PDA

View Full Version : Qantas not being honest

Wedcue
13th Apr 2012, 11:14
Departing Perth this morning, our 767 was delayed and on all the screens around the terminal, it was listed as delayed "due fog."

All passengers quietly sat around waiting, and watched plane after plane land and take off.

Some 40 mins past our boarding time, our cold n dark aircraft was towed onto a bay that had been vacant for well over an hour.

In flight, I went back and talked to the cabin crew to kill time, and infront of other passengers, and without me even asking anything about it, they brought up the fact that the company is lying to the passengers about the reason for the delay. They were hoping some centre of excellence managers were around to see it in action.

Not cool man, not cool.

framer
13th Apr 2012, 11:27
Don't suppose they happened to mention what the delay actually was?

porch monkey
13th Apr 2012, 11:34
While they aren't being honest about a lot of things right now, the fog may not be at the departure point, either. That tends to confuse the punters a bit!

tgbgtgb
13th Apr 2012, 12:26
Which flight was it?

No point blasting off straight away if you know youre going to have to hold and wait for the fog to clear is there?

(Disclaimer: not a pilot)

Wedcue
13th Apr 2012, 13:12
It was the 0810 service out of Perth. There was some mist around, some very very light fog patches, but all aircraft were landing and departing no problems. But thats not the point.

My point is, the bay was free, the aircraft had not landed from anywhere, it was towed to bay 30 mins after boarding time, from a remote bay out toward Skippers.

There would not have been any weather (fog) forecast beyond 9am ( the time we actually departed).

ejectx3
13th Apr 2012, 13:17
I thought this thread was about Jetstar never canabalising mainline, qf pilots all earning half a mill each, freight price fixing, etc etc etc.

How do you know when a qantas CEO is lying? His lips ....

Anulus Filler
13th Apr 2012, 19:25
My point is, the bay was free, the aircraft had not landed from anywhere, it was towed to bay 30 mins after boarding time, from a remote bay out toward Skippers

I'm one who normally criticizes just about everything QF do, but I can assure you that on this particular delay it was not QF's fault.

All tows for the QF aircraft which were parked on remote bays were held up on that morning as ATC were approving tow movements one at a time. ATC were unable to see the tarmac areas and taxi ways over at domestic, so all tows to the bay were exceptionally slow. Since QF have a a number of tows 'on to bay' after the first wave of departures, there was a compounding effect of delaying the next group of departures.

balance
13th Apr 2012, 19:31
Whilst there is a real possibility that QF were in fact lying, porch monkey makes the point that you haven't addressed. The 0810 service TO WHERE?

Was there a possibility of fog at your DESTINATION which required the delay?

Ngineer
13th Apr 2012, 21:04
I think Anulus has probably put this thread to rest. Sounds logical to me.

topend3
14th Apr 2012, 01:08
It's very easy to be critical from the comfort of a departure lounge when you have no idea of what is going on out on the airfield.

Wedcue
14th Apr 2012, 02:02
Relax Balance. The DESTINATION was Sydney, landing at 1500. No chance of fog then buddy.

Wedcue
14th Apr 2012, 02:05
Topend: the crew even told me about it. They were also critical of their actions and they were in the know.

Im sure it was probably innocent, but why not just say, due ground handling delays, the aircraft will be towed onto the bay late...?

Capt Fathom
14th Apr 2012, 02:17
due ground handling delays, the aircraft will be towed onto the bay late....

....due to fog! :E

Capt Kremin
14th Apr 2012, 02:18
the crew even told me about it

Cabin crew tend to be just as in the dark as everyone else. Unless you heard it from the operating tech crew, I think Anulus would be correct as I have had recent experience with late aircraft out of Perth due to what he describes.

framer
14th Apr 2012, 06:09
and they were in the know.

How on earth did that happen? I've never seen it before.

topend3
14th Apr 2012, 06:15
Wedcue - yes there was fog in YPPH yesterday morning and yes there were ground delays, hence there was no lies and your post is pointless...

balance
14th Apr 2012, 06:36
Thanks wedcue for allowing me to relax. I was really getting all worked up about this thread too? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Perhaps though you could have said so in the first place? Might have saved a few unnecessary posts on what is pretty clearly an unnecessary thread.

Time to go click I reckon.

Seriously
14th Apr 2012, 06:47
Its pretty obvious that destination fog was definitely not an issue as it was a 767 departing Perth in the morning... They only operate to capital cities out of Perth

ozangel
14th Apr 2012, 07:40
Don't believe everything cabin crew say.

Seriously!

Once worked in the cabin with a girl who had actually taken the captains joke seriously when he said the ignition keys fell under the seat and he couldn't find them in the dark (after a delay on pushback). Said girl also adamantly believed the old virgin blue rumour/craze that eating cotton wool balls soaked in soy sauce would help her lose weight. She was a Cabin Supervisor FFS!

Just so you don't think stupidity of this order exists at only the one airline...

When training at Qantas, there were at least 5 trainees who believed the 'old school' trainer when he said (when in the life raft), liberally spraying hair spray on the surface of the water will deter sharks, which prompted the response from one trainee "Oh, so if someone dies, can you spray hairspray over their body to stop the sharks so they don't get eaten?"

myshoutcaptain
14th Apr 2012, 07:45
cotton wool with soy sauce.!!!! I have heard of stopping to fill up some pressurization (fuel tech stop) and eating chocolate is ok , your metabolism is higher when airborne! :8

Apologies for thread drift ...

Tidbinbilla
14th Apr 2012, 07:50
Indeed. I think the question has been answered.

Thanks, Annulus Filler :ok: