PDA

View Full Version : Linux(Ubuntu)/Windows dual boot

BOAC
14th Apr 2012, 08:03
I am concerned that since the two file systems do not 'recognise' each other, that there is the possibility of over-writing? I cannot easily determine where Ubuntu has installed - how do I locate the actual drive on which the '/root folder' is located? It appears to be on a partition which when viewed in XP does not carry a drive designation other than a drive letter, whereas the others are 'DSK1_Part2' etc

In Ubuntu, my drives appear to be similarly labelled with 'capacity' and Disk 'X'/Part 'Y' and the same disk as above is simply shown as '63GB File System'. Are all these disk names the same as I see in the XP system and is there an easy way to add the XP drive letter to them in Ubuntu so I can more easily locate files I wish to work on? The particular issue for me is to get LibreOffice files working in Linux and that of course requires all the macro drive designators changing in the code from the Win style to Linux.

mad_jock
14th Apr 2012, 10:23
I think it depends which order you install them in which file system is set up on the disk.

If you do the linux second you can get a driver for NTFS and then everything can be seen but you might have some file rights issues.

Or you can get your hands on a EXT2 driver for windows and then it should see it.

Accessing Linux Filesystems in Windows | Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9449)

This article shed more light on it.

BOAC
14th Apr 2012, 11:09
MJ - thanks - a really useful link. I did Windows>Ubuntu.

Regarding 'naming' drives in Linux - any links to help me there?

mad_jock
14th Apr 2012, 11:29
You don't named drives in Unix

You mount them to a point in your file system.

If you wanted you could call a directory CDRIVE and then mount it to there or you could just let the automount take care of it and then use "ln" to create a link to somewhere which is logical in your head where it should be.

If you use ls -al you will be able to see various links in the file system.

your home directory can appear to be all on one disk when actually in reality the directory can be spread over several mounts or for that matter over several servers. Which can be a pain sometimes for an Admin because the user sees a directory and then can't access a sub directory and starts bitching about it. When you look into it that sub directory is mounted on another sever on another continent which you have no contact numbers or telnet access to. And its admin has been knobbing about with thier groups file and chmod and NIS+ has gone in a sulk.

Mac the Knife
14th Apr 2012, 11:56
The definitive dual-booting guide: Windows 7, Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step (http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_xp_stepbyst ep.htm)

Mac :ok:

[I have one system in which one can boot Win7, XP, Hackintosh, BSD, and 2 Linux(es?) - all can read and write a separate Data (call it My Documents in Windows parlance) drive]

BOAC
14th Apr 2012, 16:31
Mac - have sent PM.