PDA

View Full Version : BA- New "dove" Livery

Flyboy91
3rd Apr 2012, 14:04
BA Great Britons - 'The Dove' aircraft time-lapse video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YDDXXGoF7Dc#)!

So, the new BA "Dove" livery- what do you think?

transmitforDF
4th Apr 2012, 14:36
If I saw a model of it and happened to be wearing a scarf......

Aero Mad
4th Apr 2012, 15:22
Perhaps this is one for the BA thread or for Spotter's Corner.

on time all the time
4th Apr 2012, 16:45
A lot of razmataz for a very disapointing result..... A bit like the London Olympic logo...

vulcanised
4th Apr 2012, 16:46
Being discussed in JB.

Where else?

N707ZS
4th Apr 2012, 19:03
All that work and it looks like Charlies pidgeon!

stab3.5up
4th Apr 2012, 19:14
We can all hum catch the pidgeon catch the pidgeon lol wen it flys past

take-off
4th Apr 2012, 19:17
Thats the best they can come up with to promote 'british' for the olympics?:ugh:
and you wonder why the country is in a mess....:mad::mad:

does'nt say much about their service, flying on a flea riden bird!!!:ugh:

PAXboy
4th Apr 2012, 22:28
Another Dove thread already merged with the main BA thread in this forum http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/276402-british-airways-2-a-91.html

Fairdealfrank
5th Apr 2012, 11:32
Don't the Libdems have a (knackered-looking) dove as their logo?

transmitforDF
5th Apr 2012, 12:00
yes I wonder if this is one of the few things they were allowed to influence as part of government and what a fine job they've done :rolleyes:

Fairdealfrank
5th Apr 2012, 12:03
Quote: "yes I wonder if this is one of the few things they were allowed to influence as part of government and what a fine job they've done"

Yeah, isn't that the case!!

no sponsor
5th Apr 2012, 17:58
It's Speckled Jim!!

FR-
5th Apr 2012, 19:51
Vile, whats so British about it?

Heathrow Harry
6th Apr 2012, 08:30
nice video of how they actually transfer the idea into the real paint job tho'

nigel osborne
6th Apr 2012, 16:30
Well we had a politically correct Olympic boring emblem, a mostly blue UK national sports kit.

Now a politically correct plane with gold squiggles on which has nothing about the UK or the Olympics on it !.:confused:

It seems that its now an offence to put "Britain" or much to do with our country on anything.:oh:

What another wasted opportunity to promote ourselves .:=

Wardie73
6th Apr 2012, 16:45
All that effort for such a poor result.... Ah, I get it! It's a metaphor for our Olympic team? :{:ok:

bex88
6th Apr 2012, 17:51
saw this on wednesday and the tail looks really nice but you cant see the rest of it. Its a really nice idea to have a smart paint job to promote something but it really does not scream British or olympics. It should have been far more in your face like the Air Newzealand all blacks paint job or Etihad's F1. I was disappointed to be honest. Are there not more designs to come though?

arem
6th Apr 2012, 18:49
Yep - not impressed - bring back some of Ayling's Tails!

PAXboy
6th Apr 2012, 19:39
Article says that 9x 319 only and all in the same, guess because it keeps costs down. Also, they are due to remain in the livery for the usual six years.

Fairdealfrank
6th Apr 2012, 19:58
Guess that depends on how well we do in the Olympics!

N707ZS
6th Apr 2012, 23:04
Can someone sneek Banksy onto the ramp on T5:E We might get some interesting stuff.

jabird
7th Apr 2012, 21:16
Well I for one like it - but I still kind quite make my mind up - is it a striking bird, or does it indeed look like bird strike? One of those visual conundrums (probably not intended) but I'll go with the former. Gold and white are a great combination, and probably some good PR to come out of this, better than letting MOL hog the airwaves all the time!

jamestkirk
9th Apr 2012, 08:13
I saw in in the flesh yesterday whilst taxi'ing in at ABZ,

So wanted to say on the radio 'why is that a/c painted up as a chicken'.

Its truly artistically offensive.:}:}

Richard Taylor
9th Apr 2012, 09:24
I think I like it! :}

It's the very epitomy of today's Britain...;)

DC-10-COL
9th Apr 2012, 10:11
I think it`s disgusting, we have a "CRAP" Olympic logo, "CRAP" sports kit that seems ashamed to be Red, White & Blue - now we have a "CRAP" Olympic design?!? (if you can call it that) shambles on a "BRITISH" Airways plane and they have even taken the "BRITISH" red, white & blue off the tail! So what`s Great about Great Britain, I ask you? I`m glad I`m Scottish some times.....

Rant Over!

ps, Pigeon (or Dove) is appropriate of a government who :mad: ****s on us!

Tableview
9th Apr 2012, 10:22
Banksy could certainly have done a better job than whoever did this 'Dove' effort. Here are a couple of Banksy's works photographed in Bristol about 2 weeks ago.
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/pprunemike/Banksy01.jpghttp://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/pprunemike/Banksy02.jpg

Firestorm
9th Apr 2012, 15:32
I don't get it. But then no one asked for my opinion, and I didn't pay for it.

LiveryMan
9th Apr 2012, 16:39
Where to start?

Ok, let’s start with its visibility:

Up close and personal you can easily make out what it is supposed to be.
But once viewed from a distance, similar to the average distance Joe Public will see it at, the fine gold accents are lost in a sea of white. The only thing you can make out is the gold waves on the tail.
This is the sign of a poorly thought out aircraft livery.
The first lesson I was taught in designing vehicle liveries is to be mindful of the effects of distance.
For airline aircraft, the livery must be visible for some distance to be effective. As the average passenger will only see it from a terminal window as the aircraft taxies by a few hundred feet away. Or the public see it a few hundred feet in the air on takeoff or approach.

