PDA

View Full Version : Pilot employment in cargo carriers

s4ex
27th Mar 2012, 09:35
The question is as follows - does the employment situation in cargo carriers differs from pax airlines? I mean, is it easier to find a position there, especially for low-hour pilots? What about the TR requirements, does the P2F schemes dominate in this environment too?

Regards.

PT6A
27th Mar 2012, 15:33
Actually I would say the cargo airlines can be harder to break into for an aspiring pilot.

For example Lufthansa cargo require 1000 hours jet time to be considered for the freighter operation, the passenger operation does not have this requirement.

Some of the smaller feeders may take low time guys, but on the whole the requirements are the same if not higher for the cargo airlines.

I can't think of any high profile airlines in this sector doing pay to fly, maybe a few with self sponsored type ratings?

Denti
27th Mar 2012, 17:06
Well, the 1000 hours for LH Cargo are mainly because they only operate MD11s which is probably not the right plane for a 200 hour wonder to learn how to handle a jet.

Aerologic and probably EAT/DHL hire low hour guys. Aerologic even set up their own cadet program, however that will lead to a job as seatwarmer, not as a pilot (SFO, not FO).

deltahotel
27th Mar 2012, 17:08
Broadly similar experience requirements. DHL have a history of taking LEPs and no P2F.

Honiley
27th Mar 2012, 19:07
There will always be jobs in Leipzig!!!

s4ex
27th Mar 2012, 19:18
Thanks for your comments. Even though LH Cargo requirements are quite high, the situation still looks promising. Hopefully it won't change in a couple of years, as I'm only starting modular route (currently PPL).
Another thing is that German carriers usually require knowledge of German, and I don't have any of that. Mastering German together with ATPL in parallel with another job will be quite of a challenge :hmm:

PT6A
28th Mar 2012, 00:06
You would also need to pass the DLR. if you can pass the DLR why not try for sponsorship via Lufthansa?

You would need to get your German in order first, however if you wish to work for one of these carriers your going to have to learn it fluently anyway.

s4ex
28th Mar 2012, 08:45
Thanks for a great advice PT6A. I'll consider that option. There's a lot of stuff going on in my head right now about future. :oh:

CookPassBabtridge
28th Mar 2012, 09:20
There will always be jobs in Leipzig!!!

Will there? I have applied via. career.aero and heard nothing yet. I'm always amazed to hear of people not wanting to go out there to work, commuting from the UK etc.

I'd move there tomorrow!

Spirit
28th Mar 2012, 16:16
Go to ppjn.com and contact DHL Air UK via the HR-address, career.aero is only for EAT

CookPassBabtridge
2nd Apr 2012, 08:11
I'd move there tomorrow!

See above...