PDA

View Full Version : WAGES for a Career Pilot

MEMORESTO
17th Apr 2012, 05:17
What is considered a good wage for the pilot of a Bell 429; based upon a short term contract of 1 year to merge into a long term contract of years for the right person? The contract would conceivably renew 5 times.

Operations would be west coast Canada with some south and east runs. This would be private executive use that involves some camera surveillance work time to time. IFR would be required. Training would be paid by the company. When not flying the job would be PR for the company; good perks; lots of toys. The work would be Monday to Friday with the odd weekend as well. Eventually, within a year, a second and third 429 would be added in which case promotion to chief pilot would carry additional responsibilities and of coursse more money.

MEMORESTO
19th Apr 2012, 09:07
A few days back I placed a post to find out what you guys would expect in the corporate world in the way of salary; no response. I have personal reasons for asking. With increasing business responsibilities and our latest project coming on line the company will have to hire a number of pilots. We were hoping for feedback re expectations. Perhaps few really understand the corporate world and what it has to offer.

Here it is in black and white.

Our corporate pilot will fly a new Bell 429 (so far this is our bird of choice albeit we are also considering the MD Explorer and the EC 135 Hermes) that has all the bells and whistles, including full on board networked surveillance capability. The flying will involve taking executives and clients from our private hangar to and from our development site as well as other sites as required.

While flying the pilot’s primary responsibility is the safety and security for company personnel and our clients. To that end the pilot will ensure the aircraft is always in maintained in “new” condition; no exceptions whatsoever. At all times the pilot will ensure the aircraft is secure.

Time to time the pilot will take company personnel up for surveillance work.

The responsibility of our first helicopter pilot will increase and evolve as we acquire additional helicopters. Accordingly our first pilot would then become our chief pilot.

The secondary function of our first pilot is that of a meeting interpreter for the senior executive. The role involves the management of information, including reporting and summarizing, and monitoring participants’ information and needs at any discussion the pilot is privy to while flying but also including meetings the pilot attends at our offices, construction site or anywhere the pilot is involved. The findings of the pilot/interpreter have important implications to the company. This role is a sophisticated position that involves learning to play corporate poker in a real sense. As such we will train the pilot for this function and provide all the necessary tools to support this function.

This secondary function is why a criminal check, non-disclosure and non-circumvention agreement and security clearance are all required.

The bottom line is that a corporate pilot needs two skill sets. The first is to fly and to ensure that the aircraft is well maintained. The second is to act for the company. This combination of functions puts the pilot into the executive level of the company. This level means good salary, excellent working conditions, and access to company perks. It also means secure long term employment.

Many pilots are not able to fill the role because they can’t pass compliance protocol. Others do not have the people skills or discretion to deal with some of the clients we are forced to deal with to get our job done (politicians, C.A.V.E. people, extremists, and the like).

Finally the reason most pilots do not hear about these positions is because of everything written above. The NCND alone forbids any discussion.

Nonetheless we are interested in feedback.

blackhand
19th Apr 2012, 12:15
350K + phone+ car + accomodation+ personal insurance

Tourist
19th Apr 2012, 12:22
" monitoring participants’ information and needs at any discussion the pilot is privy to while flying"

One simple question.
Are you mental?

SilsoeSid
19th Apr 2012, 15:28
350K + phone+ car + accomodation+ personal insurance

...and a dikshunary ;)

griffothefog
19th Apr 2012, 16:16
If you want spooks, get the guvermint to pay....:ooh:

GoodGrief
19th Apr 2012, 17:32
You don't have that much money...

helimutt
20th Apr 2012, 06:13
I'll come and do it for $250k/yr + health + dental + final salary pension + flights back home 4 times a year, good leave required and free flights for my family.
Oh, i'd need a full expense account, company credit card, executive level car, phone, accomodation suitable for an executive, and a guaranteed 5yr minimum contract with pay reviews every 6 months.
For that i'll come fly you wherever you want to go and keep my mouth shut.
:)

ps, Im available for interveiw next month. When would you like me to start?

Fareastdriver
20th Apr 2012, 08:25
WAGES for a Career Pilot

In my day we were paid a salary. Wages are for people who dig holes in the road.

Alloa Akbar
20th Apr 2012, 11:04
Wages are for people who dig holes in the road

What a charming chap. :ugh:

griffothefog
20th Apr 2012, 11:07
Wages used to be an envelope every friday..

blackhand
20th Apr 2012, 11:33
...and a dikshunary http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifWTF, a speeling nasti

..... that end the pilot will ensure the aircraft is always in maintained in “new” condition;
Yeah sure, not the owners responsuboloty atalll

ShyTorque
20th Apr 2012, 12:13
If a helicopter is needed to be kept in "as new" condition, it won't be doing much productive flying.

Problem with the original question is that it's a regional one. Bearing in mind this forum is based on the eastern side of the Atlantic, answers about what's a reasonable salary this side of the pond would be largely irrelevant, so a lot of respondents won't give serious answers.

Squeaks
20th Apr 2012, 16:40
Bearing in mind this forum is based on the eastern side of the Atlantic

Really? Where does that assertion come from, Shy :hmm:

You may have noticed that IB are based in California, on the eastern side of the Pacific :p

tottigol
20th Apr 2012, 21:16
"The secondary function of our first pilot is that of a meeting interpreter for the senior executive. The role involves the management of information, including reporting and summarizing, and monitoring participants’ information and needs at any discussion the pilot is privy to while flying but also including meetings the pilot attends at our offices, construction site or anywhere the pilot is involved. The findings of the pilot/interpreter have important implications to the company. This role is a sophisticated position that involves learning to play corporate poker in a real sense. As such we will train the pilot for this function and provide all the necessary tools to support this function."

Given the amount of lines used to describe the two functions, it seems like your employers are more in need of a snoop who can fly a helicopter on the side.:E

Someone posted 350Ks plus fringe benefits, I'd say it's in the ballpark.

If you pick the 429 make sure your customers/passengers have recently followed a strict weight loss diet.

ShyTorque
20th Apr 2012, 21:26
Really? Where does that assertion come from, Shy

It's not an assertion but knowledge of the origin of the forum when it first came into being. Actually before it was re-born as a forum. Danny Fyne started all this in about May 1995 and some of us paid a subscription to help out with site expansion. Danny used to email us the day's discussions in those days. He was flying turboprops in those days, from Liverpool, if my memory is correct.

I accept the site owners now are elsewhere since it was bought out.

P.S. get some time in.

HowlingMad Murdock
20th Apr 2012, 21:56
Sounds like a pitch for a 'Spooks'/'Magnum' crossover show - awesome!:)

Flounder
21st Apr 2012, 21:16
How does the pilot ensure the aircraft is at all times secure if he's attending meetings and making notes at construction sites?

Epiphany
21st Apr 2012, 21:33
If I told you that I would then have to kill you.

MEMORESTO
21st Apr 2012, 22:11
Aside from all of the nonsense posted here we did get several good private email messages from bona fide corporate pilots who have knowledge and interest in what we require. We expect to hire five new pilots within the next two years for our rotary operations and four more for our jet operations. Good luck to the rest….play safe...:ok: