropic,s as long as not in them !.

Sun rises and or sunsets, latter with G&T always good:).

The cabin crews from many airlines and cultures who have largly helped keep me sane, and looked after me and chatted on those long trans oceanic / trans continental flights where the moving map appears to belie the comment that the world is getting smaller :)!.

Flight to Dallas in Mid July 1987 when it was deemed by my then employer that I had reached the point where the world of Business class travel was to be opened to me - spoilt for life as far as air travel is concerned from then on :O.

Tableview
2nd May 2012, 14:18
Flying into Innsbruck in the cockpit of a Danair 727 (or BAC 1-11?)

Flying across the Andes in the cockpit of a LH 747, BUE-SCL, right over Aconcagua on a beautiful clear morning.

flying lid
2nd May 2012, 16:55
Qantas flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok around 1998, economy class, being awoken somewhere over NE India and asked "Would you like champagne with your breakfast sir", remember seeing the Himalayas on the horizon at daybreak. Champagne doesn't seem to appear now in QF economy.

Daftest thing I have ever done was to take packed sandwiches on my first ever flight, 747 Man - Lax with good old Caledonian back in 1989. (yes, I ate em, with my G&T !!)

Was upgraded with Emirates Man - Dubai back in 1996, only 20 passengers !!. Onward flight to Hong Kong similarly empty, but not upgraded, still we all had a centre row of 4 seats each.

My son was taken into the cockpit of a 747-400 LHR-SFO in 2000, half an hour in there flying over the Canadian praries. He still talks about it. Pity this is no longer possible.

Never had any bad experiences, nearly all my flights have passed with reasonable comfort and efficiency.

Airlines are fine by me - Airports are another matter !!

Espada III
2nd May 2012, 20:56
It is such a pity that entry to the cockpit is now forbidden during flights. Everyone remembers either that or the upgrade.

dfv8
3rd May 2012, 12:02
Any Wardair flight.

Agreed with the two posts earlier.

martin102
3rd May 2012, 16:33
Yes always remember the 2 visits to the cockpit. Once on Concorde and the second on an Air Pacific 747. Had chatted to an Air Pacific pilot who was a passenger AKL- NAN. Was on the flight to LAX the next week when was invited up to the cockpit as he was flying the plane to LAX.

frequentflyer2
6th May 2012, 11:42
Living in Northern Ireland, it's rare we get the opportunity to fly on a full service airline, as opposed to the BOB model. For that reason we really enjoyed flight BA504 on April 25 from Heathrow to Lisbon. We had flown over to LHR on BMI - long time circling and very bumpy approach because of bad weather - but otherwise a very pleasant flight with a very professional crew.
We transferred over to Terminal 3, enjoyed a chat with a very friendly check-in assistant - a real credit to the airline - and then a meal. Our flight was delayed, again because of the bad weather, but once on board, the aircraft was extremely comfortable, and it was nice that no money had to change hands when it came to the drinks and sandwiches. The cabin crew were extremely pleasant and friendly.
We flew back to BFS yesterday from FAO with Aer Lingus in the spacious front row of a new A319. This was also a very pleasant flight with professional but friendly cabin crew, but of course it's a BOB business model. However, to me Aer Lingus is a good example of how BOB should operate. They are a more comfortable airline to fly with than easyJet.

Lance Murdoch
6th May 2012, 19:17
Ive been fortunate to have more than a few enjoyable commercial flights. The ones that particularly stand out are :-

SFO to LAX sometime in 1997. Taking off from SFO and climbing out over San Francisco on a gin clear April day and seeing the city and the Golden Gate laid out like a model.

DXB to BHX in April last year. After a full flight from HKG to DXB early on Easter Saturday morning and considering that Terminal 3 was like one of Dantes visions of hell some of the sweetest words Ive ever heard uttered are 'yes we do have upgrade seats available for Skywards members'. Business class only had four passengers in it whilst economy was packed. As I was at that happy point where I was about to fall asleep on my flat bed I remember feeling immense gratitude for not being in economy at that time.

crewmeal
7th May 2012, 06:07
Any Royal Jordanian flight. Despite some of the aircraft being a little old ie A310's, the cabin crew offered a superb service. Nothing was too much trouble, always a smile, prompt requests and excellent efficient ground staff at AMM.

paulc
10th May 2012, 16:27
Agree with previous posters re Wardair

Flew Gatwick - Alicante - Gatwick on the flight deck of a Laker Bac1-11 (was only 13 at the time)

SQ 747 from Sia to Osaka - quick trip to flight deck during the flight - got invited to stay for landing which was a rare treat even pre 9-11.

