PDA

View Full Version : Cruickshank VC

newswatcher
11th Apr 2001, 13:27
Extract from a DTel obituary for AVM Patrick O'Connor, who effectively saved this guys life. Apologies to anyone who is familiar with the event, but it made me think!

"In August 1944, a stricken Catalina flying boat ran up on the beach at Sullom Voe, Coastal Command's base in the Shetland Islands, where O'Connor was station medical officer. As he boarded the aircraft, he immediately realised that only a blood transfusion on the spot would give its pilot, Cruickshank, any chance of survival. Using such limited equipment as he had available, including a chamber pot, O'Connor stabilised the wounded man sufficiently to move him to hospital.

Only then did O'Connor appreciate the full extent of Cruickshank's 72 separate injuries, mainly in his legs and chest. Nor did O'Connor learn the story of the action in which Cruickshank had been engaged until the award of the VC came through some time later. Cruickshank had been on an Atlantic patrol when he encountered a U-boat on the surface. He tried to drop depth charges, but these failed to release so he came around for a second run.

This time they were released successfully and sank the submarine, but not before one of its shells had hit the Catalina, killing the navigator and badly wounding other crew members, including the co-pilot and Cruickshank himself. For six hours Cruickshank, bleeding profusely and lapsing in and out of consciousness, coaxed the flying boat back to the Shetlands, reaching Sullom Voe two hours before dawn. All the while he refused to accept any morphia to ease his pain, lest it affect his judgment.

Fearing that the damaged craft would sink on landing, Cruickshank circled around the base until there was sufficient light to land the Catalina in the shallows and run her up on a beach, where shortly afterwards he was found by O'Connor."

Whole obit to be found at:

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?ac=002708188855058&rtmo=QwOzSpzR&atmo=QwOzSpzR&pg=/01/4/10/db02.html

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 11 April 2001).]

Arkroyal
12th Apr 2001, 01:03
Such was the quality of our men.

For today's read the thread regarding 208's squadron badge.

What a worthy VC

Magic Mushroom
12th Apr 2001, 01:43
Ark Royal old bean,

Have to take issue with you. I feel strongly that our forces still possess many men of the moral calibre of Cruickshank (and for that matter Manser,Mynarski and Cheshire etc).

Unfortunately, the idiotic PC and civillian practise cr@p that is forced upon us these days mean that the yellow livered minority can increasingly dictate things.

However, if the situation dictated, the guys (and gals) are still there who can do the biz for Queen and Country.

Regards

M2

MrBernoulli
12th Apr 2001, 10:43
Once upon a time you could live through a brave action and come up with a VC. Unfortunately, these days you have to die to even be considered for one. The machinations of todays hierarchy seems to show that ALL awards, be they campaign or gallantry, must be rationed out. An incredibly shortsighted outlook..........and one further small nail in the coffin of disillusionment in the armed forces.

STANDTO
12th Apr 2001, 21:13
Cruickshank.........lots of those here on the Isle of Man. Wonder if any are related.

Fine tale. Always humbles me to read some of the obits in the telegraph. Demi gods, every one

St Johns Wort
12th Apr 2001, 22:12
Arkroyal

Read the latest crop of awards on the opp list, then blush. What you do then is up to you! :mad:

------------------
sub rosa

Dunhovrin
12th Apr 2001, 23:21
St JW: Any link to the latest op list?

St Johns Wort
13th Apr 2001, 00:49
Dunhoverin

Not me, but proud to know at least one of the RAF recipients

------------------
sub rosa

Davaar
13th Apr 2001, 00:57
I recall the TV interview of one VC winner.
Interviewer: "And will you tell us, Sir, what you consider the essential quality to win the Victoria Cross?" VC winner: "Inexperience".

Arkroyal
14th Apr 2001, 15:34
Sinjun and Magic.

Sorry guys, should've been more careful with my words. Of course the forces are still full of the right stuff. I'd just come from the PC versus squadron badge thread and fired from the hip.

What a story though! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Charlie Luncher
14th Apr 2001, 18:04
We took the old fella flying up and around his old stomping ground during the Battle of the Atlantic anniversary.

A very nice old chap.
Charlie sends

Strobin' Purple
15th Apr 2001, 11:45
Hey Dunhovrin me old

Why you so keen on the awards list? You after another one?

No DFCs for you any more mate, just a pat on the back from Sir Richard for burning the least fuel/ using the least amount of 1st Class peanuts.

Cheers you old war-hero

SP

Hugh Jears
16th Apr 2001, 03:27
STANDTO,

Do I know you? From an Onchan hobby bobby and Fraggle based J41 driver.

STANDTO
17th Apr 2001, 21:40
HUGH,

You most certainly do!

9 to 5 weekend off top trainer, recently returned from distinguished APS period.

Hugh Jears
18th Apr 2001, 18:00
STANDTO

Drop me an e-mail and enlighten me further as I can only narrow things down with your clues but not precisely enough to be sure!

[email protected]

SHEDSTER
7th May 2001, 23:59
For those of you interested.......

I had the pleasure of taking breakfast with the chap this morning and am pleased to report that he is alive and well despite drinking with the boys till late last night!

Most un-assuming and quite a humbling experience.