PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Checked Bags, Staff Travel

skybug
25th Mar 2012, 04:53
I traveled LAX-SYD yesterday on UA with 2 checked bags and then SYD-BNE on QF with a ZED. I have always checked 2 bags as the allowance was two transferring from a US arrival flight.

Yesterday QF staff nailed me $30 for the second bag as she stated the new policy allows only one bag. Since when did it change and I could not find it on their website? Also, don't the staff get concessions or is QF mgmt trying to squeeze the staff the same as they do the customers?

ampclamp
25th Mar 2012, 05:12
Last I heard it was 2 bags from the Americas (weight limit ?) and also for Aus domestic 2 bags up to 23kg each.

sierra5913
25th Mar 2012, 05:12
I can't believe staff travel discounts still exists.

The corporate world has largely done away with fringe benefits 10 years ago.

crosscutter
25th Mar 2012, 05:24
In the QF case, staff travel benefits both the employer as well as the worker. It may be a privilege and not a right but it allows lower wages for office staff and has even been used in contract negotiations. It certainly is not a one way train.

ramius315
25th Mar 2012, 05:29
Sierra5913,

Are Geoff Dixon and Leigh Clifford your idols?

:rolleyes:

maggot
25th Mar 2012, 05:35
for me, staff travel is only really worth it for the flexibility it provides. A full fare is preferable in many ways, particularly when travelling as a group/family.

@ the OP; the policy has changed recently but I can't remember what the go is now & can't look it up right now, maybe later if no one else has dug it up.
:ok:

Talkwrench
25th Mar 2012, 05:39
Sierra5913:

Riiiiiight...

AFAIK, Qantas Staff Travel actually turns a profit for Qantas, so why wouldn't they continue it?

SpannerTwister
25th Mar 2012, 05:50
Bank staff don't get discounted home loans ?

Holden employees don't get staff pricing on new vehicles ?

State transit employees don't get free public transport to / from work ?

Coles staff don't get staff discount at Coles stores ?

Senior bankers don't get annual bonuses ?

Need me to keep going ?

ST

blueloo
25th Mar 2012, 06:09
Should read before posting!

Marauder
25th Mar 2012, 06:19
ST you are a very funny (sarcastic) man.

I got it

chickendrummer
25th Mar 2012, 06:21
The latest notice on the Stafftravel Website posted last June still states 2 bags at 23kg for domestic travel.

obira
25th Mar 2012, 06:39
What did it say the allowance was on your e-ticket receipt?

If it said 2 bags for the SYD/BNE sector then that's your proof, if it said one bag then...

ejectx3
25th Mar 2012, 09:56
The ridiculous part of it is.... I was traveling with 2 bags, total weight less than 32 kg, and they wanted to slug me extra baggage (as staff). So instead they directed me to go to the oversized area, put both bags in a huge plastic bag that encased both bags, thus avoiding the extra charge, but making it a night mare for the baggage handler, who now had one massive bag with no handles rather than 2 easily handled lightweight bags with handles...DERP DERP

Ken Borough
25th Mar 2012, 10:05
I traveled LAX-SYD yesterday on UA with 2 checked bags and then SYD-BNE on QF with a ZED. I have always checked 2 bags as the allowance was two transferring from a US arrival flight.

Maybe the allowance is more generous for Qantas staff than it is for Interline Staff? This is not an unreasonable position if what I think is correct.

dizzylizzy
25th Mar 2012, 10:10
BA slugged me for 2kg over my 23kg limit (single bag) even as staff. Cop it in the chin, you've still paid significantly less than a commercial fare.

Eastwest Loco
25th Mar 2012, 11:24
If you were issued a single ticket LAX SYD BNE and the baggage allowance was 2 pc on QF, then 2 pieces it would be. United's policy is one bag and pay for the second for general traffic.

A QF fare LAX SYD BNE would carry 2 free pieces up to 23kg each.

If you are however on seperate tickets QF to QF then you will have a seperate allowance on each leg. 2 pieces trans Pacific and 1 piece domestic.You obviously got a staff travel bonus on UA as they normally charge USD 65.00 for the second bag.

A QF ID ticket LAX SYD BNE would have been on the same fare basis, albeit a rebated one and as the fare bases are the same or it is one fare construction unit with combineable fare types then the 2 bag bit would have carried through.

Hope this clarifies a somewhat muddy stream.

Best regards

EWL

pppdrive
25th Mar 2012, 12:46
Unfortunately, my staff travel finished quite a few years ago and I now pay full fare when I fly. Recently travelled NPL-AKL-PEK-LHR on Air NZ and BA. 2 bags total weight 12 kgs (yes, only 12 kgs) thru checked in NPL to LHR. On check in Beijing with BA I was asked to pay excess baggage as I had 2 bags and was only allowed 1. When I said my two pags only weighed 12 kgs the reply was only 1 bag allowed. After an hour of discussion at check in they "let me off" the excess charge. The two items were a normal hand luggage type and a 3 foot long aluminium pipe. My thru ticket specified 23 kgs on Air NZ but nothing stated for the BA sector. It would have been bad as a staff passenger, but as a full fare payer I was far from amused at the BA attitude.

sierra5913
26th Mar 2012, 03:01
Sierra5913,

Are Geoff Dixon and Leigh Clifford your idols?

Certainly not.

It makes no sense to me to give up cash for travel benefits in contract negotiations. It was ok in the 70's and 80's when air travel was expensive, but not now.

sierra5913
26th Mar 2012, 03:10
Riiiiiight...

AFAIK, Qantas Staff Travel actually turns a profit for Qantas, so why wouldn't they continue it?

You mean it saves additional labour costs.

Taildragger67
26th Mar 2012, 04:58
Sierra,

Keep in mind that, at least in the case of sub-load, it is simply filling seats that are otherwise empty at the time of flight closure (less than an hour to go) when no further sales to revenue pax or check-ins would be possible. May as well get something for them.

One of those things which has minimal cost (indeed, is a positive) to the giver but high value to the receiver.

pull-up-terrain
26th Mar 2012, 05:00

Need me to keep going ?

ST

Actually, Coles give there employee's a 5% discount :E

73to91
26th Mar 2012, 05:33
pull-up as Marauder said - I think he was being very funny.

Coles staff card gets discount at plenty of other stores in the Coles Group, our daughter works at Coles whilst studying and it comes in handy from Target to Officeworks.

Senior bankers.... at the CBA it's not just the senior bankers who get a bonus.

sierra5913
26th Mar 2012, 06:15
Sierra,

Keep in mind that, at least in the case of sub-load, it is simply filling seats that are otherwise empty at the time of flight closure (less than an hour to go) when no further sales to revenue pax or check-ins would be possible. May as well get something for them.

One of those things which has minimal cost (indeed, is a positive) to the giver but high value to the receiver. Just so I get it straight, employees wait at the gate till the sales close then get a ticket if there are any empty seats?

Then there is a website dedicated to staff travel. Reading through other threads on this topic it seems to be an industry all by itself.

For someone like me for 20 years, I've mostly end up paying full economy fare because I have to fly on very short notice. I find it somewhat unfair that employees are getting seats (and according to anecdotal evidence, business class upgrades) when I haven't ever been upgraded. In my line of work, there are no fringe benefits. They were gone in 2002. No cars, no corporate cards. You use your own money and at the end of the month it gets expensed only with tax invoice attached. You want something? The store is down the road. Full retail price. You'll be helping sales numbers too. :ugh:. This is what the corporate world is becoming.

I'm not against staff travel, just surprised it still exists in an era of small profit margins. If it works on a salary sacrifice type system, then fair enough. Anyway, be that as it may, good luck to those who get it. I know you work hard with long hours and do deserve it.

teresa green
26th Mar 2012, 07:10
Staff travel is a sport. It is full of anxiety, rat cunning, lies, and frustration. Where else can they hold you back until 6 mins before the door is closed, (even though the aircraft is only half full) where the staff both ground and CC can treat you with absolute disdain (and get away with it) where a just employed catering worker gets a seat and a 40 year Captain is lucky to get the jump seat. Got to love it.

Longbow25
26th Mar 2012, 10:01
That's exactly why not one cent of my cash goes to supporting the airline I work for.

It used to be a great place to work; now it's not much more than a cash cow for it's LCC's and shadow airlines.

Paying the bills and buying the aircraft while they make the profit.

I can, and do, pay full commercial rate at a rival airline to be treated as a human by an airline that cares, that isn't being deliberately run into the ground by a scheming failure of a CEO.

Only the Executives get to travel up front or better still on "must go" duty travel.:mad::mad::mad:

NIK320
26th Mar 2012, 11:05
What happened to the unwritten rule of looking after fellow staff?
One of the first things I was taught when I started with an airline was to overlook those sort of things when you have a passenger on a zed fare.

HF3000
26th Mar 2012, 13:00
Mate of mine at Holden gets 35% discount on new Holden cars. He can generally sell it for at least what he paid after 12 months and get another new one. They effectively provide him with a new car every year for nothing.

Believe it - he doesn't make much money but he's always driving around in a current year model Holden.

Staff travel in airlines makes a profit for the airlines - as to your question that you can't believe they still do it - well, they wouldn't if it didn't make them a profit in this day and age!

And it's not that cheap for the staff these days either - domestically it's often close to the same price as a firm seat on a LCC.

stainedpantystealer
26th Mar 2012, 14:12
*From QF staff travel website...

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES*

From 1 June 2011*- Qantas domestic checked baggage policy will change from a weight based system to a piece and weight based system. Qantas will be strictly enforcing checked and carry-on baggage allowances worldwide. Where weight or number of pieces exceeds the baggage allowance, excess baggage charges will be imposed. As staff travellers receive a generous checked baggage allowance please ensure that you comply with the allowance or carry sufficient funds to pay for the excess amount.
From 15 September*2011*- Heavy baggage charges will be applied for staff and duty travel passengers exceeding the checked baggage allowance

Checked baggage allowances on Qantas and QantasLink flights are set out below.* To be carried without additional charge, your checked baggage must not exceed these allowances.

Checked Baggage Allowance
Travel
Effective for travel from*1June11
Australian Domestic
2 pieces - maximum 23kg (50lb)**per*piece**
-*see qantas.com for weight dimensions*
Infants - no allowance
QantasLink*
1 piece - maximum 23kg (50lb) per piece**
- see qantas.com for weight dimensions
Infants - no allowance*
QantasLink – to/from Lord Howe Island
1 piece at 14kg (30lb). Above 14kg and up to 23kg may not travel on same flight due to aircraft weight restrictions.*
QantasLink – to/from Olympic Dam
1 piece at 16kg (35lb). Above 16kg and up to 23kg may not travel on same flight due to aircraft weight restrictions.*
QantasLink – to/from Mount Hotham
Limit of 1 ski or snowboard bag per passenger and one other piece of baggage, with a total kit not exceeding 23kg.
Qantas International (excluding The Americas)
30kg per ticketed passenger
Infants - 10kg*
Qantas to / from The Americas (North and South America)*
2 pieces - Maximum 32 kg (70lb) per piece. Infants - 1 piece at 10kg, total dimensions must not exceed 115cm, 45ins
Interline Carriers International*- excluding British Airways

British Airways*
20kg per ticketed passenger
Infants - 10kg

20kg per ticketed passenger (1 bag per ticketed passenger only)*

Carry on Baggage
Australia
2 carry on bags
Each bag not to exceed 105 linear cm (41ins)
Maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) per piece.
Or
1 carry on bag not exceeding 105 linear cm (41ins)
plus
1 garment bag (non-rigid frame/unfolded) not exceeding 185 linear cm
Maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) per piece.
Or
1 bag not exceeding 115 linear cm (45ins)
Maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs)
QantasLink
1 carry on bag not exceeding 105 linear cm (41ins)
Qantas International*
1 carry on bag not exceeding 115 linear cm (45ins)
Or
1 garment bag (non rigid frame/unfolded)
Not exceeding 185 linear cm

Baggage Policy - Domestic*

All Qantas staff travellers travelling on Duty Travel or Leisure Travel benefits within Australia only, will be required to wiat for the next available flight if their baggage does not arrive on the flight they have travelled on.

