PDA

View Full Version : A "new Facebook scam"

16th Apr 2012, 22:11
Why is it when I read things like this that I get the feeling that an IQ test should be needed before being given access to the internet.

New Facebook Scam - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3904679)

Firstly, I cannot stand Facebook, it drains the time of so many people who would probably be far more interesting without it. However, I gave in and signed up for an account around three months ago.

Just this afternoon, I had a phonecall from Natwest bank informing me of suspicious activity on my Visa credit card. Some scammer in America had attempted to buy theatre tickets and sim cards using my card!

I am very careful with my card, so there is only one place the scam could have come from. So this is a warning to everyone out there, be very careful of Facebook.

I have not given Facebook my credit card details, but clearly they have managed to get them somehow from my details or my computer. I never use my card online

Never given their card details to Facebook and never uses their credit card online, yet someone managed to obtain their card details from their facebook account!

TURIN
16th Apr 2012, 22:24
It's true though. I joined face-book a few months ago and all of a sudden my local airline has announced massive redundancies. I never book flights through face book or talk about that airline on line etc etc but it's happened.
I think it should be banned. I've a good mind to write to the Daily Mail. :\

merlinxx
16th Apr 2012, 22:42
Cor you're brave :E

racedo
16th Apr 2012, 23:29
I didn't join Facebook and the Sun was shining this morning................:E

Worrals in the wilds
17th Apr 2012, 03:23
I never use my card onlineBut I frequently use it at all sorts of dodgy local businesses where they take it away and process it in the back room etc. :ugh:
I've noticed a trend (particularly among non computer savvy people) to blame the internet for all types of card fraud, which ignores the risk posed by many excellent real-world scams making lots of money for lots of crims. The POV often seems to be 'well I don't use my card online so I'm not at risk' which is similar to 'well I never exceed the speed limit so I'm not at risk of a car accident.' The internet might be a factor in card fraud, but it's not the only factor.

Something I read recently said that the majority of successful scams are still carried out using the telephone. After copping the ol' 'your computer has a virus' racket only last week I wouldn't be surprised (they knew my surname though they used the wrong title; only about five people in the world know my landline number and I never give it out as a contact :ooh:).

visibility3miles
17th Apr 2012, 07:12
Privacy. :oh: :bored: :hmm: :rolleyes:

Oh wait, that's an old ruse. :( :* :ooh: :ouch:

mixture
17th Apr 2012, 07:48
But I frequently use it at all sorts of dodgy local businesses where they take it away and process it in the back room etc

What Worrals said.... well almost, because they don't need to "process it in the back room" .... you've got card skimmers in restaurants and dodgy ATMs.

Dodgy ATMs are becoming increasingly difficult for Joe Public to spot, because the crims are increasingly manufacturing parts (and even fascia panels) that look pretty much like the real thing to the untrained eye. If you think a busy street with CCTV coverage everywhere will deter them, you are mistaken.... they want the ATMs with the greatest footfall.

In many respects the internet is safer if you shop on trustworthy, established sites.

Sailor Vee
17th Apr 2012, 09:42
My bank always sends me a text when my card is used, and normally before I've left the establishment where it's been used.

The Royal Oman Police have dedicated teams whose sole purpose is to check ATMs for any devices which could have been placed there.

goudie
17th Apr 2012, 11:48
Since having my card cloned, which was immediately spotted by my bank, I've never use ATM's. If I want cash I get it when making purchases from my supermarket.

Keef
17th Apr 2012, 12:08
I have had cards "cloned" a couple of times. On both occasions, they weren't cards I'd used for internet purchases or in an ATM. The bank reckons the scammers just "guess" a valid card number and try it to see.

The trick, apparently, is to make a low-value cash withdrawal from an ATM. If that works, then they make bigger hits. In my case, the most recent fraudulent ATM withdrawal was for a lower amount than I ever take. That triggered their "unusual activity" machine, and they phoned me.

