View Full Version : ATPL minimum

KnightOnTheTownUK
30th May 2001, 12:06
A few questions about studying for the ATPL groundschool exams by distance learning, using a school such as Bristol for example:

1) How many hours a week would you expect to have to study?

2) Is it feasible to work a full time job and use evenings and weekends for study??

3) Are the courses 100% distance learning or is there some classroom work? So would you need to arrange your job around these?

4) Finally how long would it take to pass all the exams, 6 months??

Help please from anyone in the know...

foghorn
30th May 2001, 13:01
Hi there Knight,

I've just finished mine: all passed first time, self-study, with 4 Forces, alongside a pretty hectic full-time job.

Answers to your questions:

1) 10-15 hours per week is expected. It really depends on how quickly you work and absorb knowledge.

2) Yes, I did, a lot of people try this. It is very hard work and does not work for some, though - do not underestimate the size of the commitment - it's basically a year with no life. I am now rediscovering my social life ;)

3) Most courses are structured in two parts. Each part has seven of the fourteen subjects, and is made up of 3-5 months self study, followed by 2-3 weeks full time, then the exams. The actual distribution of the subjects between these two sections varies from school to school. With some it can be a pain (IMHO) as it means you have to sit exams on all four exam days in both sections - other schools arrange things so that you only need to be present for two days exams for each section.

4) Most schools say that it takes a minimum of 8 months. Plan for a year. There will be setbacks, especially if you're doing a full-time job alongside.

Hope this helps,
foggy.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 30 May 2001).]

capt_kangeroo
30th May 2001, 13:03
I am in the middle of a DL course at the moment and I work full time (55+ hour week). Groan.....

You will need to allow an average of 15 hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the subject.

You can do it working full time but you need to be very organised. Set up a study plan and stick to it. But remember to give yourself some time off! R&R is good for you!

The DL course offer a classroom element, either two or three weeks for each stage. Check with the training provider as they will be able to advise you on their particular scheme.

Allow one year (six months for each stage) although it can be done in eight or nine months.

Hope this helps and good luck with the study!

Cheers
Kanga

KnightOnTheTownUK
30th May 2001, 15:47
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I underestimated just how long these exams would take!!

It must be very tough doing 2-3 hours study a night after a long days work? Then I guess you have to use up all of your annual leave to attend the classroom sessions??

Is their a timetable set by the school, so that you know if you fall behind etc..??

Cheers

K

capt_kangeroo
30th May 2001, 16:35
No problems, only hope my experience is helpful.

It is hard to get on with studying at the end of a long work day but I've found that routine helps and promising yourself a reward at the end of it helps too!

You're right about using all your annual leave for exams and study. Life goes on hold for a while but I keep telling myself I'll sleep when I'm old and make up for the lack of fun next year.

Like my fellow ppruner I am with Four Forces and they are devising a study timetable broken down into a daily and weekly study plan. It isn't available at the moment but is in the pipeline. At the moment I have a list of when each subject starts and plan my own timetable around that. Plus you have to do a marked assignment each week.

It is difficult but keep motivated and remind yourself why you are doing it! My reminder is my flight each weekend from Cranfield :)

Delta Wun-Wun
30th May 2001, 17:17
Distance Learning...working full time on shift work.Try to do 2/3 hrs a day when working and 5/6 hrs on my days off.My course is broken down into modules which last between 1/2 weeks with a progress test at the end.I have averaged approx. 25 hrs a week so far.This is working for me but as I get farther into the course I feel I may have to study longer so as to do some revision on the subject matter that I have already covered.
The main thing with Distant learning is to work at your own pace,don`t race,it will take as long as it takes.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

CLUNK
30th May 2001, 17:35
I have thought about doing one of these courses, but I haven't looked into it yet because I'm working too bl**dy hard at the moment already (can you hear a solo violin playing somewhere??)

Approx how much does it cost do one of these distance learning courses?
I would have about 10 hours per week available to study, is it possible to stretch these courses out over 2-3 years?

CommanderBlonde
28th Jun 2001, 14:17
With regards to the home study atpl course i'd just like to find out from those who have/are partaking - is there an element of note taking for revision purposes? or is it just a case of re-reading the relevant parts of the manual to revise?

Also - for the revision weeks prior to the exams is there any re-teaching? or is it mainly concentrating on mocks?

Thanks for the help guys/girls…good luck if your currently studying!

thefridge
28th Jun 2001, 20:14
Hi
Completed my course last year when it was a little easier. Did it with PPSC and took a total of 14 months. Tried to do 20 hours per week on average, 2/3 hours per night and the rest at the weekends.
Good Luck

Trislander
29th Jun 2001, 01:03
Hi,

I too am interested in the D.L.C., I was wondering whether those who are doing/ have done it find that the books all all self-explanitory enough, or whether you feel that sometimes a little help from a teacher is required?

Thanks, Tri

------------------
http://www.aurigny.com/images.gb%20/trislander.jpg
"Ayline 221 airbourne"

gimpboy
29th Jun 2001, 13:56
Hi

Has anyone done one of the full time groundschool courses like the one offered by OATS??
How did you find it??

Deputy Dog
2nd Jul 2001, 19:12
Hi Foghorn,

re 4 Forces Distance Learning...

Didn't read many good reports regarding 4 forces on other threads. basically crap notes/question feedback. Do you know what their pass rate is there, or, failing that, how many of your group passed ?

G - HIGH
3rd Jul 2001, 00:28
To everyone that's in the middle of their studying - best of luck! and to those of you who've already done it, well done boys and girls.
I've just moved down to Bournemouth, a stones throw away from the PPSC builing. I'm seriously considering taking a D.L.C there.
I've just left university, and as it happens my first real job requires me to read technical books for hours all day, so when i get in the last thing i want to do is pick up more dam books! But i will prevail, and hope like you guys to get my atpl. Best of luck to all of you out there!

Biz
3rd Jul 2001, 02:30
Foghorn & Capt.Kangeroo,
Just wondering what your thouhts on 4Forces has been? Did a search of the threads here and the basic concensus was not very good. I'd like to hear of your experiences, quality of the materials provided, etc.
Many thanx