PDA

View Full Version : Converting South African License

88AV
18th Apr 2012, 08:27
Can someone help me with the following:
I'm coming through to Oshkosh this year and wanted to find out if I can validate my South African Commercial Pilots license to a FAA Commercial Pilots License, then do a refresher course on the Beechcraft 1900D with Flight Safety and at the same time do my test for my FAA ATP? Can this be done? Validate my commercial and automatically to my test for FAA ATP?

MungoP
18th Apr 2012, 12:13
You can't 'convert' the license in the sense that you simply present the SA Commercial and they'll issue you an FAA equivalent... you'll need to sit the ground exams to qualify followed by a flight test. The ground exams are a complete joke compared to the JAA license which the SA system is largely based on so very little studying will get you through those... you can combine the flight test with your training at FSI.. your check-ride on the 1900 can also be your sign-off for the commercial... or provided that you have the necessary hours an ATPL...
I suggest that you start applying at FSI as soon as possible in order to get the TSA approval.

MarkerInbound
18th Apr 2012, 14:39
Holding the SA commercial allows you to skip the FAA private and commercial. You can complete the "knowledge" test (written) for the ATP and then do the check ride for the ATP.

88AV
19th Apr 2012, 06:50
Thanks MarkerInbound, that helps alot!

Demented
20th Apr 2012, 08:50
On the same subject, is it legal to do the training and test on a tourist visa? Is TSA clearance required if you are not doing training, only a flight test?

pcx
29th Apr 2012, 00:33
88 I will be really interested to find out if you can just do a refresher course with FlightSafety for the B1900 then do the test for the issue of the type rating and the FAA ATP.
In the past they have told me that I have to do the complete initial course to do the a type rating and add it to my FAA ATP even though I have it on my Aussie ATP and have over 1000 hours command on it.
The FAA have said however that only a flight test is required if I want to do the rating ride in the actual aircraft.
Any other information on this would be welcome.

MarkerInbound
29th Apr 2012, 10:27
PCX,

Yes, all you need is to is complete the written and pass the oral and checkride. However for the oral exam and and checkride you need an instructor's sign off. Very few instructors will sign your paperwork without spending any time with you.

MungoP
29th Apr 2012, 12:02
FSIs attitude is that they're in business to do training not checking. In other words you can't just turn up and ask for a check-ride. As for the full initial being required, I'd like to know who quoted you that.
FSI have an 'upgrade' program for SICs converting to PIC. 4 days (as opposed to 3 for a 'recurrent' ) plus the check-ride.

pcx
30th Apr 2012, 03:09
Thanks Marker and Mungo.
Marker, are you saying that I need a written and an Instructor signoff for the type rating checkride. I already have an FAA ATP MEL with a type rating on it. I understood from the FAA guy I spoke to that all I needed was to do the checkride, provided I have the type on my Aussie ATP and that I do the ride in the aircraft.
Sorry, rereading my initial post I can see that I could have worded it better to make my situation clearer.
Mungo, it was Flightsafety that said I had to do the full type rating course with them if I wanted to do the type rating in their simulator.

MarkerInbound
30th Apr 2012, 10:49
Sorry, I didn't read your first post. Since you already hold an ATP no written is required. Training centers that use sims for types operate under Part 142 of the regs and have to do a training program that is on their approved syllabus. Most of them as Mungo says have a "short course" for people with time on the aircraft. I work part time for a 142 school and we normally put someone like you through through our "Upgrade" class. Off the top of my head I can't recall, 4 days of class and 3 sims or 3 days and 4 sims. Obviously you don't need a complete Initial class.

Doing the check ride in the plane falls under Part 91. It used to be, prior to 2000, you could just show up with a completed app minus the sign off and go fly. The idea was, you're an ATP, you know if you're ready or not. Sometime in the late 90s the FAA added the requirement for an instructor's sign off for a type and as I said I don't think any CFIs will put their name on the the app without flying with you some.

All the FAA guidance is found in a document called FSIMS available on line. Click the "contents" "airman certification" and Chapter 2 "Part 61 certification" and section 19, "conduct a type rating certification." Sorry, it won't copy for some reason.

pcx
4th May 2012, 06:41
Thanks Marker.
Easy to read document that I was not aware of.
Good clear explanation.

Golf_Seirra
11th May 2012, 11:01
Here's an interesting one....

Seems you can convert a SACAA Comm with FAA ATP to a SACAA ATP with passes in SACAA ATP theory - Flight Planning and Met....just two exams....

So the next interesting question is ;

Anyone know of someone who holds dual examiner status for the above......what is the chance of doing both ATP tests at the same time ? Would need to be done in the US with the assocaited TSA clearances....free tickets anyone ?

Why....two birds with one stone....if that logic still applies in aviation...:sad: taking cover now.