PDA

View Full Version : Unabridged CPL training ?

DiverDriver
10th Sep 2001, 02:35
Had a conversation with an instructor the other day and he seemed to think that even under JAR a PPL with 600+ Hrs TT would not necessarily have to undertake the full 25Hr CPL modular flight-training course and could elect to undertake an unabridged course (not sure if this is the right terminology). Does anyone know if this is true and if so what’s the deal? Cheers.

foghorn
10th Sep 2001, 13:52
The instructor was wrong. Under JAR there are no credits unless you are ex-mil or have a foreign ICAO-compliant CPL already.

TooHotToFly
10th Sep 2001, 18:53
If you meet the requirements you may still complete a non-approved course of training, sit the CPL Skill Test in a 'simple' type and be issued with a CAA CPL, providing licence issue is recieved prior to 30th June 2002.

mad_jock
10th Sep 2001, 19:52
I have also heard something about this.

Aparently if you are poo hot the school can put you forward after 20hrs of the CPL course. Of course as this would lose profit for the FTO, so I don't think they will play unless your at one of the customer servicing schools.

This information came from a CFI talking to the CAA examiner.

MJ

Captain Spud
11th Sep 2001, 01:15
My understanding is that abridged CPL training is available currently for normal bods only for CAA CPL issue and only if they hold at comencement of training :-

1)PPL min 600hrs

2) CAA CPL or ATPL exam passes

Under the above circumstances the CPL training hours required (and incidentlty the IR hours) are at the discretion of the FTO.

Of course all training and testing must be complete for licence issue by 30 June 2002.

CS

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: Captain Spud ]

DiverDriver
11th Sep 2001, 02:52
Thanks for the replies guys but I’m still a little confused. I thought the CAA CPL was dead. TooHotToFly and Captain Spud - presumably to gain a CAA CPL before June 2002 I would also need to pass the old style CAA CPL or ATPL writtens. I’m currently doing the JAR ATPL ground school. Would passes in these exams be acceptable or are the two licenses incompatible. Indeed what would be the benefits in holding a CAA CPL over a frozen JAR ATPL. Sorry for all the questions it’s just that being close to the hour requirement it may be worth digging a little deeper.