This standard will be adhered to only when the next arriving flight from the point of the passengers origin is within 1.5 hours of their arrival at destination airport.

If the next available service from the point of the passenger's origin is in excess of 1.5 hours or if the passengers baggage fails to arrive on the next scheduled service, then a mishandled baggage file will be raised, and the staff member will be subject to the standard conditions, policies and procedures as a full commercial passenger.

Ken Borough
26th Mar 2012, 22:27
where a just employed catering worker gets a seat and a 40 year Captain is lucky to get the jump seat.

teresa,

Is this assertion fact or fiction?

I think most punters out there are rather envious of our Staff Travel benefits so I reckon the best thing is to do is to STFU rather than slag off about how rotten it is in a public forum. No employee benefits scheme is perfrect but I think Staff Travel serves us very well and have little if any complaint about it.

BackdoorBandit
26th Mar 2012, 22:54
Sierra

Just so I get it straight, employees wait at the gate till the sales close then get a ticket if there are any empty seats?

That is correct, and if there are no seats wait for the next flight and hope for the best.
Cheap - yes, reliable - not if you have to get to a wedding!

neville_nobody
27th Mar 2012, 13:06

QF makes too much money out of staff travel to not have it.

If a manager such as yourself moved to abolish staff travel I'm sure someone from finance would be having a 'quiet word'

Funnily enough they have always been very cagey about how much they make out it which would suggest the answer is alot.

Stiff Under Carriage
27th Mar 2012, 13:26

Need me to keep going ?

ST

Actually Bankers do get discounted Home Loan rates and fees etc. I know, as I'm benefiting from it!

Was told recently that the 1 piece rule couldn't even be overrided for Q staff. This was debated when I was about to be charge for it when traveling as staff from another airline.

Crap AFAIAC.

73to91
27th Mar 2012, 22:05
Off Topic but still Staff Travel:

My neighbour told me yesterday that staff check-in at SIT has been given the flick. Now everyone has to queue with other pax at the appropriate counters for a particular flight, even duty travel and positioning crew.

My only comment was ‘but what happens when you are asked to come back in 30 or 40 minutes, come back where?’

Neighbour said, no doubt manager at SIT got his/her bonus based on reduction of staff but scary thing is that without dedicated staff looking after check-in, will staff simply load friends with lower category before staff with higher category?

It, staff travel, might make money but gee they like to make things difficult.

parabellum
27th Mar 2012, 23:08
Neighbour said, no doubt manager at SIT got his/her bonus based on reduction of staff but scary thing is that without dedicated staff looking after check-in, will staff simply load friends with lower category before staff with higher category?

In a decent airline once you have reported at the ticket desk, your upload and upgrade priorities have been entered into the system, then the system does the rest and it would require positive dishonesty by check-in staff to over ride the system and either upload or upgrade in the wrong order.

In SIA staff travel was a very good 'earner' yet SIA's staff travel is probably amongst the worlds worst for generosity, crap T & Cs for retirees etc. where a lot of money could be made, but one of the Worlds best when it comes to efficiency and fairness of operation.

Taildragger67
28th Mar 2012, 06:20
Just so I get it straight, employees wait at the gate till the sales close then get a ticket if there are any empty seats?

Not quite. You rock up to check-in, if there is plenty of room they might give you a boarding pass straight away, but more likely it's "thanks, come back in x minutes" (which will be shortly after the flight has closed for check-in and they've run their numbers).

Then if there is room and you can get on, you'll get your boarding pass and can then proceed to the gate. Naturally for international you can't go through immigration and security without a boarding pass.

If there's no room, then you get shifted to try your luck with the next flight, or come back tomorrow.

As a result, it really is not possible for a sub-load staff ticket to prevent a revenue passenger from uplift.

teresa green
28th Mar 2012, 07:44
Its happened Ken. A scenario. Me (very old S/O), flight HRE/PER. 3/4 fulled A/C (one flight a week) Staff on board, 4 Australian Airlines, 6 Ansett Airlines (This is in the nineties) no QF staff. This has us scratching our heads, ALWAYS QF staff on this flight. Skipper says to FSD/CSM where is the staff, no idea he says. Skipper says go check (being only one flight a week) OK says CSM. CSM finds distraught QF staff in terminal being held back, no seats they are told, why asks CSM at least twenty seats available, QF staff have been rude lately so no seats she replies! Dumbfounded CSM says well you better :mad: well find them some and they did, we left twenty minutes late, but with very grateful and distressed staff. So sometimes it goes down to the ground staff and the mood they are in, and yes I have been busted only to find Ansett staff got a guernsey, and yes my Skipper son has found its the jump seat or walk, but there are other staff on board. Like QF, staff travel moves in strange and mysterious ways, I am sure other pilots have similar stories.

PPRuNeUser0198
28th Mar 2012, 08:11
I would think you'll find staff travel is a cost to Qantas.

FBT, a department with staff just for staff travel etc...

Kiwiconehead
28th Mar 2012, 13:12
Was told recently that the 1 piece rule couldn't even be overrided for Q staff. This was debated when I was about to be charge for it when traveling as staff from another airline.

you get charged excess baggage on Qantas if you are duty travel - really handy for engineers travelling with toolboxes - a few people got caught until we found out after you booked you duty travel, you had to email to ask for excess.

Jetstar is better - saw a Qantas link Engineer charged excess for toolbox and generator he was carrying to fix aircraft - management solution was engineer should use his credit card to pay - that was declined.

What happened to the good old days when I had a red tail busted upline, lob over to Ansett, throw a toobox and spares in the hold and get a seat upstairs - and the girls wold usually stick you up the front. Worked the same the other way.

Transition Layer
28th Mar 2012, 13:40
Looks like it's true:

STAFF TRAVEL NOTICES

23 March 2012

Changes to Staff/Duty Travel check-in at Sydney International Airport:

Effective Wednesday, 4 April 2012 the dedicated Staff Travel check-in counter at Sydney International Terminal will close.

Please see below details on the new check-in arrangements for staff, duty travellers (including paxing crew).

All Staff travelling on leisure standby, waitlisted or confirmed flight status;
Please proceed to the Economy check-in counters relevant to your destination.

Duty Travellers holding a waitlisted flight status in all classes;

Duty Travellers holding confirmed economy flight status:

Duty Travellers holding a confirmed business (or first class) flight status;
Please proceed to the Business class check-in counters relevant to your destination.

Staff and Duty travel regrades will be offered at either check-in or the departure gate, depending on availability.

Feeling engaged are we people? :{

Keg
29th Mar 2012, 01:38
Lol. That should be interesting. I wonder what scheduling will do when the flight departs because the paxing crew are still standing in line waiting to check in?

pull-up-terrain
29th Mar 2012, 04:24
This is slightly off topic. I was using staff travel to fly up to brisbane recently. (Managed to get seat 1A, only passenger in business class :E). The self check in counter asked me for my QF frequent flyer points card number. Has anyone tried to see if it works on staff travel :E
Could of possibly made a few thousand frequent flyer points.

Keg
29th Mar 2012, 04:45
Even if it did it would only be status credits, not actual points.

And no, it doesn't work.

PPRuNeUser0198
29th Mar 2012, 09:58
Feeling engaged are we people?

I am not sure what your post means? Staff have been checking in at economy counters in many Australian ports for years e.g. Melbourne.

It is unnecessary really to require a dedicated desk for sub-load etc. Just line up like every one else...

startingout
29th Mar 2012, 10:57
Guys not wanting to be a pain but take the staff travel discussions to qrewroom... probably not the best show putting it on here.

I've tried the ff number before on both duty and staff travel it shows up as a non-status credit flight but registers that you flew.

Skystar320
29th Mar 2012, 12:02

Know of someone who works at a bank and they do get a discount, rather crummy one...

SpannerTwister
29th Mar 2012, 12:14
Guys ...............

Know of someone who works at a bank and they do get a discount, rather crummy one...
My post was in response to "sierra5913" posting.......

Need me to keep going ?

ST

So, to be clear, I was asking our dear friend sierra5913, rhetorically, if he was aware that many groups of employees do actually get some form of staff discount.

ST

Neptunus Rex
29th Mar 2012, 15:50
T-Vasis

I would think you'll find staff travel is a cost to Qantas.

FBT, a department with staff just for staff travel etc...The Staff Travel Department of any large airline handles all aspects of Staff Travel, not just discounted leisure travel. There are significant requirements for managerial staff flying to meetings, engineers going to outports, crews re-positioning and more - many of which need to be accommodated at short notice.

In addition, the more enlightened airlines have the facility for staff to book their tickets on line, thus doing away with extra staff and the wasted time involved in having to visit a company office to lodge applications.

If managed properly, there are benefits and savings to both company and staff.

Transition Layer
29th Mar 2012, 23:09
T-Vasis

My comment was reference to other large airlines (BA, Emirates come to mind), that have a dedicated check-in ROOM let alone a counter. Although these airlines fly to more than half a dozen destinations - pretty soon QF Staff Travel will be useless anyway.

Having to mill around a check-in counter nervously waiting for a boarding pass is not a good look for commercial pax IMO. Anyone who has flown out of Sydney in the afternoon period when 3 Jumbos/A380s depart within an hour will know it's possible to have in excess of 100 standby staff at the counter, like seagulls waiting for a hot chip.

Long Bay Mauler
30th Mar 2012, 06:13
In reply to some earlier posts, you are beholden to the ground staff at the service desks/check-in.

On more than one occasion I have seen and complained about check in staff upgrading those not entitled to a higher class of travel or even uplifting staff with a lower travel category.

When staff travel works properly,it is a very good condition of employment.When it doesn't,I wish I had bought a full fare. But hey, that's the game.

Bad Hat Harry
30th Mar 2012, 06:31
"pretty soon QF Staff Travel will be useless anyway."
QF Stafftravel is a farce.The best function of this facility is interline.
I haven't travelled QF for years.I use interline carriers exclusively.Greater range of destinations,better product,better check in,treated like a human being etc.etc etc.

havick
30th Mar 2012, 07:23
As someone that is not in the airlines, what is interline?

Jethro Gibbs
30th Mar 2012, 08:04
pretty soon QF Staff Travel will be useless anyway

How true would have thought wondering if anyone will have a job let alone thinking about friggin staff travel :ugh:

RampDog
31st Mar 2012, 04:50
So, businesses have at their disposal a built in customer base, their own employees, that generally remains loyal to the firm products, Many employers dangle the carrot of discounted products for their staff and it's still seen as a valuable fringe benefit that you don't get taxed on. As most would agree it's not just about the wages or salary, is it? Anyway Qantas is recognizing that there is still definitely money to be made from employee travel! See below from the latest QF Friday Flyer

***HAVE YOUR SAY – CONFIRMED STAFF TRAVEL POSSIBILITY Qantas Staff Travel is considering a new complement to their existing product offering. For travel on Qantas-operated domestic and international services, the additional product would enable the purchase of confirmed Staff Travel tickets. Staff Travel is asking employees to register their interest via an online survey from 30 March to 13 April. The survey will determine if the project to implement Confirmed Staff Travel will proceed. Read additional information and complete the survey by visiting "link deleted" ****

C441
31st Mar 2012, 07:03
To be honest, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago.

Firstly, I'd be surprised if the confirmed seats are available more than a few days before the date of departure and only then if the flight looks to have sufficient seats likely to be commercially unsold.

As a regular commuter, I rarely fail to get a seat on a flight of choice - albeit that choice is carefully made after studying seat availability and a few other factors.

This process will, in effect simply adjust unload categories and generate more revenue.

Like most I always purchase an upgradable ticket as it gives me a few more chances to get a seat on the flight. For that same reason I will now often have to buy a 'confirmed' seat at apparently significantly greater cost, in order to retain the same relative onload category.

The same number of Staff passengers will be listed, they'll just be onloaded in a different order and Staff Travel will rake in a few more dollars.

SpannerTwister
31st Mar 2012, 10:00
In the "TN" days you could nominate one flight a year as your "Confirmed Annual Leave" trip (remember those staff-travel application forms, about the same size and shape as a cheque?).

The available "Confirmed Annual Leave" flights were controlled by Yield Management, sure they were lunch-time on Tuesdays flights and not 5.00pm on Fridays, but as long as you picked the right flights your annual leave trip was stress-free!

I really don't think that's asking too much!

ST

Qantas 787
31st Mar 2012, 11:15
The confirmed staff travel should have been offered years ago - I suspect you would need to pay more for a confirmed Y seat (still upgradable if space available on the day) but still, that would give them more income and make it more attractive. I know people love the upgrade but just getting on is the majority of the stress.

timos
31st Mar 2012, 13:49
Can anyone enlighten me. Re QF staff travel procedures.
If I have a lower Onload to Y class (eg Y42) to someone else's (Y40) but i have a higher J upgrade code (J15) to that someone else (J17) and say for example there is only one J class seat left on the whole flight ie no Y seats left THEN who does the computer (or check in staff) allocate that J seat to? To the better Onload person OR me with the higher upgrade code but lower Onload? Confused. Cannot get a straight answer from anyone. Some say one thing some say the another Anyone know for sure? T:confused:

dizzylizzy
31st Mar 2012, 19:49
It seems to be a similar scheme to the BA hotline tickets, which is a set percentage off the commercial tickets(including sale fares) - commuters generally purchase hotline tickets in advance & still gain the FF points from it. Its a great system & works well.

Wonder if it will be the same or similar OR just be a set percentage discount not available on red-edeals. Time will tell....

Keg
31st Mar 2012, 22:49
timos, there are a couple of options available to the check in staff.

1. Upgrade commercial pax into J class, person with higher onload category in Y gets on.

2. Onload staff passenger who can take advantage of upgrade category. So if you have a J upgradeable and they don't then you get on in this case.

In your exact example, the person with the higher onload gets on board first. They'd also get the upgrade because you're not on board the aircraft and so they're not competing with anyone for the seat. They unload everyone they can first and THEN they look at the upgrade. The staff travel website actually goes through this example I think.

If option 2 above is in play, it depends on the day, on the check in staff member, whether there are commercial pax suitable for upgrade, etc. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the onload category trumps all else. After that is done we start squabbling over who gets moved closer to the front.

timos
1st Apr 2012, 10:39
Thanks Keg,
Thought it was so. I guess it cannot be all ALTEA determined and there is a certain amount of input from ground staff as per the scenarios you mention. And having the higher upgrade code is virtually useless unless you have a good Onload code!
Cheers
T

Qantas 787
1st Apr 2012, 11:14
Keg is right in what he says - the system will sort people by onload and upgrade category, so the system does select the order. However, it can obviously be overwritten. It is clear there is no audit process after the flight has departed to make sure the rules are followed.

Animalclub
1st Apr 2012, 23:41
The better you treat check-in staff the more chance you have of getting on the flight. Even better if you know the Supervisor at check-in!!!

As was said by Qantas 787...
It is clear there is no audit process after the flight has departed to make sure the rules are followed.

qfcabin
3rd Apr 2012, 06:32
The Staff Travel site lists categories of people listed for each flight. I've seen staff waiting with laptops checking as each flight is filled, and assume if you're, say 5th, inline on the computer, you will be questioning if 6 people are called and you still have no BP.

It may not be as easy to over ride as some think.

timos
3rd Apr 2012, 06:51
So the list the website provides IS ordered as per Onload cass priority / and then Upgrade class (if any)....subject to to ground staff manual modification. It has happened to me, where I was disadvantaged, hence my question. Thanks for all your info. As the case may be *it seems* Ground Staff can have the final say in the process even though this is rare.

another superlame
3rd Apr 2012, 08:50
Just to make life harder and staff travel more difficult, the boffins have decided to do away with the standby counter.

pppdrive
3rd Apr 2012, 15:41
I've been out of aviation for some years now but there certainly used to be a way of 'fooling' the QF check in computer to accept any standby passenger as if they were a confirmed passenger. Once this had been done, a boarding card would be printed even though the flight may well be oversold. I can't state this is still the case, but it certainly used to be very easy to have the computer change a standby to confirmed without the tell tale 'evidence' that could be checked out later.
Paul

skybug
11th Apr 2012, 03:19
Interline refers to staff travel between other airlines. Like a QF staff traveling on BA.

skybug
11th Apr 2012, 03:29
stainedpantystealer *From QF staff travel website...

