PDA

View Full Version : Close Call At AKL

Sampan Angkasa
15th Apr 2012, 03:32
Does this happen often with weekend fliers around scenic air routes?

Airbus jet in a 'terrifying' near miss
By Celeste Gorrell Anstiss
5:30 AM Sunday Apr 15, 2012
Email
Print
EXPAND
Air New Zealand Airbus A320. Photo / Supplied
An Airbus A320 took swift action over the Hauraki Gulf to avoid colliding with a light plane on a scenic trip.

Air New Zealand flight NZ938 was filled with families returning from Easter holidays in the Gold Coast. Passengers said they were terrified, clinging to their seats as the plane sharply altered course.

Air traffic control authority Airways NZ is to investigate what it describes as a "potential safety event", after the paths of the jet and a small plane bound for Great Barrier Island crossed about 4.30pm on Friday.

The pilot of the international flight had just announced they were only 10 minutes away from landing at Auckland International Airport, when the big plane suddenly took evasive action.

Passenger accounts varied: some felt the plane had plunged, others that it had climbed sharply.

One passenger, Deborah Sylvester, 34, said it felt like the steep run on a rollercoaster.

"It was very sudden. Both going down and back up were steep. You got that feeling where you lost your stomach.

"I closed my eyes and hoped for the best. I was holding on to the chair in front of me very tight. You knew this was more than a bit of turbulence."

She said the pilot explained over the intercom that a small plane had been flying at an unsafe altitude.

"His words were 'We were on a path to collision'," she said. "I didn't see how that could have ended well, but he sounded very calm and I think that helped make people feel better.

"I'm just very grateful for the technology that picked up the other plane."

Her husband Andrew Sylvester was watching a music video of Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer when the plane throttled suddenly out towards the sea for about six seconds.

"The climb back up was pretty solid. The engine was working hard," he said.

"The wife absolutely freaked. Everyone was looking at each other. No one was sure what was going on."

He added he was impressed with the pilot, who seemed "cool, calm and collected".

The A320 and the small craft were within range of the air traffic-control centre at the time.

Lew Jenkins, group manager of traffic-control company Airways NZ, believed the planes had not come within the 150m vertical distance prohibited under aviation law.

"It was looking to being a potential safety event," he said. "At this point, we don't believe there was a breach."

Airways NZ will begin its investigation tomorrow.

In a written statement, Air New Zealand spokeswoman Tracy Smeaton said the A320 was on approach to Auckland International Airport, descending through 3000 feet, when a cockpit indicator detected a smaller aircraft close by.

She said the aircraft then lifted while circling to avoid the other plane. The go-round could accentuate the "feeling of change" for passengers, she said.

"The pilot applied thrust to climb 1000 feet higher to ensure adequate altitude was maintained between the aircraft," Smeaton said.

"The aircraft circled to recommence the approach and land."

Civil Aviation Authority spokeswoman Emma Peel said Air New Zealand, Airways NZ and the pilot of the light craft would be required to notify the authority about the incident within 12 days.

By Celeste Gorrell Anstiss | Email Celeste

Ornis
15th Apr 2012, 05:46
Was it a close call? The information is pretty scant and it sounds like a panic attack to me. An aircraft VFR to Great Barrier could legally be at 2500ft from Auckland although over the Eastern suburbs the lower level of controlled airspace is 1500ft, a ceiling which extends to Ardmore Aerodrome, the likely origin of the light aircraft.

KRUSTY 34
15th Apr 2012, 08:07
The Captain appears to mention in his PA, his gratitute for the "technology". One can assume he was referring to TCAS.

If it was an RA, then there is no arguement to be entered into!

apache
15th Apr 2012, 09:21
Having read it again, krusty, I am not entirely convinced that it was the pilot who said the he was "grateful for the technology etc....."

These things happen,occasionally.. And that is why we are paid the big I mean medium... I mean "worlds best practice" bucks to do what we do.

If the company wants cheaper..... Well... This could have potentially ended differently!

rmcdonal
15th Apr 2012, 10:10
Passenger accounts varied: some felt the plane had plunged, others that it had climbed sharply.

One passenger, Deborah Sylvester, 34, said it felt like the steep run on a rollercoaster.

"It was very sudden. Both going down and back up were steep. You got that feeling where you lost your stomach.
Doesn't sound like a TCAS avoidance manoeuvre. Only a see and avoid scenario would result in that type of flying, and even then only when you were really close.

Gate_15L
15th Apr 2012, 10:49
a ceiling which extends to Ardmore Aerodrome, the likely origin of the light aircraft.

