PDA

View Full Version : Britain's greatest foe?

CathayBrat
16th Apr 2012, 13:35
George Washington wasn't Britain's greatest foe (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100151080/who-was-britains-greatest-foe/)

Should get some people's hackles up! Was not born at the time, so cant make too many comments, but do our more senior posters have any thoughts? I do know that if i mention the name in ear shot of the old man and his chums, i need more than a tin hat for the incoming! I guess this may end up in the hamster wheel, but not all of it is about politics, so we shall see.

Lonewolf_50
16th Apr 2012, 13:39
Based on what the government's actions have been, it appears that Britain's greatest foe is Michael Savage, presumably because he dares to challenge them to see "the enemy within." (Or whatever he rants about week to week).

So they banned him from the UK.

I still laugh hard at that ... the stiff upper lip crowd banning a nutter for behaving as all court jesters should ...

EDIT:

I just realized I didn't get to the very bottom of the article:

As Cicero wrote: “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within.”

Sounds like something Savage might quote during one of his rants. Is he ghostwriting for that paper?

Ancient Observer
16th Apr 2012, 13:49
Why on Earth mention Washington at all?

He was losing 5 - 0 with little time remaining, and the Frogs rescued him.

Storminnorm
16th Apr 2012, 14:17
As an oldie I admire Washington.
Without him we could ALL have been speaking with an
American accent.

Thank You George. Played a beauty there old son !!

Slasher
16th Apr 2012, 14:22
If one is talking history IMO it was either the bloody Romans,
Misters Ragnarsson & Boneless, or Mister Schicklgruber.

I'd put money on 'dolf and his hordes having been Britain's
greatest foe - not to mention the worst pack of bastards to
have on the Isle had they succeeded.

Storminnorm
16th Apr 2012, 14:32
Adolf was particularly piqued that we didn't join in on his side.

That's what REALLY upset him.

tony draper
16th Apr 2012, 14:44
George Washington a archetypal Englishman born in furrin parts,he was a Officer in the British Army and almost single handedly kicked off the Seven Years War in the Americas by shooting or capturing thirty French Soldier in neutral territory during a unofficial truce betwixt Britain and French forces in the Colonies
Have to agree about Edinwina,the man was a chuckling buffoon

sisemen
16th Apr 2012, 14:44
Britain's greatest foe? No contest. Fckuing Lloyds Bank :mad:

Storminnorm
16th Apr 2012, 14:48
Washington's lot were Geordies anyhow.

Lon More
16th Apr 2012, 15:24
Camerloon, Boris and Co.

RJM
16th Apr 2012, 15:39
Washington is supposed to have had wooden teeth...

G-AWZK
16th Apr 2012, 15:40
After the Geneva Naval Conference of 1927, the original spec of the B-17 was to attack British capital ships in the North Atlantic. War Plan Red was not exactly the most UK friendly policy document.

In the 19th Century, Britain was still fighting the US after it had made peace with France - the White House was burnt down in 1815 for example, and there were plenty of skirmishes between the RN and US ships in the Carribean up until the start of WW1.

corsair
16th Apr 2012, 16:43
The original poll was for military foes who actually led armed forces against the British on the field of battle so to speak. So Heath or Lloyds Bank hardly qualifies. That excludes Hitler too.

I find it ironic that the top two in the poll are effectively 'British' even if that's exactly what they wanted to get away from.

Both Washington and Collins effectively ended British rule in both their countries when Britain was at the height of it's powers. That's a remarkable achievement anyway you look at it.

Two of the other three were ultimately defeated. So it's a fair result.

Lonewolf_50
16th Apr 2012, 16:47
In the 19th Century, Britain was still fighting the US after it had made peace with France - the White House was burnt down in 1815 for example

No, it was not.
The Brits burned Washington DC in 1814.
Battle of New Orleans took place in 1815, after peace deal signed, pre Atlantic Cable.

And there were plenty of skirmishes between the RN and US ships in the Carribean up until the start of WW1.