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES*Thanks, that info helped.

indamiddle
12th Apr 2012, 13:02
there are 2 or 3 ports in the shrinking network where a few sly dollars can get you an upgrade beyond your due. a certain port in the USA onloads who they like in whatever order they like. this was proven last year in an unofficial audit by crew trying to (successfully) keep their staff travel privileges. helps if you know someone on the ground who can print out the P/ and S/ lists with name and category and accidentally put it on the counter where staff can see it

73to91
30th Apr 2012, 03:37
the system will sort people by onload and upgrade category, so the system does select the order
I was told over the weekend that it's not working very well at all.

Plenty of staff travellers complaining, plenty of staff not getting on when seats are available and the staff at the airport are complaining as well.

Examples:
Old Dedicated Staff Check-in:
· Single staff member checks in, thinks they are OK as they have highest priority of 9 staff listed for flight with 5 Y class seats only. (pax 1)
· Single staff member checks in, has 2nd highest priority of 8 staff listed for flight. (pax 2)
· Family of 4 check-in knowing things may be tight and are advised of that by the experienced check-in staff. (pax 3 to 6)
· Staff member (of family) advises check-in staff that they are happy to return tomorrow if they do not all get on.
· Single staff member checks in, thinks they are OK as they are travelling alone, knows that a family of 4 are ahead of them (according to staff travel web site) in on load category. (pax 7)
· Staff and partner check in with a lower category than family of 4, also aware that things are tight. (pax 8 & 9)
· Flight closed- no late commercials & no, no-shows etc, still 5 Y seats & 9 staff:
- Pax 1 & 2 receives boarding passes, (3 seats left)
- Family of 4 advised that only 3 seats available and they in turn, advise that they will return next day.
- Dedicated and experienced check-in staff simply call pax 7, 8 & 9 and issues boarding passes,
This is apparently how it worked.

New Non-Dedicated Staff Check-In.
· Pax 1 to 6 asked to return to enquiry counter in 45 minutes.
· Pax 7, 8 & 9 advised immediately that they will not get on,
· Flight closed- no late commercials & no, no-shows etc, still 5 Y seats & 9 staff – although pax 7, 8 & 9 have given up thinking that check in know their stuff and staff travel web site showed that they may not get on anyway.
- Pax 1 & 2 receives boarding passes, (3 seats left)
- Family of 4 advises that they do not wish to travel separately,

· Flight closes – 2 staff have boarding passes, 3 seats available.

The scenario above shows Y class only but is happening in all classes.

What else is happening is staff are provided with upgrade boarding passes i.e. check-in at Y counters, pass through immigration and get to gate only to be told that J & W are full. No problems except, it has happened where Y is now full because staff in Y who are not entitled to upgrade are happily waiting to board but then get called and told you have been off loaded!!

Flow on – staff have to trudge back and clear immigration, bags have to be retrieved but not always (which adds additional costs in retrieving them from an overseas port, refunds arranged (full refunds for staff who now decide not to travel and for staff who have purchased J tickets but travel in Y only).

All because 1 new manager has decided what happens at domestic can also work at SIT.

When I was told about this on the weekend, I asked how it happens overseas and the reply was simple, it works OK simply because no other station has the volumes that SIT has each day. Lady from SIT also told us that QF will introduce the JQ thing where full paying pax can purchase available J class seats when checking in, making staff travel even less desirable.

30th Apr 2012, 12:09
Lady from SIT also told us that QF will introduce the JQ thing where full paying pax can purchase available J class seats when checking in, making staff travel even less desirable.
This has been happening since before Christmas!

Tiareprincess
23rd May 2012, 12:16
I wonder how the new 'upgrade at the gate' trial will impact upon staff upgrades. Isn't that when staff upgrades are done- after flight closes? Will the system just process high status FF upgrade requests before closing then re-grade staff if available space? Seems like it will be less likely for staff to get upgrades...