PDA

View Full Version : Advice please, about driving Sydney to Broome

Stearman13
13th Apr 2012, 23:03
Hello Folks,

I'm considering the drive from Sydney to Broome via Port Augusta and Katherine.

Although I have some info available to me via internet and maps, I'd be most grateful to hear the advice and info anyone can offer as I really don't know anyone thats done it before...eg, road conditions, distance between fuel stops, recommended overnight stops, anything would be welcome.

Thank you.

Stearman13
14th Apr 2012, 01:21
DropYourSocks, I never indicated I was going there to seek flying work. I did that 25 years ago....but thanks for your advice.

Old Akro
14th Apr 2012, 01:47
Remember the NT has speed limits and a points system. If you are caught speeding the points will end up on your NSW (or whatever) licence. Don't dive between dusk & dawn North of the dog fence.

Trojan1981
14th Apr 2012, 02:03
Don't dive between dusk & dawn North of the dog fence.

Absolutely! Only trucks with big bullbars drive at night up there!

sagan
14th Apr 2012, 02:05
And yet again the first 3 replies are 'smart' answers from the weak links in the industry.

RENURPP
14th Apr 2012, 05:11
I have done Sydney - Darwin a few imes and been Darwin - Perth a few as well.

I would go from Sydney up through Mt Isa - Katherine - Broome.

If youbwant o do it in minimum time, I would allow 4 days driving daylight only.

The average car has plenty of range between fuel stops, I.e. around 300 kms max. Roads are fine during the dry, maybe a different matter during the wet.

I would stop around Charleville, mt isa, Katherine then Broome. Really long days but it can be done.

If you want to go the way you suggested, mil dura, cooper pedy, Alice, katherine, Broome. There are road houses in between the places I suggested that would allow you to do more kms a day.

triathlon
14th Apr 2012, 07:55
Weak links? Did you read the first post?

tail wheel
14th Apr 2012, 08:31
Did you see THIS (http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/60711/Quickest_drive_time_from_Sydney_to_BroomeKimberlys.aspx) ?