PDA

View Full Version : Saudi 50k pass

jabird
17th Apr 2012, 06:47
When my dad worked in Saudi Arabia in the early 90s, it was mandatory to get a pass signed off - I think from the local police commissioner - for any travel more than 50k away from the compound.

Can anyone based out there confirm whether such restrictions still exist?

Solar
17th Apr 2012, 07:25
I think that would depend on the compound.
I worked there in the late 80's early 90's and can't remember having to get anything like a pass signed.

jabird
17th Apr 2012, 07:29
He was based on the King Faisal Military City in the Asir region. I assumed it was a national thing, not local or sector specific. He was medical, not military.

bugg smasher
17th Apr 2012, 07:35
Go to the Middle east forum, PM Mutt, he is still in Jeddah, as far as I know, he has all the current gen.

In my experience of the Magic Kingdom, the rules are one thing, the practice quite another.

jabird
17th Apr 2012, 08:02
In my experience of the Magic Kingdom, the rules are one thing, the practice quite another.

Very true, but roadblocks were common even if those with the unfortunate tasks of manning them in the heat weren't usually too bothered, it was at least usually given a cursory glance.

Dan Gerous
17th Apr 2012, 14:47
I worked at Khamis early 90's and if we wanted to go anywhere outside the local area we had to get a pass. The 50Kms rings a bell. Myself and another guy once went out to see how far we could go without coming across a checkpoint, and got all the way to Bisha. Unfortunately we ran into a road block on the same road on the way back, but managed to bluff our way through by flashing our Iqama's and base passes and claimed we were at Bisha to do a job. Certainly if we wanted to go to Najran or down the Red Sea we had to get passes, even for work related stuff. I don't know if this a rule only in the Asir region, as we never had to bother with any of that stuff while travelling between Hofuf and Dharan, or on a trip from Hofuf to Riyadh

ArthurR
17th Apr 2012, 14:52
Never had any problems in the early 80's, travelled often to the coast from Dharan, and later from Tabuk, even going into Jordan (Aquaba)

Lightning Mate
17th Apr 2012, 18:25
When my dad worked in Saudi Arabia in the early 90s, it was mandatory to get a
pass signed off - I think from the local police commissioner - for any travel
more than 50k away from the compound.

Can anyone based out there confirm
whether such restrictions still exist?

Yes - I can confirm that such restrictions were in force in the late 80s and early 90s. Whether they are now I do not know, but I suspect they are.

Not only that, if we wanted to travel in excess of that distance then an application needed to be submitted three months in advance.

It's a wonderful free democratic country!

sirwa69
17th Apr 2012, 18:29
A standard visit visa can now be used to travel almost anywhere except Mecca if your a non muslim. I would prefer not to go at all but my boss insists :sad:

mutt
17th Apr 2012, 18:41
Rules changed years ago, no longer required, and it was 25 Kms.

Mutt

sitigeltfel
17th Apr 2012, 18:59
Do Saudis in the UK need permission to travel further than 50km from Harrods?

rmcb
17th Apr 2012, 22:53
Why would they bother? House of Fraser and Harvey Nicks are less than 50 metres, let alone 50 kilometers away; they own Marble Arch area as home.