What they won't tell me is whether or not they caught the perpetrator.

radeng
17th Apr 2012, 12:08
I had the 'your computer has a virus ' one yesterday. As it happened, on the unlisted line in Mrs Radeng's office. I played along with 'Jenny' as she told me what to do on the computer - it wasn't on, but tapping keys randomly gave the impression. The she asked me what I could see on the screen.

I said 'Oh!' and "I'll read it out to you."

"It says that I am talking to a cheap prostitute called Jenny who is very ugly and is trying to get you to go to a site which will infect your computer so they can charge you to clean it. Then they will steal your credit card details, and incidentally, Jenny has a sexual disease".

Click....brrr.

But I wasted some of their time.

I don't expect I was very popular......

redsnail
17th Apr 2012, 12:36
radeng, like your work. :ok:

phnuff
17th Apr 2012, 13:13
Have a read of the rest of the tread on the moneysaver site - if someone really thinks like that, they should not be allowed anything more technical than a wax crayon.

I can't help thinking there is a troll somewhere having a damned good laugh !!

Worrals in the wilds
17th Apr 2012, 13:58
Nicely done, radeng. :ok:
I wasn't as good. My earnest achiever was left trying to translate the following in best Qld accent; 'Good try sunshine. Do you think I sound like a :mad:ing [insert non PC Australian phrase for a mentally impaired person which I really should stop using] or are you just having a :mad:ing go? Let me know 'cause I'm interested...' having nothing better to do I hung on the line, there seemed to be a bit of a background conversation then they hung up. Dunno why...:E

I know abusing them achieves absolutely nothing. Calling me about supposed viruses also achieves absolutely nothing. Maybe we all amuse each other for thirty seconds. The futility of modern life...:\

radeng
17th Apr 2012, 14:49
Worrals,

That was 30 seconds that they weren't able to use to try it on someone who just might have been naive enough to believe them.

There are people out there even less computer savvy than me who get caught on these scams....

So you were doing society at large a favour. Get Julia to give you a medal!

MadsDad
17th Apr 2012, 15:57
Phnuff, if the initial post is correct the conversation I first recall being used on the old story about the Wordstar help line springs to mind:-

Customer "Why shall I say I'm taking it back"
Helpline Person "Tell the you're too effing stupid to own a computer".

Greek God
17th Apr 2012, 18:22
If you want a lesson on the perils of Facebook try "www.takethislollipop.com"
Nb not for those of a nervous disposition!
:eek:

racedo
17th Apr 2012, 23:32
Aware of a story of a someone having a business dinner with a new customer in a restaurant in Italy and waiter disappeared with his card to charge the bill. Mobile phone rings and he gets asked is he seeking to purchase substantial amounts of computer games as his card is being used for that purpose and its triggering an alert.

He called manager over and told him to go find the employee using the computer and get his card back...............using lots of the local vernacular.

Waiter returns and hands card back with manager beside him, manager gets thanked for the meal for the 8 people which I believe came to €1200 plus and his employee can pay or call the Carabineri now as he will make a complaint, he never paid for the meal.

M.Mouse
18th Apr 2012, 10:58
I know I must have too much time on my hands but whenever I get one of the calls telling me I have a computer virus I play along. They ask you to do various things which eventually brink up obscure logs which to the uniitiated look worrying but are meaningless to the average Joe. Eventually they direct you to a website where they want you to download some software which is where I tell them that they are a bunch of con artists.

My record so far is nearly 30 minutes when I pretended to mis-hear or mis-type stuff so that she had to phonetically spell every instruction. When we got to the bit about downloading a file from a website and I told her she was a scammer a male voice came on the line. He was apoplectic and was shouting obscenities such as 'I shall come and **** your mother!' and so on. I think the fact I was giggling so much made him worse.

Time consuming but damn good fun.