Angry words, or actual rounds fired?

Care to cite a few examples?

con-pilot
16th Apr 2012, 16:54
He was losing 5 - 0 with little time remaining, and the Frogs rescued him.

And one more time we have a Brit bringing up the French, with nary a mention at all of the Hessians. :=

;)

rgbrock1
16th Apr 2012, 17:13
I think when you consider what the Austrian corporal tried to do to Britain, and did succeed in in wreaking havoc for awhile, that Adolf Shicklelgruber should rate way high up on the list of Britain's greatest foe. (Along with Hermann Goering.) I can't think of any other country which successfully rained bombs down onto your major cities for a sustained period of time.

Mac the Knife
16th Apr 2012, 17:58
The French of course!

Mac :ok:

Les Anglais ont débarqué

Sprogget
16th Apr 2012, 18:26
I think when you consider what the Austrian corporal tried to do to Britain, and did succeed in in wreaking havoc for awhile, that Adolf Shicklelgruber should rate way high up on the list of Britain's greatest foe. (Along with Hermann Goering.) I can't think of any other country which successfully rained bombs down onto your major cities for a sustained period of timeThe rules, as explained above were military opponents only. Hitler as a politician is excluded.

Storminnorm
16th Apr 2012, 18:31
I still think M Thatcher had a lot to answer for.

rgbrock1
16th Apr 2012, 18:31
So it is your opinion that both the German Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe were not military opponents?

Dr Jekyll
16th Apr 2012, 18:34
George Washington a archetypal Englishman born in furrin parts,he was a Officer in the British Army

And fought a German king.

tony draper
16th Apr 2012, 18:50
:rolleyes:
The Madness of King George - The King and Mr. Pitt - YouTube

corsair
16th Apr 2012, 23:32
So it is your opinion that both the German Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe were not military opponents? The terms of the poll only included field commanders which Hitler was patently not. This brought in Rommel. But really do you think Goering was much of a threat?

ORAC
17th Apr 2012, 03:34
The Invasion of England 1688 (http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/battle_invasion_england.html)

William of Orange (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/historical-notes-glorious-revolution-or-orange-invasion-1095968.html)

RJM
17th Apr 2012, 04:59
field commanders which Hitler was patently not

That's debatable.

Krystal n chips
17th Apr 2012, 05:19
And the whole ethos of the article is contained in the last paragraph.....yet another " why we should not be in the EC because we once had an Empire" dinosaur.......:ugh:

Also conveniently ignoring the fact we may well have joined another form of "EU "...had Lord Halifax et al had their way.........." Britains Greatesr Foes".....try looking inwardly.

sitigeltfel
17th Apr 2012, 05:42
Currently?

José Manuel Durão Barroso.

jabird
17th Apr 2012, 05:54
How about the current occupant of the White House? Not our greatest of aliies?

Lancastrian
17th Apr 2012, 07:15
We don,t need to look for foe,s from distant shores...Cicero had the answer! Look to those who have played and tinkered with our laws, our security and our societal control. They paved the way for the terrorist to find sanctuary, the idiot to blossom,the fool to reach high station. They replaced wisdom, prudence and honesty with stupidity,over indulgence and greed. We still look for an opponent in warlike attire,...the enemy no longer wears such obvious regalia. The greatest enemy...ourselves!

corsair
17th Apr 2012, 09:33
:EThe Invasion of England 1688

William of Orange :E

Yes ORAC I thought of that too but history is written by the winners isn't it:ok:

Vercingetorix
17th Apr 2012, 10:30
I thought that William was invited by his wife to oust her father James ii & vii.
A family affair really.:confused:

tony draper
17th Apr 2012, 10:34
Well James was a left footer and we could not have that could we.:rolleyes:

Granite City Express
17th Apr 2012, 10:37
The Invasion of England 1688 (http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/battle_invasion_england.html)

William of Orange (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/historical-notes-glorious-revolution-or-orange-invasion-1095968.html)

Only a foe if you were Catholic or Irish....