PDA

View Full Version : TVCatchup.

Pelikal
18th Apr 2012, 19:19
Greetings, just wondered if anyone has experience of using this site for viewing the Freeview TV channels on-line? My digi-box packed up a while back and today was final switchover day. The terms and conditions of the site are a bit awesome, I'm curious as to their security before I set up an account. Apologies for naming - no links posted. Thanks in advance.

Milo Minderbinder
18th Apr 2012, 20:23
Just tried using it and I can't get a download with either Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Even if I disable No-Script in Firefox, I just get a black screen, while in IE I get a message from the site telling me that something is blocking their adverts. I had popups allowed, the only thing that could have been blocking it was either Avast AV software, or the BrowserProtect.org antihijack software
So I'm inclined to think theres something not quite right going on, even though no warning came from the AV software

AS to security - I logged in using a fake name and a throwaway e-mail address. No checks at all. If you do use it, I suggest you do the same

green granite
18th Apr 2012, 21:22
This was around a couple of years ago and had to stop because of sorting out copyright things, It worked well then and it works well now.

Just logged in using FireFox allowed a couple of things on NoScript and disabled add blocker and it works fine here.

Avast and Zone alarm and super anti-Spy ware.

Edied to add: the bit about blocked advert Milo, they run a short add before you watch the program, if they can't run it you don't see the programme.

Milo Minderbinder
18th Apr 2012, 21:44
OK, you're right about Firefox
Had to disable Adblock plus and No-script
A LOT of links being blocked by No-script - needs experiment to see what can be left blocked
Can't work out what blocking IE though

TVC_H4U
19th Apr 2012, 10:17
Hello,

TVCatchup Staff Member Here.

All that is required is a Username, Email and Password to use the service. TVCatchup is yet to send out a single newsletter. The service is free and proven legal recently in the UK Courts.

To clarify, if you have "Adblock Plus" or other adblocking solutions then TVCatchup will not work as it has one "Pre-Roll" advert that is sometimes blocked such as adverts from Milky Bar and Car Companies.

If you have any problems on that front our support staff are their to help at [email protected] - its just "adding an exception" to the software.

The website grows by user recommendations as we are yet to do any significant advertising campaign, so love this post despite some skeptisim as we'd love more Pilots on the website. I dont have wings myself but my boss has some stories.

It can unfortunately ONLY be used from within the uk though. We'd prefer not but have to stay within the law. :ugh:

If you check T&C we are a UK company so have to comply as much as any other. To ensure we protect data and do nothing negative to our members (who we rely on to grow the site). Its not a fly by night website we fight for our right to exist.
(http://www.hamlins.co.uk/site/firmnews/Catchup_With_Broadcasting_in_the_Internet_Age)

Pelikal
19th Apr 2012, 10:48
Ok, thanks for replies. Perhaps I'll give it ago, I'm just a touch paranoid with such matters. MM, not sure what you mean by a throwaway email address!

Milo Minderbinder
19th Apr 2012, 14:58
Pelikal

they want you to register so they can e-mail you with spam.
You don't want that spam
So, go to AOL or Hotmail and grab yourself a new free e-mail account under a random name not related to yoruself. Don't bother to put your correct address etc in, any old gibberish will do.
Then when you register with TVCatchup use that new e-mail address, so all their cr*p mail ends up there, not in your real e-mail account.
You can then either abandon the e-mail account, or reuse it later for other junk registrations