PDA

View Full Version : These New Commercial requirements

japandwell
7th Apr 2012, 18:01
We have all heard of the new stringent requirements that US FAA certified pilots must meet prior to being allowed to fly for a part 121 carrier. The most consistant information that I am getting is that the 1,500 hour requirement is actually not entirely so. A pilot from the military will only require approximately 750 hours. I have heard that a pilot graduating from a aviation university may need less than 1,500 as well.
Has anyone heard if that pilot who graduates from an aviation university will need to have finished under part 141. Many US pilots who graduate from those typical 4 year aviation universitys actually finish under part 61. This part 61 is of course completed at the university, but under part 61. There is really little difference between part 141 and part 61 when conducted in a professional setting such as a university. Some students decide on 61 to avoid the added cost and time of continuing to practice while waiting weeks for a stage check.
My question is whether a pilot who got all of his ratings at the university and finished under part 61 will still get the credit from FAA that a 141 student gets.:confused:

MarkerInbound
7th Apr 2012, 18:33
Remember that none of this is in effect yet, it is all just proposed. However:

(b) A person who holds a Bachelor’s degree with an aviation major from an accredited 4-
year postsecondary institution, as defined in §61.1, and holds a commercial pilot certificate
with an airplane category and instrument rating obtained from an affiliated part 141 pilot
school may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate with a minimum of 1,000 hours of
total time as a pilot that includes at least:.....

You can send your comments to the FAA and they will consider them in the final rule.