PDA

View Full Version : Post PPL advice

Rich Axon
1st Apr 2012, 22:56
Hi guys, this is my first time on here, so apologies if i am covering some old ground.
I am a UK based student pilot just finishing my JAA PPL (H). I am 29 and currently self funding my training. I am looking to be a CPL pilot by next year and to then progress to work in the industry.
I have been advised by some to get my FAA commercial as this is cheaper and easier, then to look for work and hours abroad.
I am currently tending towards hour building in the USA, doing FAA IR, R44 and 206 rating as part of hour building and distance learning for EASA CPL (H)/EASA ATPL (H) to gain an EASA licence, which i understand will convert to other licences with most ease.
Does this sound like a good route?
If i do go down this route, i am going to have to start exams soon. I am looking at CATS, CAPTONLINE and BRISTOL GOUNDSCHOOL. My thinking is that i should do the ATPL course with bristol, as this will allow me to get my atpl without restudying and it will be another advantage when job hunting. Bristol also have an excellent computer program, which i think would help my study time. They all quote different hours for studying, is this just a variation in the estimates etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Epiphany
2nd Apr 2012, 00:38
My advice would be to go back to the Rotorheads page and look at the top. You'll see a sticky titled 'So you want to be a helicopter pilot'. Read that first.