Highly unlikely.. it probably was a aircraft doing a scheduled air transport VFR run to or from Great Barrier Island.. not every light piston twin out on the weekend is out on a jolly... some of us work for a living you know...

Doesn't sound like a TCAS avoidance manoeuvre. Only a see and avoid scenario would result in that type of flying, and even then only when you were really close

No, it may have been a TCAS RA manoeuvre. There is a history of aircrew over-reacting and over-controlling during TCAS R.As from around the world..
Excessive TCAS evasion injured 20 on Taiwanese 757: inquiry (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/excessive-tcas-evasion-injured-20-on-taiwanese-757-inquiry-314862/)
Another case I recall on a E-Jet resulted in some hull damage and overstress in the States..
Although nothing as drastic in this case. Probably also helped that the cabin was probably secure during the approach and no one standing up...

I wonder if the A320 was cleared for a visual approach outside the 6 mile final for 23L...? Would put you in the area for a Barrier run aircraft around Panmure/ Mt Wellington but ATC often clear you only down to 2500 ft until established on final, then unrestricted... from memory, most runs to the Barrier maybe running around 1500 ft across town at that point...

(Don't get me started.. Visual approaches in a jet are a perfectly normal and safe manoeurve and if you can't fly one, you shouldn't be flying a jet)

Oh and what the h#ll is "lifting then circling"? Do the A320s have a helicopter mode?
mon dieu....

ButFli
15th Apr 2012, 21:27
Hey, go easy on the journalist! They told us all the important details - like what music video was playing! (haha)

Maybe it was work experience day?

cribble
15th Apr 2012, 22:03
I'm just glad that, having "plunged" then "climbed sharply" it missed the school and nearby orphanage.

remoak
16th Apr 2012, 00:23
Journalism of such an impossibly low standard that it beggars belief...

ops.normal
16th Apr 2012, 10:48
Is it well known that TCAS RA's require a response time of 5 seconds? Hardly a need to over control. Sounds like standard journo wind up.

kinteafrokunta
17th Apr 2012, 00:11
Now, lay off the poor journo...there are pilots who claim to superb decrabbings right onto the centreline in 80 kts crosswinds and you all go on nodding your heads with approval of great admiration especially when they buy that happy hour round!

pakeha-boy
19th Apr 2012, 04:32
Quote remoak,,,,"Journalism of such an impossibly low standard that it beggars belief"

says it all...period

slamer.
19th Apr 2012, 07:49
Auckland Airbus jet incident 'minor' - CAA

7:11 AM Tuesday Apr 17, 2012

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201216/SCCZEN_150412HOSSPLAIRNZ2_220x147.jpg

[/URL]
[URL="http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10799442#"]
(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10799442#)Air New Zealand Airbus A320.

Air New Zealand pilots took the correct "evasive manoeuvres'' to avoid the chance of a collision with a light aircraft on Friday, say officials.
The Civil Aviation Authority said yesterday the Air New Zealand Airbus A320 was never at risk and describe the event as "minor''.
The incident took place over the Hauraki Gulf at about 4.30pm on Friday last week as the plane, packed with families returning from Easter holidays in the Gold Coast,
was descending into Auckland international airport.
Air traffic control authority Airways NZ initially described the incident as a "potential safety event'', after the paths of the jet and a small plane bound for Great Barrier Island crossed.
Passengers said the Airbus was coming into land when it suddenly made a steep ascent.
One passenger, Deborah Sylvester, 34, said it felt like the steep run on a rollercoaster. "It was very sudden.

"You got that feeling where you lost your stomach. I closed my eyes and hoped for the best.''
Her husband Andrew Sylvester said the plane throttled suddenly out towards the sea for about six seconds.
"The wife absolutely freaked. Everyone was looking at each other. No one was sure what was going on.''
The Airbus climbed 1000 feet to allow adequate distance between it and the smaller plane.
Airways NZ spokesman Lew Jenkins said, "It was looking to being a potential safety event.'' Jenkins said yesterday they would start their investigation into the event.
A CAA spokesperson said all airline aircraft are fitted with equipment which detects the position of other planes via radio transmissions.
Known as Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance (TCAS), the system alerts pilots if their plane comes within six miles (9.6 kilometres) of another aircraft.
If the system senses another aircraft it audibly warns the pilot and suggests a course of action.
CAA said TCAS alerts were infrequent, and on average the CAA receives about 100 to 150 alerts a year.
-

1Charlie
19th Apr 2012, 10:00
It was a TCAS RA on one or potentially two VFR Islanders outside controlled airspace climbing to 2500. The Jet was descending to 3000 then climbed back to 4000, circled to resume profile then landed normally. Nothing special