PDA

View Full Version : "Flagship"

Dropp the Pilot
19th Apr 2012, 11:30
To be filed under 'things which provoke suppressed giggles', I see that one of Emirates New York services is done with the "flagship" A380.

You may google her proud sister flagships such The Vasa and the The Mary Rose.

Rim-job
19th Apr 2012, 14:43
Can someone enlighten me as to what this bloke above is referring to?

Either I'm getting old or this guy is speaking another language.....

clear to land
19th Apr 2012, 14:52
you need to know your maritime blunders history :)

dv8
19th Apr 2012, 17:18
Yes but the do covert in to nice museums
;)Sorry cant help it

journeyman
21st Apr 2012, 20:34
Hey Dropp,

LHR 27L - B777. Remember? And before you bring up Qantas, I don't think that 777 will be flying any time soon...

tbaylx
21st Apr 2012, 21:04
nor will the "Flagships" if they keep finding cracks in the wings after a year in service :}

journeyman
22nd Apr 2012, 05:18
A year in service? Don't think so.

Do yourself a favour and check out the dispatch reliability stats between the 380 and 747 in the first 12 months of service - you might be surprised to note the 380 is about 4% higher.

Also, don't want to get into the whole hull-loss statistic thing, partly because the law of averages hasn't kicked in yet with the 380 and it is inevitable (and morbid to contemplate) that there will be a serious incident down the line.
And partly because I'm realistic enough to realise that, in spite of a few airframes written off, the 777 is a great airplane.

Just don't hate us because we're poaching all the plum routes, and the fact that we have an FMS and you have an abacus:)

LearBus
22nd Apr 2012, 05:45
Do yourself a favour and check out the dispatch reliability stats between the 380 and 747 in the first 12 months of service - you might be surprised to note the 380 is about 4% higher.

A380 entry into service - 2007

B747 entry into service - 1970

Just saying'...:ok:

vfenext
22nd Apr 2012, 07:37
Children like journeyman are the reason this site has little to offer by way of professional discussion. Boeing or Airbus, who gives a ****!

three eighty
22nd Apr 2012, 08:37
Hey Dropp
Two words
Grow Up

falconeasydriver
22nd Apr 2012, 09:05
So so so sad and pathetic.......:E

Just don't hate us because we're poaching all the plum routes, and the fact that we have an FMS and you have an abacus

Yep, we all HATE you fellas who get to do LHR all the time, its a place I think about.
As for an FMS? Its a piece of over complicated C R A P, in fact its a dumbed down version of the one I flew in a small french jet a few years back, and even the smart version is rubbish.
Give me the windows 95 Boeing version any day of the week ending in the letter "y".
Now about how the thing looks...:}

journeyman
22nd Apr 2012, 13:42
Touchy, touchy boys - I did put a smiley at the end of the post. Don't take it so seriously - I'm sure Dropp just wanted a little light-hearted fun.

Agreed, the FMS is complicated - but most of us manage. Guess that's why we fly Airbusses and you don't:)

P.S. How do you guys read the sundials at night?

etops777
22nd Apr 2012, 16:11
Ex airbus380 driver

What so advanced about the 380? Mine is bigger or mine is better than yours? No wonder the pilots group in EK does not get any respect from the managements! :D

falconeasydriver
22nd Apr 2012, 18:44
It is fun to tell a supie, that all pilots join on the airbus fleet initially, and only the good ones stay and the weak ones go to the 777 because they can't cut it on the more advanced airbuses.

mate, I could tell you, but you wouldn't understand. It is all a bit too complicated for you. Lol

Ahh yes, the Stephen Hawking inspired "electric retard defence" usually followed up with a shrug of the shoulders, a puff on a Gauloises and a re mark along the lines of "crack? you zay crack? but dis iz not possible, dis iz an aerbooos, not some amburger eating iron anvil! I do not belieeeve you! You tell more lie zan an english wing maker!" :8:E

etops777
23rd Apr 2012, 00:18
Ex380

You are a prime example of the one that possess a SJS.

nolimitholdem
23rd Apr 2012, 08:42
A380-whatever, you are the textbook definition of someone who in psychology would be referred to as "compensating". A good shrink may be able to help you with your self-image, if not your actual physical shortcoming. Best of luck with that.

Who gives a **** about that ugly broken thing anyway? The more important issue is, which place in Dubai has taken up the slack caused by the loss of Rattlesnakes? First Cyclones, now this?!

harry the cod
23rd Apr 2012, 11:33
Mod

I'm surprised you haven't closed this one down yet. This really is going nowhere. :bored:

Harry

Voodoo 3
23rd Apr 2012, 14:00
Don't everyone get wound up by Ex388. If he chooses to brag about the aircraft he used to fly then let him. Maybe that's all he has to do all day. The thing to remember is that if you are flying the thing it means that you're not in the only better place than the flight deck - In the bar with a glass of fizz and some EK lovelies!:ok:

givemewings
23rd Apr 2012, 14:41
if you are flying the thing it means that you're not in the only better place than the flight deck - In the bar with a glass of fizz and some EK lovelies

What do you think they're doing when travelling for holidays?? :E ;)

Most fun pax are those with the good stories when you get a few drinks in them. Oh yes not to mention watching the (sometimes awful) pick-up attempts from some guy aiming way above his league.... good way to pass the time, much better than carrying trays :ok:

On the original topic, why shouldn't they call it a flagship? You'll find cruise companies and the like do the same with any new type/latest gen product they get, until the next one comes along. I bet ANA and QR are thinking the same with the 787... so not entirely wanky, it's just an advertising thing for the punters. Of course they want to know they're getting the newest thing, just like "the new ipad"...

145qrh
23rd Apr 2012, 16:00
A NEW iPad - when, where, how much- never mind the price I WANT ONE..:ugh:

journeyman
23rd Apr 2012, 22:06
Harry,

You want the thread closed down because it's going nowhere? It hasn't been going anywhere since Dropp tried to draw a comparison between the 380 and a Tudor warship - which was the, um, first post...

Funnier though, is that one poster actually lamented the lack of professional debate on this site, based on this thread. Clearly somebody whose intellect is firmly lodged in the same orifice as his sense of humour. And it's not his cranium, hoss.