PDA

View Full Version : 80-yo woman lands twin Cessna after husband's collapse

poorjohn
3rd Apr 2012, 19:39
I suppose this has no excuse being posted here (but that's what mods are for) but it's a fairly interesting GA story. U.S. woman, 80, lands plane after husband's fatal collapse - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/u-woman-80-lands-plane-husbands-fatal-collapse-182618747.html). Supposedly no experience at the controls, tried three times with a lot of help from tower and a chase plane before somewhat-pranging it the third time (collapsed nose gear, fits at least the standard loose definition of a successful landing i.e. everyone walks away.) Applause.

john

757_Driver
3rd Apr 2012, 19:45
nice one.
Most armchair pilots and flight simmers probably think they could do it, but the real acheivement by this lady is to keep calm under that much pressure. many people wouldn't
Bravo.:D:D

FLCH
3rd Apr 2012, 19:46
Great job ! almost single engine no less.

Damn ! now ICAO is going to raise the retirement age to 80.

TonKat
4th Apr 2012, 04:59
Especially as it is reported that the pilot (husband) was pronounced dead on landing :(

a great job and well done to her:D:D:D

fergineer
4th Apr 2012, 05:42
If flying were difficult then they would let 80 year old ladies do it all the time, watch your backs you pilots!!!!

strake
4th Apr 2012, 09:17
Terribly sad for her to lose a companion of so many years but quite a stunning bit of flying if what we read is correct.
An asymmetric landing is challenging at the best of times never mind the circumstances this lady found herself in.

20driver
4th Apr 2012, 11:29
All in all pretty amazing piece of work. I wonder how want hours she had as a front seat passenger.

20driver

stoneage
5th Apr 2012, 09:14
Pretty Sad, but really amazing and brave stuff at the same time. Well Done:ok: