PDA

View Full Version : Brietling

rotor tree
8th Jul 2000, 04:35
Having been seduced by the lure of the Brietlings whilst parading a static at the Waddo airshow, I wondered if anyone has a good contact for a cheap deal. The best they offered at Waddo was £825 for the Aerospace. I seem to remember that the Tonka boys got a V good deal - Any suggestions or contacts will be welcome

BEagle
8th Jul 2000, 11:37
It's BREITLING - give 101 Sqn pilots' section a ring and they can put you in touch with a man (at Breitling - not the strip in Incirlik!!) who can point you in the right direction. There is an Aerospace available with a VC10 logo if you really want - I don't know about other 'specials'. Personally I prefer the pre-sloping numerals version to the current one. Good piece of kit whichever you choose!!

Bright-Ling
8th Jul 2000, 11:46
That's not a bad price. Depends on strap etc. If titanium version with non-italic numerals go and buy today! (Normally £1025 ish in the high street). There have been a couple of larger threads on Ru&news a few months ago. Lots of good info!

Personally, I think that non-badged models are a bit smarter.

bignavbag
8th Jul 2000, 12:05
Might be able to help you out,

30 Sqn @ Lyneham put a deal together a few years ago for the " aerospace " , and got a v good deal ( £ 600 I seem to remember ). Catch is they needed to garantee an order of 30 copies, all with the Sqn logo, but the boys thought that it was a good deal. As for contacts and names, will ask around as I seem to recall that someone else @ Lyn was trying to put a C130 watch buy together with similar conditions.

If you can get to a good jewellery shop get hold of a B/ling catalog and see what's around, as loads of Sqns seem to have them now.

good luck

BNV

Rock & A Hardplace
8th Jul 2000, 13:22
£650 {+ duty} for the Aerospace in the DXB Breitling Shop (can't remember the name of the mall the shop is located in). Probably the same in the Duty free.

Passing thru' next week will check for you!

[This message has been edited by Rock & A Hardplace (edited 08 July 2000).]

Dan Winterland
8th Jul 2000, 14:51
£720 in BAH duty free(+ duty).

Duty for a chrongaraph is £0.12 (bizarre!) but you also have to pay VAT.

ORAC
9th Jul 2000, 12:40
Shop in Dubai is in the City Centre Mall, first floor, opposite the Continent supermarket. I got an Aerospace with a titanium strap for £740.

T_Handle
9th Jul 2000, 19:21
The one that 30 Sqn got was a one-off special 'repetion minutes' aerospace in full titanium with a grey face and non itallic numbers. There is no such equivalent on the market and they did have to get a minimum of 30 (the lowest number for a special run Breitling has done I believe). - cost £700 with titanium 'professional' strap (about £50 cheaper with different strap).

Now I think the min order for a special is 50 or 100 and they should be available for public purchase, hence they are not as cheap a deal as they used to be.

I think I am correct in saying that the man you need to speak to is Alan Parfitt of Breitling UK. He deals with the specials and the display crew watches and the like. Have not got the address at hand - sorry.

Good luck in hunting. DF is probably a good bet.

T

[This message has been edited by T_Handle (edited 09 July 2000).]

Bright-Ling
9th Jul 2000, 21:37
I had a titanium aerospace, non-italic numerals and it was a repitition minutes version. I bought mine nr Gatwick and they said it was a 'one-off'.

Just be careful......they are all pretty much 'limited' editions in as much as there aren't thousands of them in circulation!

BEagle
9th Jul 2000, 23:35
So - amongst those of us with the good sense and taste to buy a Breitling (not to mention having wallets more capacious then an elephant's scrotum), does anyone prefer the italic numerals version? And isn't having 'Repetition minutes' on the face a bit 'Turbo-intercooler-sixteen-valve-full time-four-wheel-drive'-ish?? And how many aircrew really need a 24 hour conversion scale??
Dear Breitling - the current Aerospace model is too gaudy and flash. Go back to the pre-repetition minutes version!!

Dan Winterland
10th Jul 2000, 00:01
I prefer the italic numerals - they look more modern. But I agree the 'Repetition Minutes' is a bit naff.

FE Hoppy
10th Jul 2000, 05:46
I've got the pre-italic repetition minutes with titanium strap ( AUH down town £750 ).
I think the repetition minutes is so small it doesn't spoil the look. I do find that when I haul myself out of the pool the pressure apllied to the crown is just enough to set it of which gives me a handy reminder of how long till the bar shuts. That is however its only use.

droptank
11th Jul 2000, 12:56
Wouldn't know - still using the old Half-hunter with gold chain and fob!

Just remember you work for the only organisation which gives you a watch when you join and, 30 years later, asks for it back!

cyclops
11th Jul 2000, 17:23
;) $Sg40 buys a good looking imitation, one which still keeps excellent time and now that the chrome has worn off the bezel just looks like the latest model. Has big numbers so I can read it without the bifocals.

Bright-Ling
11th Jul 2000, 22:59
This is the link for the March discussion on watches:
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/000651.html

330GAL
16th Jul 2000, 14:24
:cool I have just met a nice man called Andrew Parfitt who works for Breitling. He attends a lot of the UK airshows, visit the stand and negotiate a good deal. Others in the RAF have already.
[This message has been edited by 330GAL (edited 16 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 330GAL (edited 16 July 2000).]

MightyGem
28th Jul 2000, 07:40
Sorry guys, I can't see why anyone wants to pay that much for a watch. Or have I missed something??

droptank
28th Jul 2000, 11:39
MG

It's a status/cult/hysteria thingy!

Mine cost £15, has a very useful feature whereby you can tell the time (which is always accurate) and I can read the face without the old giglamps!

ORAC
28th Jul 2000, 16:12
On the same basis I presume you drive a Lada, wear plastic shoes and are very proud of how your polyester trousers have lasted 20 years.

droptank
28th Jul 2000, 17:12
ORAC,

Naaaah! The chauffeur won't drive a Lada, only wear plastic footwear when shooting or fly-fishing. However, the polyester strides HAVE lasted 20 years but only because they have been lost in the attic of the West Wing for the last 19 of them. If flares ever come back though, I'll have to look for them 'cause they are a nice shade of aubergine!

fobotcso
28th Jul 2000, 19:42
ORAC nicely put. Love my Aerospace with italics and titanium/gold strap. Can't compare it with the earlier model as was never rich enough to own one. Alarm won't wake me up after even a modest evening's boozing. The sharp edge of the bezel chafes the edge of the pocket of my (non polyester) trousers. I had to economise on trousers to afford the watch.

Use 24 hour mode all the time. Can't get out of the habit.

Never use the minute repeater except to entertain my grandchildren. It must use up battery capacity. If you're SAS forget it. One accidental press of the crown when you're hiding in the a broom cupboard and you're dead. It can't be disabled.

But still love it; to an old man it's the equivalent of body piercing but without the holes.

[This message has been edited by fobotcso (edited 28 July 2000).]

Jeep
28th Jul 2000, 23:18
ORAC you have mightygem pretty well sussed, but im not sure about the lada.

MightyGem
29th Jul 2000, 06:23
Oi! I think he was refering to droptank, not me. But then I do still have my BM http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

ORAC
29th Jul 2000, 11:56
Droptank,

A chauffeur? You let someone else up front? I admit that as a consequence of some post-prandial entertainment I might cadge a lift or catch a cab. But the idea of letting someone else sit in the front and drive me around all the time is appalling!

You are not...you know...one of..them?

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Jul 2000, 13:47
Personally I am a huge fan of Oris - genuine swiss watchmakers where your watch is made and assembled in Switzerland. Lovely design as well http://www.oris.ch/images/watches/bigcrown/bc3_3.jpg

http://www.oris.ch/images/watches/bigcrown/bc3_day.jpg

http://www.oris.ch/images/watches/bigcrown/bc3_2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Wee Weasley Welshman (edited 29 July 2000).]

StopStart
29th Jul 2000, 14:24
Hmm, yes, very nice, but hardly sort the wrist attire one wants to be seen in when impressing the birds with your big jet at airshows - or in my case, impressing birds with how fast the oven heats up or how many of us can get on the top bunk together http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/WBMarv.gif

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Jul 2000, 14:31
Yeah, cos birds get sooooo impressed with Breitlings - not.

Laura Nauda
29th Jul 2000, 15:36
So it is true what they say about you fly-boys.

Big black watch, pay by cheque. Suppose that should be pay by Switch these days.

Stopstart

Please excuse me for answering for you as you may be away from your keyboard. I'm so impressed with your offering and thank you very much for doing this for us.

fizzog

If you click on http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk
you will find SS's library of images

You can also go to: http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/cwm/
choose your image and insert that url into your post. Check PPRuNe FAQs for guidance on UBB format for this site. It has been made simpler recently. The home page of that site can take ages to download even on my GTi PC depending upon INet traffic but its worth it. Save it to disk if you've space.

droptank
31st Jul 2000, 12:59
ORAC

Gosh! I see what you mean!! I may inadvertently have led you to believe that I was .... not quite... a real man! Heaven forbid! I may once have owned (still own) a pair of polyester strides but my uniform has a pair of wings on it, not just a tick!

Actually, my original post was really inspired by jealousy! Most people who knock quality are really covering up for the fact that they can't afford it, and...(what with the chauffeur's wages, wine, whiskey, women and horses).....I can't!!

ORAC
1st Aug 2000, 01:37
Wine, whiskey and a horse I can understand, but why bring the cook into the conversation?

I presume, since you refer again to a chauffeur, you have graduated to the big world where you have someone in the right seat to steer and a nubile wench to provide other services. Or are you just hoping...?

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 31 July 2000).]

maxrevs
8th Jun 2001, 21:55
Bought my Rolex GMT Master in Aden in '63. It cost me a whopping 65 quid. Had it serviced twice since then (bloody swiss!)
It's all status lads, all status!
Regards, Max

------------------
When I push the panic button, the breaker pops!

Poor Pongo
9th Jun 2001, 15:10
Despite the obvious aircrew attraction of Breitling (it's Alan Parfit who does the airshows BTW), I am unable to tear my Rolex from my wrist. The reason is simple: a close examination of Sean Connerys wrist in Dr No reveals that the first and original JB himself favoured the exact same watch. Despite the fact that he is a fishhead and not actually a fully paid up member of the two-winged master race I can think of no greater recommendation!

PP

Rude C'man
10th Jun 2001, 01:02
Alan Parfit is your man for the cheap deals on a special watch etc
Bought my Chronospace with metallic strap in chrome from Jamacia, Ocho Rios, worked out to be £650. However the wife's seen good deals in the airline staff shop in Brussels airport.
Personally I prefer the pre- itallic dials me self .
WWW- Breitlings are manufactured assembled and warranted in Switzerland
See even Crewman can afford them !

Jeep
10th Jun 2001, 04:40
The B1 i have is great. 1 second out each month and beats the pilots i fly with every mdr question i pose.

Hydraulic Palm Tree
10th Jun 2001, 13:41
Poor Pongo

Now I know that you are going to think that I am a sad puppy, but in Tomorrow Never Dies, JB sports a set of naval pilot's wings on his uniform. This is only the 3rd time 007 has been seen in uniform on screen, apparently!

Personnaly I prefer my Omega Speedmaster; a little less gaudy than the Breitling efforts.

HPT

MG
10th Jun 2001, 20:17
Rude C'man, I got my B1 from Ocho Rios as well - small world. HPT, if you watch Tomorrow never dies, Mr Bond also wears SAS para wings, so don't assume everything is correct when in uniform! Any way, you told me you couldn't be a*sed to spent all that money on a Breitling!

Cardinal Puff
11th Jun 2001, 14:06
Got a cheap Russian self winder for about $40-00. Haven't had any trouble yet but it's only three months old.

Any takers for cheapest and nastiest?

mcdhu
11th Jun 2001, 15:17
Seem to remember running a similar competition during a course at Cranditz some years ago. The winner got the watch free with 4 gallons of petrol! I guess that dates it a bit! Seriously though, the reason some of us go for the mighty Breitling in our later years is that it remains legible as our eyesight deteriorates! Careful though, the battery - which they are pleased to call a 'power pack'- costs plenty to replace.
Cheers
mcdhu

CaptainCrunch
11th Jun 2001, 15:25
Genitals,

Bought a fake Breitling in New York two years ago for 15 US - still works perfectly. Knew a chap with a real one of the same model and duly presented both to likely looking tottie for comparison. Tottie chose mine as the real one because "your mate's ones a bit chunky, innit, I think your one looks more expensive!" So, if you're planning on going on the pull in Chelmsford take the fake. Oh, and for the record I could afford a new one but the best part of 1,000 GBP for a watch is pushing it a bit. I do have a half decent Tag for flying, of course. Mind you, the cheap strap on the Breitling does smell of pee sometimes but then according to Mrs. Crunch so do I so...

Yours aye,

Cap'n Crunch

Farfrompuken
12th Jun 2001, 01:35
Fortis GMT Chronometer. Now THAT's the watch for a true aviator, not those poncy Aerospace jobs! Looks far more the part too.

opso
12th Jun 2001, 04:00
Fosters gave me a watch for drinking 96 bottles of Fosters Ice. (Not in 1 sitting!) I've had it for 4-5 years and it still keeps time to 3-5 secs/month on the original battery. Certainly the best value watch I've ever had.

Back in the Barrel
13th Jun 2001, 16:10
The majority of people I've met with fancy timepieces have been complete noshers with a penis inferiority complex. Where do you lot stand?

------------------
Cento per Cento!

CAC Runaway
13th Jun 2001, 16:32
I've got an Iraqi Air Force issue Breitling...got rid of the wrist!! Fully engraved on the back and Iraqi wings on the front inplace of the Breitling ones. Any offers anyone?

fobotcso
13th Jun 2001, 17:31
BITB, about as far away from you as possible!

Tell us, how do you actually find out that someone has a penis inferiority complex? ;)

Back in the Barrel
14th Jun 2001, 15:54
Fobotcso

Easy! They bite when bantered.

------------------
Cento per Cento!

UnderPowered
18th Jun 2001, 22:08
Alan Parfitt ain't selling cheap Breitlings any more - he's selling expensive cheap ones, in lots of 25 or more, and he isn't budging on price. Give him a call, but I'm not impressed with the 'wonderful' deals, and for the favours he's (not particularly) doing us, there's a lot of people I work with who are not going to solve his advertising problem for him, based on the amount of back scratching he's doing for us. If I we're any of us, I'd get one from the far east (and an Omega to wear in front of him at airshows)

------------------
Land with 3 greens

PurplePitot
18th Jun 2001, 23:32
Just bought my new Breitling in downtown Shanghai for about £18. £700? I don't think so!

Ancient Pelican
20th Jun 2001, 01:14
Hydraulic Palm Tree;
Are we the only two who really understand, the Omega Speedmaster Professional has been on the wrist for almost thirty years and 8,000 hrs. in copters and still works great and looks just a great!!!!!! Have an Omega Seamaster that did a tour in Nam and it still works great too.

CRP5
20th Jun 2001, 22:28
Got an OMEGA seamaster years before 007 thought they were the dogs BO!!ocks, never lost a minute in 8 years, still looks good , makes Breitlings look like somthing you win at the fair! nuff said