PDA

View Full Version : Entry Jobs - Situation?

Desert Strip Basher
20th Apr 2012, 11:34
Been looking on AFAP and doesn't look much movement at present though a couple of scenic jobs up north. What's the general situation for instructing, scenics, para dropping and glider towing etc? I met up with a few para clubs last year on the east coast and there seemed a reasonable chance of some flying for a relatively inexperienced CPL - is this still likely?

kalavo
20th Apr 2012, 13:25
A few years ago now, there was an advert for the NT ending with "You'll never never know, if you never never go".

5-10 years ago the only jobs on AFAP that would be advertised had a minimum requirement of 2000 hours or more. That didn't mean there weren't jobs for people with 200 hours, they just weren't advertised. Things haven't changed - there's plenty of jobs for people with 200 hours, the ones that are advertised are only because there's less people dropping off resumes.

If you want a flying job: print off 30 copies of your resume, pack up the car, and go for a drive and start knocking on doors and introducing yourself. Be very very suprised if you can't find something before handing out all of your resumes to potential employers.

If you email them off from down south, you'll be lucky to get a reply.

Anthill
20th Apr 2012, 13:48
DSB- you wont get paid for towing gliders in Australia. The system doesn't work that way.

NIK320
21st Apr 2012, 08:15
Operators up north seem to be interested in pilots, I wouldn't go as far to say they are desperate.

I know several people that have gone north in the last 6 months and all bar 1 is currently flying commercially. I even know of 2 people that scored first jobs in the big smoke doing charters in the last few months.

The jobs are out there if your willing to go find them.