PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Reversers at LCY?

PPRuNeUser0171
10th Apr 2012, 20:39
Watching some BAE-146's landing at LCY on Youtube when one of the commentators said that the 146's can't use thrust reversers at LCY due to noise restrictions - I thought it was because the 146 doesn't HAVE thrust reversers!

Also, what are the noise restrictions around LCY? Are the new A-318's and Embraers quieter than the old whisper jets or have restrictions been changed?

cheers for any insight you can offer.

Gary.

Skipness One Echo
10th Apr 2012, 20:48
Speaking as a someone who lives on the approach/climb out, the new ERJs are noticebly much noisier, the A318 is in the same bracket. However Newham is hardly blessed with private sector investment yet the local NIMBY's still moan......

No 146 or RJ ever had reversers, the only aircraft I recall seeing use them at LCY were the Luxair ERJ-135s. I assume the A318 too but I haven't actually seen for sure.

They don't even like APUs at LCY lest the locals be woken from their sleep before nipping down to the dole office.

PPRuNeUser0171
10th Apr 2012, 21:00
Thanks for that - I thought Newham was getting quite a bit of investment with the Olympics? I used to live in Newham but moved out five years ago and rarely have reason to go back.

I recall that when LCY was first built a lot of press was made about the whisper jets not being noisy - how did the A-318's pass muster?

Intruder
10th Apr 2012, 21:18
Reversers don't add any perceivable noise if they are used at idle thrust only. However, even the use of idle reverse turns a significant amount of residual forward thrust into a bit of reverse thrust, so it is worthwhile.

Skipness One Echo
10th Apr 2012, 23:56
I thought Newham was getting quite a bit of investment with the Olympics?

Yes, we made some foreign labour from Poland very rich. The locals have few skills that people would pay for, put it this way, no one's over 5'5''!