PDA

View Full Version : University a good idea?

Jono B
15th Apr 2012, 12:16
Hi there
I have wanted to become a pilot since I was 9 years old. I am now in my final year at school, and have to make a decision. Go to university then to flight school, or skip university and go straight into flying.
If I went to university, it would be more for the experience than for the degree. My father is willing to fund both, although he thinks it is not worth going to university if all I want to do is fly.
Can you help me. Is it necessary to go to varsity, or can I give it a skip. After looking through the many degree's, I still haven't found one I would enjoy.
I guess if I went, it would be for the parties, and the student life, not for the work.
Also, how is one's social life as a pilot? are most of your friends pilots from the airlines you have worked at? and do you guys go to pubs etc. together?

Thanks for your help
Jono B

Paolo
15th Apr 2012, 15:34
I went to university but I do not feel it has particulary given me any advantage. I would go ahead with pilot training without university if I had my time again. I work for a low cost airline as a Captain on an airbus in Europe.

Crews do meet up outside of work, in fact three Captain friends of mine are meeting up next monday for a meal.

Hope this helps

Paolo

Flyboy91
15th Apr 2012, 19:06
I'm at University just now. I was in the exact same position as you! I can't wait to leave uni and start flying. However, uni has been the best experience of my life. Not for the degree, but for making new friend growing up and just becoming independent! I'm not sure how much of an advantage, if any, having a degree is to getting into flying schools but the experience has made it all worth while for me. :)

sudden twang
15th Apr 2012, 21:12
If money is no object, it all comes down to timing ,risk assesment and logical guesswork. There is no point commencing pilot training if there are no jobs. on the other hand you will kick yourself if having been to Uni you are at best 3 years junior To where you could have been and could possibly miss the recruitment bulge if there Is one.
Your airline interviewer will be interested to know how you made the decision rather than which option you took. It's quite a good example of risk or decision making in itself.
If you havnt already ,find out if you have the aptitude/ medical cat to be a pilot.

I wish you well.

ps. Don't tell the interviewers you spent 3 years doing a degree hating a course because you wanted to go partying. Is money of such little consequence that your father will fund you for three years to go drinking?