PDA

View Full Version : Reapply after 12 months...

anonymouspilot
7th Apr 2012, 00:44
After recently receiving the rather shattering call from a major that my application was unsuccessful, and I could reapply after 12 months, I am after some advice (and maybe help others in the same boat).
For others that have been in this situation, or familiar with recruiting, are many people successful on the second time round? I guess it shows some character to wait and try over, but why would anyone offer another interview if you failed the first time? Are there any protocols within recruitment circles that deal with applicants reapplying?
Is there any hope or is it best to cut your losses and look elsewhere?

Capt Claret
7th Apr 2012, 01:18
Is there any hope or is it best to cut your losses and look elsewhere?

If by "look elsewhere?" you mean that you might consider an alternative field of work, not fly for 12 months, then reapply; then you're unlikely to be successful in 12 months.

I'd think finding whatever flying job, or staying in the present job, and gaining more experience & skill can only enhance your chances of success.

If one is to cut their losses at the first hurdle, many would interpret that the goal was not that important.

Hang in there I say.

anonymouspilot
7th Apr 2012, 01:34
CC,
Thanks, by 'cut losses and look elsewhere' I meant 'accept the fact I'll probably never get a start with that carrier'. No intention of getting out of flying, like so many other pilots, even if I wanted to leave, I've got no other qualifications, so I'm in it for the long haul...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ejector
7th Apr 2012, 03:19
All you have to do is research that company.

It is a simple answer, some hire people on their 3rd time round, yep, twice interviewed or tested, Failed, then when the time penalty is up, fresh apply again.

Some say their interview process is so great, that they are perfect and once rejected, bye bye......

Hugh Jarse
7th Apr 2012, 03:26
It's pretty straight forward, anonymouse. You either missed something on the interview, or failed the SIMEX.

Assuming you did an S&P, you obviously met their "fit".

It's a shame the prospective employer can't give you any feedback. You can blame past litigious applicant's that didn't agree with the assessment :ugh:

Because you don't know which aspect of the process you failed, I suggest you work on both components of the interview. 12 months is heaps of time to really sharpen your interview skills (and manipulative skills for the box).

Although I have not used them myself, I know of many candidates who used a Sydney company called Pinstripe Solutions and reported good success with subsequent interviews.

As for the SIMEX, you now have an idea what the flight profile is. That doesn't change much over time. Think about what you feel you could have done better. You're obviously an IFR pilot. Use every opportunity to practice an approach (commercial constraints notwithstanding). Got an autopilot? Switch it off and pole the plane around as often as practicable. Be quite critical of your performance and identify your weak areas. Get someone experienced in assessing IFR pilots to come along with you and take a look at how you fly IFR. Hire somebody if you don't know anyone!

Personally, I think those Flight Experience sims etc are of very limited value, unless the "instructor" is a highly experienced IFR operator capable of giving you an objective assessment of your session. You would be better off directing your dollars to something more productive.

With regard to second time success: If you apply yourself between now and the next attempt, your chances are very good (in the order of 70-75%).

Good luck!

The Bunglerat
7th Apr 2012, 05:02
A number of years ago I was unsuccessful in applying for a position that, at the time, I thought would be the ideal job & for which I was tailor-made. As it turns out, I ended up getting a much better job soon after. The company that rejected me ended up doing me a huge favour, & in hindsight, I can now see that if I had ended up there, I would have been miserable & frustrated (like most of the other people I know who currently work there).

It is a fact of life that, as one door closes, another usually opens. That said, if you're hellbent on getting onboard with the company in question, don't let a temporary setback floor you. Like they say: It's not about how many times you get knocked down, what matters is that you get back up. Learn from the experience, take the time to assess (not so easy, I admit, when feedback is not forthcoming), & use the next twelve months to refine & re-package yourself for another go.

linedriva
7th Apr 2012, 07:12
I have to agree with Bunglerat, I was in the same boat. Turned down for the position with a major airline and was very disappointed. Fast froward a few years and I look back and realize that the job was not for me - even I saw that I wasn't the right fit for that company. I've now progressed far further than the original company offered. Don't let one little setback keep you down, even though at the moment it feels like a big one.

boocs
7th Apr 2012, 07:43
Oh please.....

The number of times I had "reapply again in 12 months" or "sorry no positions" etc etc etc. Keep trying. Re-apply next week not next year. It took me 2 years to get an interview with my current employer. In the meantime apply to other carriers as well.

b.

DeltaT
7th Apr 2012, 07:49
I was so terrible with my applications that twice I have started the interview process with Jetstar over the years gone by and they have stopped all recruitment completely each time :} and I still got the 12month application ban! :ugh: :mad:

Ejector
7th Apr 2012, 10:28
Consider your Blessed or bloody lucky DeltaT :ok:

sixtiesrelic
8th Apr 2012, 00:15
A friend of mine got knocked back and his father was an old coleague of the interviewers, so he found out why.
"Your son is still a bit immature. That'll change with time!"
I reckoned he was pretty mature myself so, we must appear different to different people.
The lad landed up getting into a better carrier in the next twelve months and is sitting pretty. He wanted to get into the one that knocked him back because many of the pilots were people he knew all his life and that was the tribe he felt was his.
He now is one happy pilot and has been for a few years... as someone else said. One door closes and another opens.