PDA

View Full Version : Unusual military a/c today

Jet2LeedsTom
12th Apr 2012, 16:28
Hi all. Forgive my ignorance, I have little knowledge of military aircraft or their "usual" movements.

However. Today (Thursday 12 April) I noticed two unusual movements for my area. I live in a small village about 8 miles north of Leeds, West Yorkshire, with the nearest base for the a/c I'm about to mention being - probably, and again apologies for my ignorance - Linton on Ouse.

About 11.30am this morning what appeared to be a E-3D Sentry (it was grey, four-engined, donut-type contraption stuck to its top) was circling overhead for about half an hour. I can not accurately estimate height or exact location save for it was below the reasonably thick loudbase in the skies above West Yorkshire.

And just now, 5.25pm local, a Chinook has circled, twice, almost directly above my house which, as I say, is 8m north of Leeds, before heading off in a westerly direction. Again, altitude tough to guage but the Chinook was about the same as I've seen police choppers circling. So: it was low.

These could, of course, be two entirely seperate events but to see two military a/c, both low, both circling, and both unusual sights in these parts just set me wondering what they were doing. I've seen commercial jets training in this area before with the tell-tale contrail figures-of-eight. Is this likey to be the same sort of thing?

Cheers :ok:

Are

JEM60
12th Apr 2012, 17:33
A NATO AWACS had been doing circuits at Mildenhall half an hour before your time, maybe it went up north after that?

Whispering Giant
13th Apr 2012, 17:08
Europe's largest annual military excercise is currently on (operation Joint Warrior) involving many western european countries and is taking place in the north sea/scotland that's why there's so much military aircraft activity at present.

brgds

W.G