PDA

View Full Version : PA34-200T RPM SETTING FINAL APPROACH??

Flight Instructor
9th Apr 2012, 16:00
Hi everyone, quick question regarding RPM settings for the Seneca II. I have been reading a copy of the relevant pages the SOPs from my old flight school and they state that "for a symmetrical approach RPM should be set to 2400rpm on final and not max rpm. Only on a asymmetric approach should the props be moved to max setting."

Some people have suggested that this is because 40" MAP is not required for a "normal climb" in the SOPs but even for a Vy climb stated as 40"MAP at 89kts IAS it still states to set RPM at 2400 and not max.

I have meaning to ask this question for a long time now but not got around to it, so what is the reason for this rpm setting?
It seems to contradict the Pilot Operating Handbook I have read for a Seneca II - 200T. If someone with knowledge of the reason for this could get back to me I would be very grateful as I would like to be able to explain it to the IR examiner I use who has asked why I do not move rpm to max on final.

Thank you.

madlandrover
9th Apr 2012, 16:07
Noise control, not banging the props off the fine pitch stops, enough excess performance at 2400rpm to not need full rpm, pilot discretion, etc? If you can find a copy of the engine manual then you should find a table showing what MAP can be used with what RPM, ie what the highest MAP you can safely run with each RPM setting is. Makes a nonsense of people setting 25/25 in the climb in something NA because "it's max continuous power".