PDA

View Full Version : Laser Protective Visors

Roofus
24th May 2001, 18:31
Firstly please excuse a civvy from jumping into your forum!
I was hoping someone may have some info. on laser protective visors. I'm not talking the massively hi-tech stuff you guys & gals use but the off the shelf visor available for the Alpha helmet.
I fly Police, UK, and the incidents of laser pens etc being shone at the aircraft is on the up. You'll have to trust me when I say that it's unpleasant when it gets the Mk1 eyeball!
Alpha's main people are advertising an off the shelf replacement for the clear visor, that is treated so as to scatter a laser & hence protect the wearer.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

ickle black box
24th May 2001, 19:05
Roofus, What kind of StarWars lasers are these kids shining at you. Anyone who can hit a heli pilot in the eye with his lasaer pen deserves a f'kin medal an a place on the UK shooting team!!

Does this belong in Pilot Frauds perhaps ??

Sloppy Link
24th May 2001, 20:12
For a laser to manage to get you in the eye at a range of 500m (assuming you are hovering at 1500ft - ish) it would have to be held rock steady accurate and then of course, you need to be sitting in a rock solid hover. At that sort of range, although the laser does prescribe a dead straight line, the quality of the laser and the divergance of the lens would mean that it's effectiveness would be reduced. In simple terms, at 5m, a laser dot of 2mm is prescribed with the accompanying intensity. At 500m, this spot is now 200mm with the accompanying decrease in intensity. On top of that, the lasers that these young scrotes who would shine them at the upholders of the law are deemed to be "eye safe" and therefore should not cause any permanent damage. For any laser visor to work, the correct wavelength that it is protecting against needs to be known, in fact by protecting against one laser can magnify the effect of a different one so could make matters worse. This probably does not help you too much but does give you an insight into the problems you are going to come up against. The most effective protection is to look to one side, the "pointer" can not maintain a steady aim any way so it will soon go away and then get a ground unit to get the little bu@@er. The main problem of course is that when it happens it is a complete surprise and takes your concentration off what you were doing at the time (dislocation of expectations) and can induce a mild panic. Once you have sorted youself out you quickly realise that you can work through an annoying distraction. The timing of the "spot" is the critical thing and I can see the potential for disaster if it happens at the wrong time. I wish you luck.

Northern Lad
24th May 2001, 20:51
One of my ex-lecturers had a very powerful laser that could melt a house brick. Better stay clear of those!!!!

Low and Slow
24th May 2001, 20:57
Contact HEADSET SERVICES.

These guys supply all the ASU's their ALPHA Helmets, and if you fly for the Police, you'll know about them and have their number. What they can't tell you about visors,or helmets is not worth knowing.

FJJP
24th May 2001, 23:46
Rufus,

There was a very recent article in Flight magazine all about anti-laser visors/specs. Can't remember which edition.

Those of you who think that you need a steady hand and a steady target should be very careful. A fraction of a second is all it takes for a laser of the wrong frequency to sweep across your eye to cause permanent damage.

A D Mate
25th May 2001, 00:05
Had a very interesting tour round what used to be Pilkingtons in N Wales but which is now part of Thales (aka Thompson CSF) (isn't everywhere?). They've sold loads of laser protective specs to the US which are seen as in thing. Visors seem a bit of a way off, but you might want to give them a bell.

[This message has been edited by A D Mate (edited 24 May 2001).]

Roofus
25th May 2001, 00:35
FJJP
Thanks for your comments.
For the doubters amongst you, a standard laser pen sold in the shops catching your eye by chance is enough to cause considerable discomfort & 'shock'. And just for info. Police night limit is 500'.
The person who 'got' me last year, is in the process of being taken to court by the CAA for the offence of 'Endangering the safety of an Aircraft' & faces the criminal charge of 'assault'(occasioning actual bodily harm!)

As for the suggestion of Headset Services...well yes they do supply ASU's but boy do you a: have to pay over the odds & b: wait forever!

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Roofus (edited 24 May 2001).]

tony draper
25th May 2001, 00:46
You should have let go a mk 84 with a laser unit on it's nose, silly bugger wouldn't have had the sense to switch it off. ;)

raytofclimb
25th May 2001, 02:04
Glad this was brought up because I was under the impression that our "tinted" visors offer not one bit of UV protection and that it was only for reducing glare.

Considering much time is spent above the white stuff in the wide blue yonder is this a health and safety issue? Dont the yanks use Baush and Lomb (or similar spelt!) lenses. Just a bit concerned since all specs carry a rating and wondered what my "cheapest bidder military issue kit" was worth.

Ray.

Tilt&Gain
25th May 2001, 14:00
Roofus,
...Sensible reply warning...
We do use groovy pink anti-laser visors when on unusual ops - I will try to find out who our supplier is.

The REAL Tilt&Gain. :mad:

[This message has been edited by Tilt&Gain (edited 25 May 2001).]

Roofus
25th May 2001, 14:46
Thanks V Much T&G

Fortyodd
25th May 2001, 18:53
T&G, When you get the info, please post it here as I'm sure that it's not just Roofus' unit that suffers from these "attacks"

Thanks

SH Monkey
25th May 2001, 21:45
T&G, I just wondered wherever anything was written in the header & footer of the page about those visors.

------------------
Which bit of dire retention problem are THEY finding hard to understand...

3m Strop Carrier
25th May 2001, 22:51
Roofus

Depending on the type of laser pen ,class 2 if bought in the uk, or class 3 if bought abroad (illegal in the UK)will dictate the required laser protection required. Normal aircraft transparancies and a standard clear visor should be enought to disperse a class 2 laser sufficently to prevent eye damage. However a dedicated protection visor is required for the class 3 types. It needs to be able to protect agaist ruby lasers around the 400-600 NM wave length. In both cases the laser will still be visible to the wearer, however eye damage should not occur.

airbreak
26th May 2001, 00:52
Roofus

I suggest that you contact
[email protected]
If you have a laser protection question, the Centre of Aviation Medicine will be the best place to start. Even us aged desk warriors have uses!
AB

Magic Mushroom
26th May 2001, 01:51
The Flight International article was in the 1-7 May 2001 issue.

Regards M2

Roofus
26th May 2001, 06:34
Thanks to most!!
Have tracked down the supplier...now just awaiting their reply & a price!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Roofus
3rd Jun 2001, 02:37
If any one is interested....
headset services provide an off the shelf replacement. £600-£700 each. Can be fitted as a direct replacement for the clear visor. Can only protect against customer specified Cat of laser.