PDA

View Full Version : QOL flying in Brazil??

JAfly
4th Apr 2012, 11:35
Hello all,

New to the forum and first time posting. Thanks ahead for all the replies, i really appreciate it.

I've searched the forums and found a few answers but nothing to recent.
I was wondering what the quality of life is like working for an airline in Brazil (TAM, GOL, AZUL etc.)?

I would appreciate any input on flying schedules, management treatment of the pilot group, things of that nature. You guys are all pilots and we pretty much look for the same things in terms of QOL, so you know what talking about.

I've heard CRM is not existent in the cockpit, true?? That capitans are very dicatator like.

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for other options right now. All my certs are from the FAA and have a few thousand hours with airline/turbine time here in the US. I am a Brazilian citizen, and have fluent Portuguese, and thinking of going through the conversion process for my certs.

Thanks
JA

Autothrust05
5th Apr 2012, 00:43
Hi JAfly,

First of all, what do you consider a good quality of life? Good money attached to lots of days off? just forget it.

By law, we're entitled to 8 days off a month so do not expect more than that. At Azul, we used to have around 12 days off with the perspective of 14 days but due to the pilot shortage, the last few months captains were scheduled with the minimum days off.

At TAM I hear schedule is often 6 days on 1 day off. They rather give you stand-by than giving you the day off. The pay check is off course much better than by Azul but on the A320, your life will be on the road.

Gol just fired 80 copilots and 45 FAs this week and announced the reduction of 6% of its flights. I don't know much about their schedules, only that there are no open channels with the administration.

Have you heard the non existence of CRM? assholes are unfortunately everywhere, here, in Europe and in the US as well.

Greets

GoAround_Flaps20
5th Apr 2012, 01:35
Who told you about the non-existent CRM concept in Brazil? Maybe someone who think that we have monkeys walking on the streets and also that Buenos Aires is our Capital city. There are lots out there.
For your info, CRM here nowadays is brilliant. We have LOTS of "new generation" captains, aged 35 or less, well prepared and fully committed with this idea, because they have lived with this concept since their first flight lesson, when they started to attend their Private Pilot course.
The work is hard, the money is enought to have a decent life, the rest and days off are minimuns, BUT the CRM is excellent.

Cheers,

GoAround_Flaps20

PS. Our Capital city is Brasilia.

JAfly
5th Apr 2012, 11:50
Thanks for the replys guys.

Autothrust - sounds like you work for AZUL, thats who I am kind of interested in. How are the trips their scheduled? Are they out and back or are you gone for 3-4 days at a time? Do you enjoy working their? Do you have any pros and cons about working their? Sorry for all the questions but your the person who I have been looking forward to talking too. Someone who is working for the company and knows aviation in Brazil. Thanks again.

GoAround - Good to know about the younger generation thtas is in, and that CRM is their. Having a good relationship on the cockpit is important.

Thanks again
JA

Really Brasilia is the Capital, I thought it was Rio;)
I know Brazil, I was born their, my family has business down their and my brother lives there. I just have no clue about aviation down there and dont know any pilots personaly. All I know is that aviation is growing quickly there.

elmetal
5th Apr 2012, 18:23
You joke, but Rio was the capital of this republic not too long ago!

Autothrust05
7th Apr 2012, 19:20
There is the possibility to choose for return flights but it depends on seniority and availability. They adjust the frequency of the flights and add destinations very often making the life of each crew planner a real nightmare.
In some trips, you stay out for only 1 day but some you simply stay 3/4 nights away from home. I rather have these 3 days trip, so I don't have to care about how I'm going to get to the airport or home.

We have lots of red eye flights. Our planes are average 14 hours a day on the air. I had many times my sign on at 23:00lt, next day 03:00lt and the following day 01:00lt. At the end of the trip you're a mess.

gr

elmetal
8th Apr 2012, 00:50
What airline is that???

Rera
13th Apr 2012, 22:07
Heu dude, flying in Brazil is very simple! Good weather, reasonable money (too much of tax) and very nice partners! The odd is that you will fly a lot with 8 to 9 days off in TAM and GOL. AZUL maybe 10 to 12 and less money. The CRM is only to complete the requirements (not referring to the pilots) because the airlines still put a lot of pressure in their crews.

Anunaki
14th Apr 2012, 00:55
Good eve boys,quick question regarding Anac,heard they're a nightmare to deal with!is the license validation process long?any difference going over there or doing online(except for a good churrasvo in between)?:8

elmetal
14th Apr 2012, 01:13
You absolutely can't do ANYTHING online.

You have to be here for: CCF (Medical), Regs test, flights and checkride.

It takes about 1-2 months to get the above. Another 2 months to get your license. No temporary license issued, you literally have to wait.

I just went through the process FAA > ANAC PM me if you need

Also, I'm 99% sure you have to be a citizen, either naturalized or born

Anunaki
14th Apr 2012, 01:24
Thank you just sent a pm!Yes I've got dual citizenship now,just looking forward to some caipirinhas now(not between flights:} )

Autothrust05
15th Apr 2012, 13:00
In theory the license conversion would take approximately 2 months but in reality it takes around 7 months to get it done.