PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 30/04/2012

johnc21
16th Apr 2012, 20:38
I have decided to replace this topic question, since it got no replies anyway and instead I will put my experience at my Class 1 JAA exam at Gatwick AMC.

I arrived into Gatwick airport at 1010 local time. Because I had a lot of time to spare I done a test run on exiting the airport and crossing the dual carriageway and taking the number 10 bus ( which is free if you show your attending aviation house for a medical by means of your appointment letter for example). All in all I was essentially at the CAA building by 1040. This left me another 2 hours to go and as keen as I was to get it over with I don't think they would have approved of my being two hours early. Therefore I decided to kill some time I would do the return trip on the number 10 and go back to the terminal and try and source a coffee and water to aid my urine sample that would be required later. I also searched for free wifi but to no avail, I could get a 15 minute trial after logging my details which I did as I was looking for any last minute tips before attending the "dreaded" class 1 medical.

Fast forward about two hours and I made my way up the CAA building where my ID was checked and I was given a temporary visitor pass. I was asked to provide a urine sample which I went off and dutifully done. They check for sugar, protein etc. Next I was directed to the waiting room. You can guess what happens there,a lot of reading and checking the free Internet while it lasted.

I was waiting maybe a half an hour before being called for my eye exam.Again nothing strenuous - like any eye exam you attend normally. I read previously they put drops in your eyes and your quite blurry for a while after. I never got the pleasure so I cannot comment on that aspect.

Next I was called by a young man who was very friendly and chatty and we done weight and height, audio exam, cholesterol and haemoglobin, spirometry and an ECG. The 5 rooms we entered we flew around them doing the bits and pieces. Took no time at all and was very relaxed. I asked along the way if everything was looking good and he was more than happy to provide feedback.

The hardest part was waiting to see the actual Dr.for the physical. I must have waited 2 1/2 or 3 hours between my last exam with mark and seeing the Dr. Yes I was getting bored but once I went in and we had a little chat and check up, my tiredness was quickly replaced with happiness once he started to print out my class 1 JAA license.

Overall on a personal level I let my nerves rattle me a little but don't let it. They are all very helpful,if you run into a problem they will lean on the side of helping and getting you through or offering the best course of action at least rather than shoot you down and send you packing.

Just thought I would compose this en route home from Gatwick as its purpose will be twofold. One, it will give an overview to those wishing to do and it will be recent feedback. Secondly I have not gone into extreme detail into any of the exams as you will be reading well into the night I imagine so if anyone has any questions please send me a message and I'll try to come back to you if I have the answer. I have no problem helping out with anyone regarding my medical experience. Just ask.

zourabmoussaev
17th Jul 2012, 13:12
Hi I'm doing in about a month or so initial medical class 1. I'm a little afraid for my lungs. I'm diagnosed with mild asthma. I have to take inuvair twice a day but need no further medication. My FEV1/FVC ratio at rest is 72%.
Would I be disqualified. Can you explained as much detailed as possible about that.

Thank you

Regards ;)