PDA

View Full Version : Fokker 100 Rolling from Side to Side

TCAS_Alert
7th Apr 2012, 12:42
Hi all

I was onboard a red-tailed Fokker 100 the other week heading to Europe, and as I was sat over the wing and the aircraft had a strong shadow on the wing, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before when sitting further back. In the cruise, the aircraft was gently rolling from side. Not by much, maybe only a couple of degrees, and it wasn't noticeable when not looking at the wing, but was certainly noticeable when you could see the shadow moving up and down the wing.

Do any Fokker drivers or engineers know if this is normal for these aircraft, or whether it was due to wind conditions on this particular day?

Cheers
TCAS

172_driver
7th Apr 2012, 15:28
Slight dutch rolling tendency? I've seen it (not felt, bx it's so minor) in other jet transport aircraft as well.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
7th Apr 2012, 15:33
Yaw damper inop.

Out Of Trim
7th Apr 2012, 15:56
Slight dutch rolling tendency?

Understandable... It was a Fokker! (Dutch Roll)

OK I'll get my coat... :E:suspect:

Genghis the Engineer
8th Apr 2012, 08:33
I don't know the type at-all, but agree that it sounds like a low amplitude neutrally damped Dutch Roll.

Quite a lot of aeroplanes do this, sometimes even with the yaw damper serviceable (which may have been programmed to only bring the DR characteristics into acceptable limits rather than remove them altogether). It is only a problem if the amplitude is great enough and/or the damping low enough to interfere with good control of the aeroplane.

I'm guessing that the period was probably somewhere around 3-5 seconds?

G