PDA

View Full Version : Jack Tramiel RIP

vulcanised
10th Apr 2012, 16:50
The man who started a lot of us along that road has died........

Commodore founder Jack Tramiel dies at 83 | Gaming and Culture - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57411467-235/commodore-founder-jack-tramiel-dies-at-83/)

tony draper
10th Apr 2012, 17:31
My first was a 64,imagine switching on and waiting twenty minutes whilst you desktop loads,tell the kids these days and they wunt believe yer.
:(

Mike-Bracknell
10th Apr 2012, 20:45
Pah, the youth of today ;)

(my first was a Vic=20)

mixture
10th Apr 2012, 20:52
Mike,

I had you down as old enough to be the handsome young chap standing next to this contraption.... you must have had a big bedroom !

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~hla/G5AHOC/lecture4/DE2complete.jpg

:E

Milo Minderbinder
10th Apr 2012, 22:03
My first was a Sinclair ZX-81

What's worse is that I still have it
Please don't laugh

India Four Two
11th Apr 2012, 05:54
mixture,

An extremely ironic post. Mike IS nearly old enough to be the chap in your photo.

That's the Difference Engine built by the Science Museum in 1991 to celebrate the 200th aniversary of William Babbage's birth.

Do go and see it if you have a chance. The only computer I have ever seen with a drip-tray underneath it - just like British motorcycles ;)

PS The first computer I used was an English Electric KDF9 with 32k of ferrite-core memory. Enough power for a whole universtity!

mixture
11th Apr 2012, 06:40
IF2,

I haven't been to the Science Museum for an eternity (when I last did, you still had to pay for entrance !). So probably worth a return visit to see how things have changed !

India Four Two
11th Apr 2012, 06:54
mixture,

If you do go, don't forget to visit the aircraft gallery to see some very famous aircraft and get a close-up view of the ugliest sporting trophy I have ever seen - the Schneider Trophy.

green granite
11th Apr 2012, 07:37
The first I used was an Elliot 803, My irst nome computer was an Acorn Atom that came in the form of a kit of parts and you had to populate and solder the PCB yourself.

P.Pilcher
11th Apr 2012, 10:23
Hey, taking a whole millisecond to do an addition, that was a sophisticated machine. My first was an Elliott 903 - the baby one. Write program(me) in Elliott Algol, punch same onto paper tape. Feed it into machine with the interpreter loaded. Receive miles of paper tape containing the machine code version (IF there were no mistakes in your Algol code of course). Then stuff that in, enter your data on more tape and out comes the tape containing the data processed. No CRT's no direct data entry - that was computing in the 60's!

P.P.

MacBoero
11th Apr 2012, 12:14
I came into computing slightly after that. My first program's were written in Basic, but typed into a teletype terminal connected by acoustic cup modem to the nearest college, that had a mainframe. Output was only to printed paper, and programs could be listed to punched paper tape for reloading later.

For small edits, there was a clear Perspex block with indexing pins and guide holes, so you could use a tool to punch individual holes into tape to correct errors. Splicing a small piece containing a single line of code into a longer piece holding the rest of the program was common practice.

After that it was Research Machines Link 480Z machines connected by something called Thin-net to a Link 380Z acting as a file/print server. No hard disks, the 380Z had twin 8" floppy drives, one containing executables for itself and the 480Z's, the other containing students' projects.

At home I also started with a Sinclair ZX-81, followed by Atari 600XL and 130XE, with tape drive, floppy drive and printer.

Built my first PC in about 1988, 286 at 12MHz... Wow! I had a few hand-me-down PCs after that.

Went onto Macs after that jelly mould iMac, then PowerBook G4, now MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone.

It still astounds the level of changes, and I work with this stuff everyday!

Saab Dastard
11th Apr 2012, 13:01
As well as the Science Museum, the National Museum of Computing (http://www.tnmoc.org/) at Bletchley Park is well worth a visit. They've got a complete ATC radar display installation there - ex West Drayton I think.

Just need to check the opening times & days carefully though.

SD

Basil
30th Dec 2012, 14:58
Just came across this in Wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/8_bytes_vs._8Gbytes.jpg

Above: a microSDHC card that stores about 8 billion bytes. Below: magnetic-core memory, used until the 1970s, that stores eight bytes using 64 cores.

When I worked for IBM, before driving 'planes, we had boxes of ferrite core RAM lying around the place.

People like Jack Tramiel lived in 'interesting times' and not 'interesting amusing' either
I was speaking to a guy in Australia who was, as a child during WW2, shunted around Europe. I didn't ask if he was a Jew; I'm guessing not as he was probably too young to work and he wouldn't have survived.

Mac the Knife
30th Dec 2012, 16:19
"My first was a Sinclair ZX-81"

Me too - loved that thing!

The original disappeared, but I've got another one somewhere...

Mac

:ok:

jimtherev
30th Dec 2012, 17:27
mixture,
The first computer I used was an English Electric KDF9 with 32k of ferrite-core memory. Enough power for a whole universtity!
Similar here - except 16k which filled a whole Terrapin building. The soon-to-be-MrsJim (and all the female programmers & operators) were barred from the computing suite because they were said to be jinxed: the machine kept falling over whenever they entered.
Turns out that the multi-layer petticoats they wore (No, this wasn't 1859 it was 1959!) were causing so much static that the console circuits were detecting the sparks as well as the (presumably weakish) signals from the paper tape readers.

We have indeed moved on a bit since then. :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Dec 2012, 17:54
so much static
Well I certainly knew not to wear nylon underwear anywhere near a computer in the 1970s!