PDA

View Full Version : Transceivers and headphones by hand

Etropi
14th Apr 2012, 21:55
Hello everybody
I'm going to travel to US soon, and I was wondering whether I could put my transceiver and my headset into my hand luggage or not. Does airport security consider them something dangerous ? I wouldn't like to see them confiscated because of security reasons...
I wouldn't feel much comfortable either putting all this stuff inside the luggage since luggage get lost easily on long haul flights (usually, for me).
I'm talking about Europe-US flights.
Thank you for any suggestions !

rmcb
15th Apr 2012, 09:13
My transceiver and headset went missing from hold baggage; don't do it! The airline's T&Cs don't usually cover electronic items in their insurance.

Arses.

Avionker
15th Apr 2012, 10:42
Maybe that's why some people take out their own travel insurance, rather than expecting someone else to take care of them.

Personal responsibility I think it's called.

Hotel Tango
15th Apr 2012, 12:15
Avioplonker, er sorry, Avionker,

Insured or not is not the question here. Furthermore, even if one is insured one doesn't particularly relish the thought of losing something one needs for one's trip.

Avionker
15th Apr 2012, 12:46
Hotel Tango

I was responding to the statement made by rmcb:-

The airline's T&Cs don't usually cover electronic items in their insurance.

Arses.

If rmcb takes offence at my statement I'm sure they can look after themselves, and don't need you fighting their battles for them.

And, if in future you choose to respond to any of my posts, refraining from childish insults will ensure that whatever point you are making will carry more weight.

Jarvy
15th Apr 2012, 12:57
Ok stop, between my wife and me we have travelled lots of times and nothing has got lost or stolen from check in baggage.
But I'm am pretty sure you will be ok in hand luggage as long as you don't have it on during the flight, after all a cell phone is just a transceiver is it not.
You must be prepared to explain why you have it, I even had to explain why I have a roll of gaffer tape in my hand luggage!

Avionker
15th Apr 2012, 13:09
The only problem I can foresee is explaining, to the satisfaction of security, why you have an airband transceiver.

radeng
15th Apr 2012, 13:58
I've hand carried and also put in checked baggage with no problems. But that doesn't mean you won't get any. It did help that, the one time it was queried, the TSA guys had a radio amateur amongst the crew on duty.

But 20 years ago, I had a problem in Canada with them objecting to a PC boards with some coax cables. In the end, it had to be placed in asealed bag and carried by the Captain: the problem there was that it contained an integrated circuit with what was at that time, advanced military possibilities, and I'd been visiting US defence contractors. Had it gone missing, there would have been some questions from very high up....

Etropi
15th Apr 2012, 16:33
Thank you all. Well I think I won't take the risk, it's not strictly vital. However TSA regulations, as it seems by their website, don't say transceivers can't be brought in a hand luggage expressively. But China does put some restrictions on that. I know it's different, but it seems pretty much to me every airport does its rules on what is dangerous and what is not.

Does any of you have experience talking about headset ? That'd be easier to explain for a hand luggage. After all, I could also listen to music linking it to the iPod, so it's not that strange, except for the mic.

grounded27
15th Apr 2012, 19:12
Avionker, you are offensive, just an observation no reply needed. To the OP I doubt the TSA person would be likely to know what you are carrying. They may ask you to turn it on after scanning it through the x-ray machine. Doubt you will have any problems.

Chuchinchow
16th Apr 2012, 08:38
And, if in future you choose to respond to any of my posts, refraining from childish insults will ensure that whatever point you are making will carry more weight.

Please, keep your fortuitous insults, petty bickering and pointless arguing for play time. You can fight all you like out there.

Failing that, use the private message facility.