PDA

View Full Version : The Helicopter Show, Silverstone.

Savoia
21st Jan 2012, 07:16
For the past year I've been seeing publicity surrounding the first Helicopter Show (http://www.thehelicoptershow.com/) which is due to take place at Silverstone motor circuit on 26-27th September this year.

My friends would tell you that if ever they've met someone who employs the "can do" .. "it's possible" approach to life .. then that's me. But, the cynic in me asks .. what will another exhibition/show really achieve?

Granted that aviation manufacturers generally have hefty budgets (shows and marketing are costly) but once you start a 'new' trend the onus falls to the 'big boys' to be ever-present lest they be accused of complacency, a lack of concern for public relations or worse .. going through a downturn in business (all comments one's hears when a manufacturer is absent from a major event).

I could be (and certainly hope that I am) wrong and maybe 'The Helicopter Show' really will be .. "The marketing opportunity of the decade" .. "from the team who brought you Helitech and DSEi" and that Silverstone 2012 will in fact be the place where "the rotorcraft business gets serious".

As for me I would like to see manufactureres trimming their exorbitant marketing budgets (certainly possible in the cyber-age) and passing these savings on to their clients.

As I say, I am not usually a negative thinker and maybe there's someone out there who can help me 'see the light' and understand how this show will deliver something of benefit which is not already catered for in the UK!

paco
21st Jan 2012, 16:22
The old advertiser's song is that a marketing spend actually reduces prices because it attracts more customers....... yeah, right. :)

Apart form giving us an opportunity to meet some of our present past and future clients, and other trade partners without travelling all over the country, such shows come out of our advertising budget - magazine advertising simply doesn't work, and at least the people who routinely ignore it are forced to walk past the stand.

There is a risk of being "showed out", but we will be giving it a try especially as it's only 2 days and the feet won't be quite so sore.

Chris P Bacon
5th Apr 2012, 20:51
Just been informed by the organisers, the "Helicopter Show" planned in September at Silverstone has been cancelled because of lack of interest from the big manufacturers.

paco
6th Apr 2012, 03:17
After I made all those T shirts......

Phil

Savoia
6th Apr 2012, 06:30
On 21st Jan Savoia wrote: maybe there's someone out there who can help me 'see the light' and understand how this show will deliver something of benefit which is not already catered for in the UK!

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/474881-helicopter-show-silverstone-26th-september-2012-a.html

PANews
6th Apr 2012, 15:14
There were a lot of annoyed people out there.

Not only did the team setting up the show at Silverstone upset the Helitech team from which some.... no... all... of them had been born into the industry ... 'how dare they set up a rival to Helitech etc etc...' they seem to have led the big manufacturers to get together and decide not to go.

The Silverstone team were banned from last years Helitech [literally] an almost unknown type of attack on a rival show where many other shows are advertised often on a contra basis and there was a rumour that there was to be a meet between the 'big' manufacturers to squash this upstart. Not too sure if that is legal but whats done is done.

Clearly it was squashed.

There was a list of exhibitors taking part but they were largely a bunch of 'who?' suppliers, a supporting cast to a group of main players who apparently decided the outcome of this event last autumn.
:\