Hydromet
18th Apr 2012, 11:14
He was apoplectic and was shouting obscenities such as 'I shall come and **** your mother!' and so on.
There must have been a crossed line. I think you were listening to me talking to them.:E

Worrals in the wilds
18th Apr 2012, 11:14
He was apoplectic and was shouting obscenities such as 'I shall come and **** your mother!' and so on. I think the fact I was giggling so much made him worse.Charming. I suppose you could spin it out further with a bunch of 'Your Momma' jokes. Well done, anyway. :cool:

G-CPTN
18th Apr 2012, 16:57
Whenever I receive an unsolicited call from an obviously 'Indian' caller, I play along by repeating Yes or No (or Hello) in answer to their questions.
For example they usually know my address (from the directory database) but ask for my first name "What is your first name?" to which I reply "No" (or sometimes "Yes").

If they think I haven't heard the question they sometimes say "Hello" to which I reply "Hello" and they think that the line is faulty so we continue exchanging Hellos until they pose a question such as "Can you hear me?" to which I can reply "Yes" or "No" or "Hello" or even "Can you hear me?".

One doesn't need a prepared script, merely repeating selected words from their conversation can prolong the confusion (of the caller) until they eventually realise that the call is going nowhere and end it themselves.

I'm always polite, and leave it up to them to decide when they have had enough.

I never increase the information that they already hold, unless they are selling double glazing or conservatories or loft insulation or cavity wall insulation or PPI insurance claims when I inform them that I don't qualify (listed building, no space, no loft, solid walls, no loans etc etc).

Yet they still keep calling.
Telephone Preference Service (TPS) doesn't seem to apply to overseas call centres.

El Grifo
18th Apr 2012, 18:27
A mate of mines always feigns great interest in these cold calls. A minute or so into the call he asks them to hold as there is somone at the door or similar, lays the phone down beside the receiver and forgets about it !

The SSK
19th Apr 2012, 13:02
Just received an email entitled ‘Rush Linkedin mail'
From ‘David Hedlund’ with an fdigweb.joomlafree.it address

The text (in plausible Linkedin fonts and colours) is as follows:
LinkedIn
REMINDERS
Invitation reminders:
• From Scott Burwell (Key Account Manager at GDF)

PENDING MESSAGES
• There are a total of 50 messages awaiting your response. Visit your I nBox now.

Don't want to receive email notifications? Adjust your message settings.
LinkedIn values your privacy. At no time has LinkedIn made your email address available to any other LinkedIn user without your permission. © 2012, LinkedIn Corporation.
The hyperlinks ‘Scott Burwell’ and ‘adjust your message settings’ lead me to a ftp.warp.nazwa.pl website
The hyperlink ‘visit your InBox now’ takes me to hotelsatmatheran.com

All very unusual.

hellsbrink
19th Apr 2012, 18:35
If you have an account with LinkedIn (a bit like Fäceböok) then you could be fooled into actually following links. If you don't, well........

There are enough stupid people out there to justify trying these things. That's the problem.

JWP1938
21st Apr 2012, 15:03
I get quite a few cold calls re: double glazing etc. etc. I usually show a lot of interest and ask them if this is a cold random call or do they actually know who I am and where I live. They always say they are well researched and know all about me which is why I have been "pre-selected" for their special offer. After the sales spiel I then ask them if they are going to make the appointment to visit. They ask me when is convenient for me. I tell them any time but I am referring to the appointment with the Council as they own the property. They usually then ask if I am a Council tenant. I tell them yes (I am), but they must know that due to their intensive research. Sometimes I get a "Sorry to have bothered you," but usually just the dial tone. Another 15 minutes of diverting entertainment when I have nothing better to do. If I have, then I just give them the f off at the start.

Charlie Foxtrot India
21st Apr 2012, 15:34
Often get calls from people saying how much money they are going to save me on the new phone plan they have for me,but can never tell me how much my last bill was. I tell them I am really glad they called because I have a plan for them that would save their call centre a lot of money too...but they don't seem to like my plan very much when it's described in intimate detail.

I've also found out that the electronic Telstra lady who asks "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that...did you mean...?" hangs up when you tell her and all who sail with her to F*** O**

BOAC
21st Apr 2012, 15:57
As on the other recent Windows Call centre thread, keep them going as long as you can and when you are 'just about' to give them your card number, ask if it matters that you use a Mac. The reaction on the other end is priceless.