PDA

View Full Version : Oxford OAA- Baltic BAA or US JAR ?

Belowclouds
12th Apr 2012, 08:32
Dear Colleagues:
On behalf on my son who (poor me!) is about to join our society I dare to ask my questions:

Well, after long search we have three options for his ab-initio training:

So, option #1:

Integrated Training in Europe | Oxford Aviation Academy - OAA.com (http://www.oaa.com/pages/training_courses/ab_initio_europe/integrated_training/)

Pros: Pretty straightforward, established, well-reputable.
Contras: Expensive (around 140,000 US$).

Option #2
Airline Transport Pilot Course, ATP, IR, JAR, ATPL(A) (http://www.balticaa.com/en/aviation-training-courses-/ab-initio-pilot-training-fto/airline-transport-pilot-course-atp/)

Pros: Almost twice as less expensive (around 70,000 US$).
Dearly recommended by my friend from Vilnus.
Contras: Sometimes vague to understand.
Very long course (Info from two different sources: 2-3 years).

Option #3
Airborne Systems - Home Page (http://airbornesystems.net/)

(Or others - there are lot of them in Florida which give you JAR training)

Pros: Short term (one year), low price - 60,000US$
Contras: Short term, low price - look suspicious.

Now I have a questions:
1. Is it worth to pay so much to have the word "Oxford" on your CV?
2. Does OAA give some advantages in further employment?
3.Is training quality the same in every school?
4.How may it be that on US soil you have European Education for much shorter period of time?
5.From the employer point of view - are ill licenses the same, no matter where issued?
6. From the government point of view - is JAR license issued in the UK equal to the JAR license issued in Florida?
7. What would you recommend to go for training?

Sorry, this questions overlapped each other, I just tried to have a whole picture. Your advises would be of a very much value to me.

funkyt111
12th Apr 2012, 11:32
Hi,

I would also like to know the answer to such questions but my guess is that people are going to ridicule you as thats what people are like on this forum : /

Firstly, they will say "read the forum and search for answers on here before posting."

Secondly they will say that your son will struggle to do will in this industry if he is not able to search for such answers himself instead of his mother doing the work for him. (which I kind of agree with).

Cheers

Dan the weegie
12th Apr 2012, 12:04
1. Is it worth to pay so much to have the word "Oxford" on your CV?
>> I do not believe so, but that may be different in the middle east and asia.

2. Does OAA give some advantages in further employment?
>> Yes but more opportunities to be had elsewhere, either way you will need to pay for your type rating.

3.Is training quality the same in every school?
>> Definitely not. Oxford graduates that I've met are not as good as those from elsewhere in many respects, there have been one or two exceptions but I believe that it relates to the individual. The main complaints relate to the poor quality teaching they recieve in the USA. (not that all schools in the US are bad)

4.How may it be that on US soil you have European Education for much shorter period of time?
>> I'm not sure but I don't think you can get the whole EASA licence outside of europe... you should definitely research this more.

5.From the employer point of view - are ill licenses the same, no matter where issued?
>> Definitely not. EASA licences mean you can fly for European operations so are theoretically freely transferable. In practice it's a bit different as you need to be in contact with the country that issued your licence fairly regularly.

6. From the government point of view - is JAR license issued in the UK equal to the JAR license issued in Florida?
>> See 4, JAR no longer exists as far as licencing is concerned (for the purposes of issuing new licences) but I don't believe the USA can issue EASA licences. Do more research.

7. What would you recommend to go for training?
>> Not OAA. As for where you should go it depends on what you want to do and how much money you have. but for OAA money I'd consider CTC.

There's lots and lots of information on this very topic, look particularly at the modular vs. integrated threads. Your questions have been answered before, so yes, use the search function, or google.

Belowclouds
12th Apr 2012, 12:44
Well, I will definitely do more and more research as the boy's mother spending her time in a local hospital, trying no cure sick kids. But I will appreciate any feedback as well. I just try to safe a little bread earned by heavy flights in stormy skies.

formigal
12th Apr 2012, 15:05
Hello. I am visiting OAA next 21st... But I will visit as well on 23rd CTC in Southampton... Thank you for the suggestion.

wingreencard
13th Apr 2012, 05:15
funy, I am givig up with this jar, while others are ready to join the long queue of unemployed people who probably will never touch a plane in their life after their cpl.
I explain you:
this industry is not set for selfsponsored pilots like us, it' s not possible to pay all this money , find a job, and make a living after all. it 's not possible!

it's not possible to spend 100'000 or 150'000 euro, look for a job, then maintain license current at 800 euro/hour in a multi engine plane each 2 years or a full motion simulator plus ad VAT tax of 20%, then pay for line training , food, accomodation , maybe for years, to finish unemployed.

this system was set for the airlines to pay for cadets from 0 to ATP, not set for self sponsored pilots. it's not viable.

Analyze the situation, and see by yourself, too many problems around the world . we are in a year of election, if we elect the same idiots (they did with Putin and we go with obama/sarko again) who brought us to this 2008-201X(?) crisis, I tell you, the next 10 years are not going to be better.Spending money in an aviation career right now, is simply foolish!