PDA

View Full Version : Old e-mails appearing months later.

N707ZS
13th Apr 2012, 06:51
First visit here.
I have had two e-mails appear in my in box this week which where sent to me in January, today being April I just wondered where they might of been one was a copy the other I have never seen before. As a clue they both have the same subject line. I am with Virgin/NTL.

Tableview
13th Apr 2012, 07:17
You might find that the date on the sender's computer was wrong, ie set to January. I have had this happen to me.

Slasher
13th Apr 2012, 09:39
Aye a computer clock wrong. Usually happens when the
sender's motherboard is replaced and no one bothers to
reset the time.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Apr 2012, 09:40
Could also have been in a slightly broken data structure in a server that got restarted - something like that could push out batches of duplicates months later. There might or might not be clues in the Received header chain.

Milo Minderbinder
13th Apr 2012, 12:20
I've had that happen a few times to me and a couple of my customers.
Every time it seems to have been a glitch with an IMAP server (never POP).
PIPEX seemed to be especially prone to it a couple of years ago. It was damned disturbing when a few hundred messages I thought were safely deleted suddenly downloaded again
My guess would be a broken server thats been partially restored from a backup.

Were you using IMAP mail?

Saab Dastard
13th Apr 2012, 13:12
I had a similar occurrence a while back when Virgin moved from their own email system to gmail - dozens of my Sent items came back to my inbox. I think that was only items sent via the web client, rather than my Outlook client.

SD

N707ZS
14th Apr 2012, 06:56
Thanks for the replies. The mails were sent on the correct date as they were both related to events so I don't think it was anything to do with the senders computers.
My mail goes through a (POP).

All I can think is it was a Virgin system fault.

OFSO
14th Apr 2012, 10:41
TD: anyone here had SMS's arrving up to 12 hours after sent from a phone to another ?

Milo Minderbinder
14th Apr 2012, 10:54
Orange is a PITA re delaying SMS messages
Yes - I've had several times where they've been delayed for 12 or more hours, and then they all arrive en masse

Tableview
14th Apr 2012, 10:58
TD: anyone here had SMS's arrving up to 12 hours after sent from a phone to another ?

Not just hours, days in some cases, and the 'phone has been switched on and with coverage all that time.

TZ350
14th Apr 2012, 19:18
" TD: anyone here had SMS's arrving up to 12 hours after sent from a phone to another ? "

Occasionally happens in Germany, also I get the delivery confirmations sometimes 12-24 hrs later.

ExSp33db1rd
19th Apr 2012, 08:26

Yes.

Also I use a local VOIP service, like Skype, which allows me to type a SMS on the computer keyboard, instead of farting about with all those silly little mobile phone keys, where 1 key is used for 3 or 4 characters, then I just 'send' to a mobile phone number, but it isn't instantaneous and replies are sent to the computer, not back to a mobile phone, so it isn't very convenient if you want a reply.

Milo Minderbinder
19th Apr 2012, 15:01
ExSp33db1rd

I use a VOIP service called VoipCheap - where the texts are immediate and also can be made to appear as if they come from your mobile, so replies go to the mobile

jimtherev
19th Apr 2012, 23:03
Yes.

Also I use a local VOIP service, like Skype, which allows me to type a SMS on the computer keyboard, instead of farting about with all those silly little mobile phone keys, where 1 key is used for 3 or 4 characters, then I just 'send' to a mobile phone number, but it isn't instantaneous and replies are sent to the computer, not back to a mobile phone, so it isn't very convenient if you want a reply.
If you register your mobile phone number with Skype the reply should come back to your registered number, not Skype... well, mine does, anyway.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2012, 00:25
he's not using Skype - he's using something like Skype

jimtherev
20th Apr 2012, 12:40
he's not using Skype - he's using something like Skype
Bah! My attention deficit disorder cutting in again. Sorry, XSBird

Tom!
21st Apr 2012, 11:16
I've had an e-mail after 2 YEARS once. I was puzzled by why that person sent me an email about a subject that was finished years earlier, until I saw the sent date in the header.

Guess some server emptied its cache or something... (It was on my POP3-account with my ISP but the mail originated from Hotmail)