PAXboy
10th May 2012, 21:00
I think it was August 1987, I was on VS for LGW~NWK (before they started LHR ops). It was a Sunday afternoon.

I was in Upper Class and after a wonderful lunch, they were showing cartoons (still with the big screen, as it was just before personal screens came in). I remember looking out of the window at the sunshine and the Atlantic, then looking at myself stretched out in the window seat and, having selected a lovely mini-tub of ice-cream, watching Tom & Jerry. I thought: "I'm being paid to do this ..." :ok:

AdamFrisch
10th May 2012, 21:07
Take it from a professional long-hauler: Air New Zealand is the only shining star on the airline horizon at the moment. They beat Emirates, Virgin, Lufthansa, everyone hands down. Now, I've not tried Asiana, Qatar, Etihad or Singapore recently, so there could contenders there. They make me smile every time I fly them and that's not easy to achieve from a grumpy fart like myself.

Turkish has shaped up greatly and is now better than Emirates, and their LAX-IST leg is nicely run. Virgin has slipped badly into footballers wife/Essex territory and don't belong in the top anymore. They're just like a slightly better BA these days.

Tableview
10th May 2012, 21:15
I thought: "I'm being paid to do this ..."

Those were the days. I had several years of travelling between SA, Europe, Far East, South America, in premium classes, and being paid to stay in top hotels and eat in good restaurants .... and get pocket money for it!

WHBM
10th May 2012, 21:44
I was on a round trip only last week with Air Astana of Kazakhstan, Amsterdam to Atyrau on a 767, first time with them. You probably think it would be a ramshackle hand-down approach from old Soviet days in the "Stan's". Not at all. Although back in Y, it was substantial meals, sweets before takeoff and landing, hot towels, menu cards (when did you last get those), Twix chocolate bars with the separate bar service, and a cabin crew who just showed every step of the training and remembered accurately which of their three languages to use with each pax. On the minute both ways.

Yes, I did say in Economy !

ChicoG
15th May 2012, 12:57
It may not sound "nice" at first, but if you make it to the end you'll get the point.

A number of years ago I was on a business trip to Dallas, at a time when my Mother in Law was seriously ill. I got the dreaded call that her time was running short and got the next flight to London, via Atlanta I think.

The first flight was delayed and by the time I got to the gate it was closed. I explained the situation and told them I really didn't give much of a stuff whether the luggage got on the plane, but I had to; I didn't go into detail, just told them it was a family emergency. I guess they realised how upset I was.

Anyway, they opened the door and let me board, only for us to sit there for another 40 minutes before pushback.

It was only after take off that the cabin senior came and apologised to me for the delay, and told me that they'd held back the plane to make sure my case got on.

I can't count the number of times prior to that when I've cursed when people have swanned onto planes late, but I've never, ever done it since. (I also was hoping to god they didn't explain the reason to the passengers, or I'm sure I would have lit the cabin up glowing red!).

I did make it home in time to say goodbye to the lovely old dear, bless her, and I have never had a bad word to say about American Airlines since.

FlyingGoggles
20th May 2012, 20:15
Lovely to hear so many nice stories. VERY jealous of all you people that have been in the f/d for a landing. Alas I'll never experience that myself :( You have reminded me of another experience though.

I can't remember the airline, but it was about 1998, I was 8 years old, on my way to or from a holiday with my grandparents. It was a nighttime flight and a member of the cabin crew approached our row, and asked me if I'd like to visit the f/d. I said yes, and after making sure it was OK with my grandparents, she took me up, and introduced me to the Captain and F/O.
It's a hazy memory, but the overwhelming one was, of the plane in darkness, except for the lights and dials etc. Reminded me of a Christmas tree. A nice memory I have, back before the fear of flying kicked in.

