PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Plane Crash at YCAB Caboolture 30/3/12

Jabawocky
30th Mar 2012, 01:58
Anyone know anything?

I left there this morning, no doubt somebody I know.:sad:

Delta kilo
30th Mar 2012, 02:11
Had a call from a pilot friend doing a bit of plane spotting, when he heard the Mayday on his hand held. EFATO at 200 odd feet, and tried to turn back. No more details than that at this stage.

Rotor Work
30th Mar 2012, 02:13
From ABC News Website

Authorities say a light plane has crashed into trees at Caboolture, north of Brisbane, with reports a person has died in the accident.
It happened near the airport just before 11:00am (AEST).
The fire service and paramedics are at the scene.

RIP

Rotor Work
30th Mar 2012, 02:20
From the Courier Mail

A MAN has died in a light plane crash near Caboolture airport, according to early reports from emergency services.
It is believed the plane crashed into trees at a council refuse dump on McNaught Rd (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=McNaught+Rd,+Caboolture&hl=en&sll=-27.287998,152.987569&sspn=0.898257,1.234589&hnear=McNaught+Rd,+Caboolture+Queensland+4510&t=m&z=15).
There were no passengers on the plane.
Fire crews were called to the scene at 10.50am.
A woman involved with the Caboolture Recreational Aviation group said the plane got into trouble shortly after take off when it was struck with engine problems and failed to land safely.
"It had taken off and had engine problems and didn't make it back," she said.
She said the plane wasn't from a flying school and she thought it was privately owned.

She said the plane crashed east of the council tip and a mayday call was put out just before 11am.
Planes from Caboolture Recreational Aviation were in the air at the time of the incident and responded to the call and searched the area for the plane.

superdimona
30th Mar 2012, 02:28
oh, crap. Was it a Jabiru, Gazelle or the Cub?

Jabawocky
30th Mar 2012, 02:56
Not good.:{

If the rego reported to me is anything to go by a nice bloke, and a F/O for the same place my partner/hangar mates worked for. (deidentified for the moment due sticky beak media) but I guess most of you know the folk I am referring to, and this guy was off the same fleet.

RIP mate, that next beer you were going to have is still in my fridge....:sad:

PS........
oh, crap. Was it a Jabiru, Gazelle or the Cub? No none of those and it was not from ANY of the schools. I know who it is but until the family etc are informed I do not want to post info here, the media will be all over it and me! Happened before.

rocket66
30th Mar 2012, 03:49
Was beautiful when I was up and about this morning, such terrible news to hear especially when its so close to home, RIP mate.:(

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Mar 2012, 03:53
Brother is working at that tip today. Worst spot to put down in the entire tip. Concrete rubble and scrapped rebar. :sad:

sprocket check
30th Mar 2012, 07:29
Any idea what engine?

I don't want to start any discussion, but there was a EFATO at the field I fly at last week, cause as yet unknown (not water). A better result for the pilot.

A PM would be appreciated.

Condolences to all of course.

Sc

spinex
30th Mar 2012, 09:30
Register lists it as a 912.

RIP.

Keg
30th Mar 2012, 11:06
Sad day for many of us at the Rat as a result of this.

Jabawocky
30th Mar 2012, 11:23
Indeed Keg,

He was a REALLY nice bloke too.

No doubt you flew with him on the 744.

Lots of grief and disbelief, and he was just talking to me about retiring soon.

angry ant
31st Mar 2012, 00:08
According to todays CM, the Gentleman concerned was Mr. Alan Robinson, 64. RIP.

The aircraft was a Europa, 2 seater.

Vale

Angry ant

Offchocks
31st Mar 2012, 02:11
I've known Alan for the past twenty three years. He was great to work with, a good pilot with a dry sense of humour.

RIP Alan