PDA

View Full Version : Bert Weedon R.I.P.

IB4138
20th Apr 2012, 10:40
The death of Bert Weedon at the age of 91, at his home in Beaconsfield, has been announced this morning.

RIP Bert.

Here's the biography from his website:

The Official Bert Weedon Website - Biography (http://www.bertweedon.com/biog.htm)

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2012, 10:46
The man responsible for more blistered fingers than anyone else.
Mine have hardened nicely now, but it took more than a day.
RIP Bert.

beaufort1
20th Apr 2012, 11:10
I've got some of his 45's, passed onto me by my late father. The man certainly had enormous talent. :)

tony draper
20th Apr 2012, 11:15
RIP Bert,I understand he was still doing gigs until recently,he got in on the ground floor,not many electric guitarists about in the early days playing his sort of music mostly Jazz guitarists then.
:cool:

Storminnorm
20th Apr 2012, 11:18
Great bloke. But I must say that I was surprised that he was stiii around.
I thought he'd popped his clogs years ago.

RIP Bert.

ericlday
20th Apr 2012, 11:21
He is now teaching 'How to Play the Harp'
Good Bloke.
R.I.P Bert

MagnusP
20th Apr 2012, 11:26
I confess to just taking a coffee break and nipping out to play "Guitar Boogie" on the jukebox in a local pub. The man was hugely influential.

Lon More
20th Apr 2012, 11:41
The man has a lot to answer for; RIP Bert

bert weedon - guitar boogie shuffle - YouTube

Tankertrashnav
20th Apr 2012, 12:44
He is now teaching 'How to Play the Harp'

Snap ericlday !

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471719-great-guitarists-our-time-there-quite-few-10.html

see post 183 ;)

OFSO
20th Apr 2012, 15:35
I remember talking to one of Acker Bilk's Jazz Band (was it drummer Ron Mackay ?)when they played at De Montfort Hall, when Bert Weedon was on tour with them. He told me they used to get Bert p*ssed on scrumpey every night on the bus and he was frequently "unwell" as a result.

MagnusP
20th Apr 2012, 15:38
He even got a hat-tip (as Blert Wheedown) in Terry Pratchett's "Soul Music".

JWP1938
21st Apr 2012, 14:47
I had the pleasure of working with him in the very early 60s on the Light Programme's Easy Beat. Lunch time on Sundays. It was recorded on Thursdays (if I remember correctly) with a live audience in the old Playhouse (or was it Player's?) Theatre, now a shopping mall, near Charing Cross Station. The bands/groups all sat on the large stage at the same time and the featured singers came on from the wings when announced by Brian Matthew. Bert's group was called the Easybeats and featured an absolutely excellent guitarrist called Judd Proctor. (Google Czardas (sp?) played by him). Bert was a real gentleman and, whilst not considered an inspiring musician (in that he just played great middle-of-road music with no real tricks or eccentricities other than echo/reverb), he was well respected amongst all us pros. I believe he made more money from his publishing than his appearances. Bert will be sadly missed by all who knew, listened to or learned from him. On a side note, he had an absolutely gorgeous niece called Hilary Weedon who was a model and had a relationship with our singer. She was a lovely girl, liked by everybody but tragically died of cancer aged 30 during the 60s or maybe early 70s. Sorry to hijack this thread as a nostalgia trip for myself.

Mr Optimistic
21st Apr 2012, 18:37
Made his final waxing, as they really did used to say.