PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express..........

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2012, 11:58
I have been battling with OE in regard to sending mail that has to go through the speller. Unfortunately this only interprets FRENCH when you upgrade to IE 9. I have googled questions and it seems that most people accept it and use a little prog called tinyspell. Its OK but it will not spell check mail. How can that be altered?

Why have MS adopted a French speller that is iffy anyway and what can, or will they do about it?

I'd rather ask than search because, no doubt, there will be those on here in the know. Who knows, we might get hindi next!

Thanks

PPP

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2012, 13:44
Outlook Express does not have its own spellchecker - it uses the one from MS Office (but only if Office is installed). Version of OE installed makes no difference - the bad setting is in Word, not OE

However I'm confused - IE was replaced wit Microsoft Mail in Win7, while Vista comes without its own mail client, though Windows Live Mail is available as a download (and is preinstalled by some PC makers)
But IE9 won't install on Windows XP - which means you can't have Outlook Express and IE9 on the same machine.
Do you want to look again at exactly what combination of software you are using?

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2012, 21:24
Thanks for that and you are right. I have IE8 but the common problem is still the same. OE has a FRENCH spellchecker. I also have MS Office 2010.

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2012, 21:34
There's no resolution - MS introduced the problem when Office 2007 came out, and the spell-checker in OE ceased to work.

You'll have to get a 3rd party plug-in / add-on to spell check OE.

MS are just great at ignoring problems.

SD

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2012, 21:51
Aren't they just. Thanks SD. Any suggestion for said add on? TinySpell just about works but as far as I can tell it just confirms it has 'seen' a word - but not if it is correct or not.

PPP

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Apr 2012, 22:00
MS are just great at ignoring problems
AIUI they chose to stop supporting OE.

You could always ask for your money back.

Always the risk with free software - sometimes you get what you pay for.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2012, 22:02
"they chose to stop supporting OE"

True - they want people to use Live Mail instead - two reasons
To get away from POP mail, and also because it plugs into the MS cloud services well

In the meantime, there are many recommendations on the web for this

https://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,25211-order,4-c,wordprocessing/reviews.html

Never used it myself

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2012, 22:19
AIUI they chose to stop supporting OE.

To my mind there's a difference between stopping support for a product and deliberately breaking it.

SD

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2012, 22:37
Thanks MM, that is it! Works as though nothing happened.

PPP

BEagle
21st Apr 2012, 07:51
I had the same issue when my Dell Vostro arrived with Office 2007. However, following recommendations (after getting completely hacked-off with the rubbish known as Windows Live Mail), I contacted this chap in Oz:

Outlook Express Email, Fix Outlook Express 6 spelling, Microsoft Outlook Express emails/mail, Spell check for Outlook Express (spellchecker, OE, spell outlook express, outlook express spell check, outlook express vista, outlook express 2007, outlook (http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oespellcheck/)

A quick overnight PayPal for Au$ £10, then first thing the next day I followed the links and voila, English spellcheck returned!

As I wrote back to Kelvin:

"Hi Kelvin, Excellent - thank you so much. The program does just what it says on the tin! Great to have OE6 back again instead of the bug-ridden Windows Live Mail! I'll pass on details of how to solve the Office 2007 / OE6 spell check bug to other folks. Once again, thank you for doing what Bill Gates can't be bothered to do! Best wishes - From Great Britain"