PDA

View Full Version : 'Twas on the good ship Venus.

Kharon
24th Mar 2012, 04:08
T'other night over a few cool ones, the conversation drifted around to novels read and enjoyed. One book got a bit of air play as no one could remember the title. Anyway, the story was based on an arms dealer who had in his employ a 'signer'. The 'Signer' as the name implies signed everything from hotel bills to dodgy paper work for arms deals.

About then some bright spark pops up "just like 'he who shall not be named' he cries, 'same deal, gets the dough, gets the kudos, gets the publicity but no real horsepower, at all'. The 'debate' ended up hilarious (as these thing do) but not until a few good points (and pints) had been made. ("My boys you should have seen us; the figure head, in the Captains bed' etc.)

Anyway, the questions are –
Does being the signer give you the horsepower to act independently or, do you remain a cat's paw for the power behind the throne?.
Just how far, as the 'signer' of things would the power behind the throne allow you to chart down your own course?.

There's lots of good arguments in there, one way and the other. Thought I'd hand it over to our learned colleagues for discussion.
Handing over.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
24th Mar 2012, 04:36
Hi 'K',

I rekkon the 'signer' would be 'firmly bound by the things not-so-long- and not-so straight to do just wot and ONLY wot he/she (Did I say SHE..??) is
TOLD to sign...and not a pennysworth more!! IMHO of course....

The coloured people (not the red ones, but the g***nssss) may otherwise take offence, get upset, expectorate the baby's pacifier, and take their bat and ball home.

As far as charting one's 'own course', .....
The only 'tools of trade' allowed for a 'signer', is a bent stick and a 'fat pencil' - except of course when performing one's duty of 'signing'....
which in itself requires a 'flourishing swishing hand' encompassing a 'fine instrument' covered in 'spinning' material....

An ex signer who 'abdicates' or is 'abdicated from' the position is then entitled to become a 'singer' and put more pen to paper in the form of a book....
And charge extra for 'signed copies'....
'Tis a 'well - charted' course....of course.

Anyway.....:p

Sunfish
24th Mar 2012, 07:54
"The Night Manager" by John Le Carre.

Yes, the very rich and deceitful do use "Signers" they never do their own dirty work or allow themselves to be caught in print. They always operate under rules of plausible deniability.

I was going to wite something about Rupert Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks, but thought about being sued, so I didn't.

Kharon
24th Mar 2012, 09:38
Sunny- courtesy of FA (aka Voltaire) we have either a cigar or banana this week for our winners; your choice.

I did, with some certainty bet a beer it was Carre, but the title was on the old to do list. Cheers.:D

From the hard disc the signer was "Corky", Roper the villain, forgot the "Girl and the Managers name. Re read coming on.

You could write a small piece on your subject of choice, just don't sign the bloody thing. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif