PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 320 VH-CPP

Dora-9
27th Mar 2012, 20:40
This issue has appeared recently on the VH-MDX forum.

To recap, Cessna 320D VH-CPP, flown by one James Clay, went missing near Coolangatta on 20 Nov 1970. The aircraft and its occupants were still unlocated when ATSB released their report (Investigation 197001306) in March 1972.

I knew of the pilot and indeed flew into Coolangatta on that very murky day in an F.27.

Now, move on nearly 30 years and I’m about to return from living overseas. We’re looking at potential house purchases; one such was a property behind Murwillumbah. I noticed some battered aircraft instruments on an office shelf; one was a twin tachometer and was labelled Cessna. The response to my query “are these from the James Clay accident?” was a mumbled affirmative. I didn’t think much more about this, thinking the wreck had been discovered but, living in HK, I’d missed the news item.

I’ve been wracking my feeble aging brain, but I can’t recall exactly where the house was where I saw the instruments.

My query is: was the wreckage of VH-CPP ever “officially” located??? Or are Clay, his hapless passenger and the Cessna 320 still missing? The thought that the wreck was looted with human remains lying nearly is particularly repulsive.

RatsoreA
27th Mar 2012, 21:40
No, it was officially found.

I have a link somewhere, I'll find it and drag it up.

As to if the parts were taken pre or post it being found, I don't know...

Dora-9
27th Mar 2012, 22:10
Yes please, I'd appreciate the link....

Thanks.

arrowjock
1st May 2012, 11:31
Yes, would be very interesting. Around 1984/5 I was visiting Pt. Macquarie and the pilot friend I was visiting mentioned it had just been found. Not much other information apart from the story being published at that time in 'People' or 'Pix' - one of those sensationalist rags. Don't think they really had much idea of the facts.

Stroud
10th May 2012, 00:53
There is a McCauley prop evidently off this aircraft in the Murwillumbah museum. It is incorrectly marked as off a Wirraway. The museum are not particularly keen to accept it is of the C 320 as it was donated by a prominent local person. I have tried through ATSB some years ago to get a final report but to no avail.

arrowjock
23rd Feb 2014, 04:25
On YouTube, there is a talk by Peter Melsom entitled [U]Jame's Clays Last Flight (James Clay's last flight - YouTube). He was involved in the Jandakot - Bankstown sector. Very interesting and worth a look.

gerry111
23rd Feb 2014, 12:28
Arrowjock, fascinating but very sad. I note that the current CPP is a Piper Arrow. It shares a hangar with my favourite aircraft...

Dora-9
23rd Feb 2014, 19:04
RatsoreA: Did you ever dig up that link?

A very interesting and sobering video.