PDA

View Full Version : Education for RAAF pilot selection

raafwannabe
8th Apr 2012, 10:46
Hi all,
I am currently doing year 11 (VCE) and dream of being a pilot in the RAAF. I am studying English, General Maths, Maths Methods, Physics, Business Management and year 12 Health. I know the last two are mostly irrelevant to the job (although doing a year 12 subject this year gives me a 10% ATAR bonus). So far I am getting good marks in all subjects. I do orienteering twice a week. I have achieved my bronze Duke of Edinburgh award and am in the process of completeing my Queens Scout Award. I recently joined Air Force cadets but since I'm 16 I will only be in it for about 2 years.

So my question is this: Is this enough for me to be competitive for ADF pilot selection? Providing I get good final school results of course.

I'm concerned that not doing subjects like chemistry and not doing a team sport (although I do other teamwork related activities) will be a disadvantage.

Please only reply if you have something to do with the ADF aviation scene. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Thanks

falconx
8th Apr 2012, 22:45
Quite simple get on the Adf website , call them or go to a you session

Ultralights
8th Apr 2012, 23:08
If your in Sydney, get out to bankstown and find the Red Baron flying school. They do a RAAF pre selection course there.

Keg
8th Apr 2012, 23:46
I never joined the RAAF but as a former AAFC officer i watched a lot of my cadets go through the process. Don't stress about the lack of team sports. You've got Scouts and the AAFC behind you to tick that box. If you can knock over your Queen's Scout award that would be helpful.

If you didn't know already, you can wear your DEA badge on your AAFC uniform. Ask your SQN staff for info on how to wear it properly.

kellykelpie
9th Apr 2012, 01:56
If not doing a team sport bothers you, why not just enrole in one? It may come up - so just take something up.

forever flying
9th Apr 2012, 03:35
Read this website to death.

ADF Pilot Selection Agency: Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.airforce.gov.au/psa/index.aspx)