PDA

View Full Version : compass question

gub
23rd Mar 2012, 22:35
Can anyone tell me what fluid is normally used in a compass. the smell of the stuff that is in there is famiar, but after sniffing light oil, diesel,parrafin and every other light oil substance i have on the shelf the sniffer is confused . thanks Gub.

Scotty Beamup
23rd Mar 2012, 22:49
Aircraft spruce sells compass fluid, it costs pennies.

stevef
23rd Mar 2012, 23:15
It's a petroleum distillate of some kind, naptha rings a bell.

Firebird
25th Mar 2012, 22:49
In Canada we refer to it as the Whisky Compass. maybe in Europe it would be called the Scotch Compass. Just kidding..........

Kuchan
26th Mar 2012, 00:05
It could be Isopropyl alcohol (evaporated easily) or purified kerosene ( higher density) or Vodka in Russia or Potcheen in Ireland or Moi Tai (95% proof) in China. Isn't it the reason your compass was emptied. :bottom up:

grounded27
26th Mar 2012, 03:24
Is there any chance of the compass exploding when you key up an HF? (must see thread in tech log).

gub
26th Mar 2012, 05:22
Thanks for the feedback. For the moment problem solved, a drop of our most expensive kerosine heating oil appears to have done the trick. gub.

Spitfire.
8th Apr 2012, 15:40
My god! Are you not working to Maintenance documents?! You're a brave soul coming here and asking these questions in public. Then stating what you did to rectify the defect, by using perhaps the wrong fluid. :eek:

NutLoose
8th Apr 2012, 17:08
I think you will find it is not for an airworthy item, mearly a collectible.

gub
19th Apr 2012, 22:07
Spitfire fear not for my safety or engineering integrity, the aforementioned compass merely points the direction in a three axis simulator that i designed and manufactured for a corporate entertainment company. Gub.

unimo55
30th Apr 2012, 13:46
In an emergency, you can use Gin (Gordon's is best)
If the emergency involves a compass that's lost its fluid, refill it with Gin.
If the emergency involves a downed aircraft with a failed engine in a remote location, but with a serviceable compass, drink the contents of the compass (always make sure you have some tonic on board).

ampclamp
6th May 2012, 11:41
Never worked on the bench but have been told it was toluene by old war horses. Sounds doubtful. Some references say kero or silicone oil

Hasherucf
6th May 2012, 22:48
AIRPATH COMPASS REPAIR KITS - COMPASS FLUID: 1/2 PINT & QUART from Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/repairkit1.php)

Do it right ! $4.90 for a quart. Stuff smells like crap but not flammable like other suggestions here

Spitfire.
8th May 2012, 11:56
Phew :O In that case, i'd go with the rum, just because you can :}

usquamlad70
15th May 2012, 00:16
Normally its the correct stuff but if you want to live life on the edge try Nitro Glycerine, or you could consider the environment and use sunflower oil.

onetrack
15th May 2012, 00:50
The following are some of the main types of compass liquid ingredients:

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) / distilled water ...

Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) / distilled water ...

Kerosene (paraffin oil) ...

Silicone oil ...

Mineral oil ...

I was under the impression that Glycerin was also used - but perhaps Glycerin is restricted to only gauge damping?

SeldomFixit
15th May 2012, 05:46
Glycerine would cause large hysteresis so only useful as a gauge dampener.