The basic method to check for this is this: Once you have drawn up the design, full screen it on your monitor and take ten steps back. If you have the facilities, print it out on A1 and take 30 steps back.
Look at it and honestly ask yourself; can you still make out the smallest feature?
If not, start again.
This livery fails that first, basic, test.

Secondly, subject matter:
The whole reason for the BA competition was to design a livery to celebrate the London 2012 Olympics.
I agree a dove represents peace, but the dove is not an Olympic symbol. Nor do the Olympics represent peace anymore. Anyone who does recognise the fine gold accents as outlined feathers might not automatically know what they are for. The design could, in my personal opinion, not look any less like a dove if it tried.

Thirdly, overall design:

If you look at Olympic Liveries from the past, they were all vibrant, colourful and almost always featured the logo of the advertised games or incorporated elements of it in the livery design. They certainly told you who was holding the games and that the airline was proud to be a sponsor and/or official carrier.

The BA dove is none of the above.

Fourthly, recognition:

I have done my own survey; So far I have showed the livery to 45 different people.
30 thought it was a dirty plane or a blank white plane, only 2 of which recognised it as a BA plane.
5 thought it was an Emirates airplane.
1 thought it was from Air France.
1 thought it represented sperm.
The rest said they didn’t have a clue

A small group of people to be sure, but I selected them for not having any more knowledge of aviation than your average traveller.

In summary, the livery has been poorly designed, poorly executed and is no more “Olympic” than the HB Staedtler pencil currently resting on my sketch pad on my desk.

PAXboy
10th Apr 2012, 02:09
That, LiveryMan, is a very fine summation of this vapid design. It is SUCH a waste of money. Likewise agree with DC-10-COL that the logo and outfits are useful. I have to say, the moment I saw the logo, I lost any hope that this was a good idea.

Thread Drift:
Talking of good ideas, who do you think was on the c'ttee that approved the mascots called Wenlock and Mandeville? My (obviously stupid) presumption was that a mascot is meant to be friendly and fun and appeal to children?

London 2012 Olympic Games Union Jack Wenlock soft toy 25cm | Special edition mascots Official Olympic Shop (http://shop.london2012.com/London-2012-Olympic-Games-Union-Jack-Wenlock-soft-toy-25cm/Mascot/Special-edition%2520mascots/71004911,default,pd.html)

Mandeville Beefeater handmade glass decoration (14cm) | Bombki Glass Official Olympic Shop (http://shop.london2012.com/Mandeville-Beefeater-handmade-glass-decoration-%2814cm%29/Collectables/Glass/25000311,default,pd.html)

And there are more like that. Brilliant. It must be art. :hmm:

I'm off to JB.

WHBM
10th Apr 2012, 12:00
It's almost like the design profession has taken some sort of secret oath to impose as many ludicrous "Olympic-theme" designs on us as possible this year. I have found all of BA's liveries ever since they started as attractive and professional (including the "World Tails"), but not this one.

Exatly the same as the main 2012 Olympic logo. In the run-up to its unveiling there were various suggestions in the press by amateurs, including a very attractive one which blended the Olympic rings, the London skyline, and the classic Underground map approach. At the official logo launch in front of all the national journalists there was an over-long introduction by some design lovey about "brand values" and all that, followed by the moment of unveiling, when there was a vast un-choreographed sigh of despair from througout the room, mixed in with several "Oh for F***'s sake".

By the way, who actually can see a Dove in there ? Or any Olympic theme ?

Bealine EchoGolf
10th Apr 2012, 13:34
I saw the aircraft from underneath going into Heathrow, you have no idea it is in any special livery , no big letter under the body (like Emirates, Air Berlin), just a poor, poor showing, and what a waste of money.

MARK9263
10th Apr 2012, 14:51
The sobering thought is that someone was actually paid to dream up this abomination.....! They should be hanging their head in shame...

Whats happened to this country.....:ugh::ugh:

sitgetan
10th Apr 2012, 15:14
Surely one problem in the translation of the concept into reality is that the Dove symbol is primarily a shape rather than feathers etc. So when applied to an aircraft it is only a dove because somebody says it is. It could just as easily be an eagle or a hawk.

Tableview
11th Apr 2012, 09:16
It isn't any worse than the abominations painted on BA aircraft during the regime of Robert Ayling.

Evanelpus
11th Apr 2012, 09:24
1 thought it represented sperm.

You carried out a personal survey of 45 people, in Scotland, why? Who did you interview for this classic quote, Rab C Nesbitt?

britkit
26th Apr 2012, 16:29
I'm sorry but every time I see that aircraft on telly it reminds me of 'The Dove From Above' in Shooting Stars...cooo cooooo :p

Guest 112233
26th Apr 2012, 16:43
Yep I had a look at the Collectibles: get hold of the die cast Concorde image.

OK it might be the colour setting's on my browser but I think its not quite there yet.

Olympic Die-cast Vehicles | The London 2012 Official Shop (http://shop.london2012.com/olympic-die-cast-vehicles/Collectables-Die-Cast-Vehicles,default,sc.html)

I wonder what others think?

CAT III

PAXboy
26th Apr 2012, 16:59
Checked teh 'colletibles' page as it's a quiet day ... waste of time.

More tat and rubbish. Piffle and nonsense. :mad: