PDA

View Full Version : Windows Classic Shell

Mac the Knife
25th Mar 2012, 16:21
For all you power users, try Windows Classic Shell for W7

Welcome to Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/)

I don't use the Classic Explorer really though it IS good (Marko Savolainen's "CubicExplorer" [totally free] - Cubic Reality Software (http://www.cubicreality.com/) - has most of 'em beat as a file manager) but the highly customisable Start menu is a real winner.

At last I can group similar apps and utilities together and not have to trawl through Program Files to find stuff. I know this isn't a problem for most people, who only use a half-dozen apps which they can pin to the Start Menu, but if you use a lot of different apps it can get very tedious.

Grouping apps and getting proper cascading menus is a bit of shlep ("Only Administrators can move files here!") but it only took me an hour or so to get organised and now life is so much easier.

Mac :ok:

[FreeBSD, MEPIS Linux, OpenSolaris, Mac Snow Leopard, Scientific Linux, Linux Mint, Windows 7 Pro, Windows XP SP3]

Tinstaafl
26th Mar 2012, 00:37
I use Classic Shell too on Win7 that came with my new (to me)
laptop. Why M$ keep screwing around by changing well known & understood interfaces is beyond me.

Just got a new disk for it so will install XP, Win7 + Classic Shell & Linux on it.

Feline
2nd Apr 2012, 20:55
This might just save me the chore of moving back to Win XP! :ok:

And - Greetings from the Feline of Gauteng! :E

flynverted
3rd Apr 2012, 10:53
Sweet! Thanks for the link, Mac. :ok:

mixture
3rd Apr 2012, 11:26
save me the chore of moving back to Win XP

Don't do that.... I don't want the spam and DDoS attacks from yet another unpatched PC being let loose on the internet.

XP's days are numbered. No home users should be using it after end of support, and only businesses who know what they are doing should use it (i.e. one-man bands should be migrating away from XP).

Yes you may say anti-virus this and that, but fundamentally all that still relies on the core os being patched and up to date. Otherwise they'll become ever more bypassable.

MacBoero
3rd Apr 2012, 21:09
XP's days may be numbered, but there are still more than 700 of them!:p