That's actually what stood out for me on my last flight though. The fact that whenever I told someone I was scared, I got nothing but reassurance and friendly face. I'm used to people rolling their eyes, quoting the (well known to the majority of fearful flyers) statistics and generally not being very helpful. I have to admit, I expected the same on my flight.

Easyflyer83, I didn't realize you could check back that far, with it being back in October, thanks for doing that and passing it on :)

Lord Bracken
21st May 2012, 07:49
A couple of BA flights in First to/from Asia recently. Decent food and wonderful service from crews who can carry off that warm, slightly cheeky style of things without descending into VS "mate" "mate" "mate" all the time. :ok:

PAXboy
21st May 2012, 12:42
Lord Bracken In 26 years of flying with VS in all cabins, I cannot EVER recall being called 'mate'.

Evening Star
21st May 2012, 12:57
Any flight with the now sadly long gone Gill Airways. Friendly, helpful, positive experience, complete with cabin crew who always seemed to have genuine smiles rather than some plastic training smile.

I was on a round trip only last week with Air Astana of Kazakhstan, Amsterdam to Atyrau on a 767, first time with them. You probably think it would be a ramshackle hand-down approach from old Soviet days in the "Stan's". Not at all. Although back in Y, it was substantial meals, sweets before takeoff and landing, hot towels, menu cards (when did you last get those), Twix chocolate bars with the separate bar service, and a cabin crew who just showed every step of the training and remembered accurately which of their three languages to use with each pax. On the minute both ways.

Yes, I did say in Economy !

Except for the ramshackle aircraft and airports, used to be like that when I first flew with Aeroflot Don earlier in the century. Everybody may have been surly, but service was exemplary all round. Did not last the various changes of ownerships however:hmm:.

L'aviateur
21st May 2012, 13:29
It's still possible to fly on the jumpseat with some airlines outside of Europe/USA, last year I managed a couple of jumpseat flights on the A320 in Asia by showing my PPL and thoroughly enjoyed them.
As for service, I enjoy Qantas, Cathay, Asiana and Etihad (ish/mostly). Whilst I fly a mix of business and economy, the best flights are always the opups, just a real feeling of being lucky.
One of my most memorable flights was a Virgin one across to Miami in Premium Economy last year, was kind of a different experience as it felt much like a charter holiday trip, rather then the normal glum faces (mine included) deep in thought about work.

Mr Mac
30th May 2012, 13:08
I forgot somthing I did for Children in Need in the UK in the mid 1980,s which I must rate as one of my best experiances with many different crews with BMI. Myself and my then girlfreind got sponsered by BMI to fly around on their routes with me dressed as a Bear collecting money from passengers and at their variouse terminals (excepet Birmingham who would not give permit). Started on the Sunday from LBA to LHR and did 3 flights a day on average to a number of UK and European destinations. Crews were brilliant on all sectors and had only been told that they "may have a bear on board during the week" on their flights, and the first they were aware was when we stepped on board. Flew Birmingham to Brussels ret on DC9 with a crew who we brought back durty free for, and who,s copilots wife was going to have a baby that night !. Got to fly in the cockpit during landing in Birmingham dressed as a Bear which caused a surprise to the rampy !. A good week, and we raised a good sum for Children in Need. Do not know if any BMI crew remember this ?. I think I have some photos some where of Bears picking up cabin crew which I will post if and when found. :ok::ok::ok::ok:

Phileas Fogg
30th May 2012, 14:02
Swiss International ...

Who cares about looking out of windows, visiting flight decks, doing rubber necking things ... Just sit back and enjoy a professional yet friendly cabin service with all the trimmings.

Businesstraveller
30th May 2012, 16:19
Thai Airways - Bangkok to Frankfurt - F Class

You'd expect good food, good drinks, comfy bed, jim-jams, slippers, decent toiletries etc - and indeed these were all delivered. Wasn't expecting to be tucked into bed however. Definately didn't expect to be invited to give the stewardess a call if I was in Bangkok again.

Cymmon
30th May 2012, 18:29
Qatar airways for me.
Sensational service (Yes - Daily mail headline!:yuk:) but true.
Help and advice, chat , food, drink, excellent safety culture.
Flown 10 times now with them, always fantastic service even on overnights. Welcome to chat the crew.

Bmi, MAN-London cockpit jumpseat from pushback til arrival. Just because I booked a last minute return.

Also loganair Islander Westray to Papa Westray, with a stuffed penguin on the windscreen for photo opportunity.

redsnail
30th May 2012, 20:16
I had a great experience today.
easyJet from Lyon to Gatwick. Flight had been delayed by 3 hours (because of the runway works + fog) but the Cabin manager knew a former classmate (ATPL) and they did a great job in telling the pax why the flight was late, no lies or fob offs. :)

Gulfstreamaviator
31st May 2012, 06:26
Qatar airways, offer a great service from London to most of the eastern world..... via Doha.
I am based in Dubai, and regret to say both the airline that can not be mentioned, and that one that can, do not match QATAR service.
I travel to from London, as well as many Mid and far east destinations, and use Qater if on the route, even with the hour or so in Doha...great lounges.
Only complaint the T4 at LHR does not have third party lounges, the new Qater lounge is fantastic...but no third party lounge.......

Gulfstreamaviator
31st May 2012, 06:27
Only problem, that should be the normal level, not an exception.......

glf

PAXboy
31st May 2012, 22:59
Phileas FoggWho cares about looking out of windows ...
I do! It's 75% of the flight for me. If I'm trapped even one seat away from the window for a 1hr hop - that is automatically a poor quality flight.

Mr Mac
1st Jun 2012, 07:24
Pax Boy
Could not agree more, always like to have window seat:ok:. When you can not marvel at the view of this planet, and the sun rise / set, or the changing weather patterns that you can see from that height then I beleive somthing is missing :sad:. Just my thoughts, other,s I know have a different view, no pun intended !.

Tableview
1st Jun 2012, 09:40
Me too, I am most uncomfortable if I can't have a window seat. I like looking out, but most of all it means I'm not knocked by people moving up and down the aisle, I don't have anyone climbing over me, I don't have to get in and out, and I can lean against the bulkhead.

FlyingGoggles
1st Jun 2012, 16:34
Have to have a window seat. If I can see outside, I don't feel as closed in and I'm actually not as nervous during the flight. Plus I have something to lean on if I want to try and sleep.

Nice to see people still adding to this thread, by the way! :)

essouira
3rd Jun 2012, 07:34
The excellent cabin crew team in WT+ on yesterday's BA flight from Beijing made this ten-hour flight a lot more pleasant than usual. Well done.

Espada III
3rd Jun 2012, 11:24
Had a good trip back from TLV-MAN on Jet2 last Monday evening. The flight took off on time (a rarity), landed on time (even more of a rarity) and there was enough space for all of us to share a spare middle seat.

So I had my preferred window seat with a reasonable view (partly obscured by cloud) of flying over the Greek Islands. Most enjoyable.

rgsaero
4th Jun 2012, 20:35
What a temptation is this thread title? And I’ve fallen for it – so here goes.

I preface the following by saying that I’m not “points scoring” here, just telling it how it was. And as I’m quite old and started this travelling thing early in life there’s a lot from which I can choose!

The best experience was London to Singapore – in 1951; departure late July by BOAC Constellation. The journey was via Rome –everyone out and into a bus with picnic and a tour of St Peter’s Square, then onto Cairo, for a nightstop in the Heliopolis Palace Hotel. Next morning another bus and en route to the airport a tour of the Sphinx and pyramids before the sector to Bahrain – the most unpleasant stop as it was for refuel and the only available accommodation for two hours was a tin Nissen hut. Then on to Karachi for the night in the Speedbird hotel, BOAC’s own guesthouse and the last two legs via a refuel in Calcutta to Singapore. You really knew you had travelled, and a lot quicker than six weeks on a liner!

The return on an Argonaut was less comfortable; a Canadian version of the DC6 with Merlins instead of “round” engines it was probably the noisiest airliner of the age!

Other “best experiences”? Two free flights to US on Concorde - courtesy of our travel agent who was BA’s “ticket consolidator”, and with whom I spent a lot of money.

But latterly, Air New Zealand gets the vote. Used them to NZ perhaps twenty times since 1983 and eight times in the last six years. Always on time, good, happy service and very good value.

I wonder who will win my award in 2022!